Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two questions pertaining to my GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Two questions pertaining to my GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard.

Ok, the main things we well be doing is Making the C drive smaller by 1GB or so, from the right side (BE SURE IT IS FROM THE RIGHT NOT LEFT SIDE)

Then we will be making a new partition in the newly created blank space

Download this EASEUS Partition manager>>>
    Download EASEUS Partition Manager, EASEUS Partition Manager 1.6.4 Download

First right click C drive as shown and select Resize/Move as shown below >>

The drag FROM THE RIGHT SIDE ONLY over a small amount, or manually type in 1024MB (1GB) in the "Unallocated Space After". This will be the Unused New space we will make the new partition in. As shown in image >>>

Then click on OK.

Then the window will close and it will appear to have been made, it has not. Click apply in the top area as shown here, then yes in the box that appears >>>

Then the changes will be officially made, it will ask you to reboot so it can do the operation, click yes and reboot. >>>>

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-25-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Then disk changes will be physically made in DOS once you reboot >>>

Then once back in windows (It may ask you to reboot again, if so do it) then open the program again and you will now see 1 partition C drive, and one blank unformatted area which we will make into your New BIOS partition in the next step >>>

*AGAIN*
    DO NOT MOVE THE DISK FROM THE RIGHT

I have to keep saying this because if you do you will corrupt your windows install and have to format and reinstall windows

Now, onto creation of your new FAT32 BIOS partition area.

Right click the Blank area and choose Create as shown here >>>

Then in the Create window name/label the new partition something like BIOS files or area. Choose Primary and FAT32 out of the drop out menus as shown below. Then once you have made the changes click on OK. Then apply like before..... You will not need to make any size changes in this window >>>

Once you have clicked apply the Partition will be created, no reboot will be needed. >>>

Creation Process >>>

Final Product, 2 partitions. One NTFS partition for windows, and one 1GB FAT32 partition for BIOS flashing >>>

Sorry for the split posts. Only 4 images per post is allowed here!!!!

If you need any help I will be back later tonight... AND AGAIN do not move your disk from the left side!!!!!

Alright, I'll do this. Shouldn't be too hard. I just needed to know what program you recommend. :P

I guess I should of mentioned that I have Windows Vista on my hard drive. So I got an error trying to add space to the right:

"The program does not support resize/move the partition which has been installed Windows Vista itself yet if there is only one Operating System in your hard drive. Please execute move/resize operations from other OS if there is more than one OS."

Any ideas from this point? Maybe there's a partition manager that works for Vista?

EDIT: Well, nevermind. I just ran it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and it worked.

EDIT #2: Well, nevermind, again. After rebooted it went into the DOS mode and failed there. So I guess I need a partition manager for Vista.
    Last edited by JWT2k6; 08-24-2008 at 12:27 PM.

I linked the program I mention/used for the tutorial

Ahh, yeah sorry I forgot to mention XP mode if you was using vista

And I forgot to mention if you was using a RAID setup it would take a LONG time to do the process when it rebooted. So sorry if you had a long UNEXPECTED WAIT.

*EDIT*

I am posting a vista reply for you now
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I linked the program I mention/used for the tutorial

Ahh, yeah sorry I forgot to mention XP mode if you was using vista

And I forgot to mention if you was using a RAID setup it would take a LONG time to do the process when it rebooted. So sorry if you had a long UNEXPECTED WAIT.

*EDIT*

I am posting a vista reply for you now
    Well, I'm not using RAID. And thanks for your quick response!

Ahhh.

Ok Well vista will let you shrink the disk with it, but I dont think it will let you choose the amount.

Do you know how to burn a ISO? If so you can use UltimateBootCD. There is many partition tools on it. Same methods would be used only you would boot from the CD and do it all in DOS. Use Ranish Partition Manager or Partition Resizer on it >>>
    Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

How to burn a ISO is here >>>
    Ultimate Boot CD - Frequently Asked Questions

If you need more help with ISO let me know.

I will also go right now and see what I can find that is free for vista, incase you do not want to go this bootcd route BRB

Hmm.... I actually have an Ultimate Boot CD right here. I don't know what kind of partition managers it has on it, though. I received this CD at the beginning of the year.

Vista will let you Shrink your C drive by right clicking My Computer and choose manage. Then choose disk management on the left, then right click your C drive on the right table and choose Shrink.

Not sure how much it shrinks or if you get a choice but you can undo it when you are done.

After you shrink C, then the program and second step I listed above should work as it will create a new partition in XP mode and not need to be In DOS. Which was likely the vista issue with it.

Here is some info on how this works, and I do see you have choices on the amount to shrink >>>
    Resize a Partition for Free in Windows Vista :: the How-To Geek

Then after you shrink, use above app and method to create your second FAT32 Partition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information