Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Brought GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R

Default Re: Just Brought GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R

OK, so I tried the 400MHz strap combo that you recommended I try first (with FSB @ 406, strap @ 400MHz and SMM @ 2.66), and the system didn't boot. The power light on the front of the case flashed periodically, and nothing else happened. I hit reset and it auto-recovered my BIOS settings. I also tried it w/ a FSB of 401 and it reset a bunch of times, then reset my BIOS.

I set the FSB back to 407 and tried upping the MCH Core to 1.4 (from 1.3) and the DRAM Voltage to 2.2 (from 2.1), with Vcore @ 1.44375, and it still wouldn't boot.

I figured I'd give the x7 3.185 CPU with Ram @ 1092 (333 Strap) combo a go -
    again, it rebooted several times and then reduced the settings masssively.

What do you think I'm doing wrong? Or is it that my hardware just can't handle these speeds?
    Last edited by MrBlob; 09-03-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Added info on 3.185GHz CPU combo

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, your ram just may not reach it. Like I said you cant go on what you see others getting

Good luck, and keep trying. More volts is not the better answer, Loosen ram timings more and try again with the same lower voltages. Make them real loose if you want like 666-18

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, your ram just may not reach it. Like I said you cant go on what you see others getting

Good luck, and keep trying. More volts is not the better answer, Loosen ram timings more and try again with the same lower voltages. Make them real loose if you want like 666-18
    If my RAM is rated at 1066MHz (because it's a PC8500 kit), shouldn't I be able to get somewhere up near there? Right now I'm sitting on 960 :|

Also, sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean by "666-18" - which timing are you referring to? And is that a range?

One more thing: would I be better off keeping my FSB strap at 333 and pushing the FSB up, or having my FSB strap at 400 and bringing the FSB down? In other words: when you change the FSB strap, how significant are the timing-loosenings?
    Last edited by MrBlob; 09-03-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added question

Ahh, Well that comment was about your wish to get 1200 speeds on your ram

666-18 was a MAIN timing suggestion for you to try with a 1200 Ram speed settings. I just write it that ways sometimes as different people write main timings differently and I never get in a habit of one way or the other. 666-18 = 6-6-6-18 (Like 555-15 = 5-5-5-15)

When you change the FSB strap you want to raise the FSB. The strap is like ram timings, at higher strap timings are looser for more room for speed improvement easier. Lower 333 strap has NB tight timings for best performance at slower speeds

All I can say about what you should do is test both ways with the highest ram speed you get stable and see how it benchmarks. I do not know much about the 6400 CPU, but you may have better luck at the 8 CPU multi and 333 FSB Strap

OK, cool - I think I have most of what I need to find the sweet spot for my system :)

One last question (until I have another one): what would you recommend for benchmarking? I've seen some people using SiSoft Sandra and others using Everest.

I use both of those, and I suggest them both as well. Others would be PCMark05, 3DMark06, Furmark, lightsmark The latter 3 are for GFX benchmarks mostly.

Furmark and lightsmark are free, the others have trial I believe but would likely not be so great in Trial format. Same with SiSandra and Everest Utlimate

Awesome - thank you so much!

Lsdmeasap =

Nah, Google should be able to help me out on the linkage front.

Yesterday you wrote "1.5 MAX for 65NM CPU", regarding Vcore. Is that 1.5v in the BIOS, or 1.5v in a Windows-based voltage reading, such as from CPU-Z?

At the moment I'm running 1.5v in BIOS, but CPU-Z says 1.44v - can I keep pushing it up (assuming my temps stay below 65 - this is the max safe temp for Core 2 Duos, from memory) until CPU-Z says 1.5v?

Also, if I'm running the Orthos prime CPU test and it's failing, will increasing the CPU Vcore improve the stability? And is that the only way, besides reducing the FSB?
    Last edited by MrBlob; 09-03-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added Q...

In windows at Idle in CPU-z. It is not so much a rule as a community based overall opinion for the 65NM CPU's. Intel spec max is 1.45ish. Your BIOS to windows voltage drop is called Vdrop, and the voltage drop from Idle to load is called Vdroop. Just so you know incase you ask someone about it sometime

Temps are what matter mainly though, I mean if you are on water and set 1.6 in the BIOS you can run it that way for a while if you like long as your temps are good.

Ya, you would want to stay below 65-70C core temps for a 65nm CPU, 70 would be getting pretty hot

Well Orthos has some different tests, which are you running? Blend, Small FFT, Large FFT?

If it is failing on blend (Default I think) it could be your ram or CPU, best to test only the CPU using small or large FFT's Then yes, if that fails you need more CPU Voltage likely

What CPU Freq are you running at with 1.44 in windows?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information