Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSOD When installing Windows

Default BSOD When installing Windows

Hi guys, I'm building a system based around a GA-EP45-DS5. Everything seems ok until I try to install windows and about a minute in I get a BSOD. I've noticed the SATA and IDE lights come on and I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. There's also a message mentioning a pci but I've only got a graphics card installed (Gigabyte 8500) Processor is Q9550. Corsair 2x2gb 1066. Seagate Barracuda.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Pete

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BSOD When installing Windows

Try it with only 1 stick of ram in slot one.

You likely need some settings adjusted for 2x2GB. tRFC needs to be 52-62 for 2x2GB as well as you need to add +.2-3 MCH Core

If this does not help, please post back with more info

Ok, just tried it with the one stick in slot one and I'm still getting a BSOD. It happens at the same place into the windows installation. Roughly just before it asks you to format.

This is what I keep getting, same message every time.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08

pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

The only card I have installed is the graphics (Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT 512MB). I don't have another card to try in it's place.

Oh yeah and the SATA and IDE leds are still lighting up momentarily.

Thanks for your help!

Did a real quick google of your problem. I may have found an answer for you. Have a look at this thread if you are trying to install with an older XP disk : PCI.SYS Windows XP pro will not install please help - TechSpot OpenBoards

Spoiler: It looks like petefloyd prolly needs SP2 integrated to get the installl to work.
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 08-17-2008 at 11:29 PM.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Yup that did it alright, all it needed was SP2. You'd think they would mention it in the manual.

Thanks for your help guys, PrairieDawg = Legend, thanks man!

Nice Fine PrarieDawg. Thanks for the quick help

I often forget to even ask when people say "Install XP" if it has SP2 or not. I do ask though now about Sp2 or SP3, SP0 is so old, but I guess alot of people still do keep the disks around

Yeah for the time being SP2 is the best way to go for music production. Is there any way I can get my windows disc replaced for a copy with SP2 integrated. Do you think microsoft would oblige or could I try the store where I got the disc?

No legal way that I know of to get a free XP SP2 disk. Just create your own: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Just thought microsoft would perhaps exchange it seeing as it's only a small upgrade.

Does anyone know a good site or thread regarding optimizing cpu, ram etc. Been doing a bit hunting and found various things like activating the 3gb switch and what not, I don't really want to start dicking around with OC'ing and all that, I'm just wondering if they're any safe tweaks I should know about (possibly with screen shots of BIOS or tuning software) to get the best out my system.

Did a little reading on 1:1 ratio for cpu and ram freq, but still it's all greek at the minute.

Dawg thanks for that link, I was put off by this slipstream lark at first but that site explains it really well. I'll have a crack at it later.
    Last edited by petefloyd; 08-19-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Seen link

Well MS used to send out SP@ disks for free + Shipping, not sure if they do anymore. If you like I could check. But yeah as said above it is simple to make your own

As for guides, I have pinned a General Overclocking guide, and a Memory info guide. Have you looked them over?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information