Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP43-DS3L and Video

Default GA-EP43-DS3L and Video

Hello, My first post here...

I recently built new computers for my wife and I.
    As luck would have it, mine is working fine (after an early problem that had me thinking the board was DOA. Re-seating everything seems to have fixed it, and no problems for a month now) but hers is having some problems. The parts are:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB
    Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-SB 450W ATX V2.2 Power Supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Motherboard
    EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
    Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Running on WinXP SP3. No overclocking...bios on default for now.

I flashed the bios right away to the most recent one available, and for a couple of weeks had no problems. But for the last 2 weeks, she has had what seems to be video issues. Her PC will lock up and have to be rebooted. When it restarts, the screen image will have green lines and distortion.

When I checked the device manager, the Display adapter had the yellow !. Once I disabled it and re-enabled it, the PC worked again...for a while; then it will lock up again. I had updated to the latest video drivers as soon as I set up the PC for the first time, but I re-downloaded them anyway and re-installed them, but still the same issue. My PC is having no problems, so I took the identical video card from mine and put it in her's...but no problem in my PC while her's continues to have the same issue. I swapped the channels of the RAM, tonight I will swap her RAM and mine. I will also DL the latest bios, which was released about a week ago.
    I am starting to think it is a MB issue...but I still have some things I can check first.

Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Rod

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP43-DS3L and Video

So you tested your card in her PC and got the same issues? How about her card in your PC, no issue? Just trying to rule out the card

Freezes are almost always ram related, but it could be GFX card related since you see lines and distortion

I can say BIOS on default is not the best for sure. And with using 2x2GB I am surprised it has worked for you. You should always at the very least add some MCH voltage for 2x2 and set the ram voltage to the specified amount on the ram sticker. And generally you would need to set trfc to 52-62 (Which auto may do for you, but not the other things I suggested)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    So you tested your card in her PC and got the same issues? How about her card in your PC, no issue? Just trying to rule out the card
    Correct. Our systems are identical, so I put my card in her PC and it is still having the same issue. My PC, with her card, is running fine.

Freezes are almost always ram related, but it could be GFX card related since you see lines and distortion

I can say BIOS on default is not the best for sure. And with using 2x2GB I am surprised it has worked for you. You should always at the very least add some MCH voltage for 2x2 and set the ram voltage to the specified amount on the ram sticker. And generally you would need to set trfc to 52-62 (Which auto may do for you, but not the other things I suggested)
    Now, the RAM is set to run at 7-7-7-20 at 1.8. But I had it at 5-5-5-15 and 2.1 (might have been 2.0). When it started having troubles, one of the things I did was to set the bios back to default settings.

I will be going home soon, and will try swapping her RAM out with mine.
    From what I read on these boards, G.Skill should work fine with the EP43, right?

Thanks again,
    Rod

Yes it should, but 2x2 does need some manual setting to work properly.

Hmm If it is the EXACT same setup, can you try your disk/windows install in her system with her card to see if possibly something driver or disk related is to blame. Other then that the only thing I could think it would be is Ram.

Her if you do not have, test her ram ONE stick at a time in your system with memtest86+ >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Yes it should, but 2x2 does need some manual setting to work properly.

Hmm If it is the EXACT same setup, can you try your disk/windows install in her system with her card to see if possibly something driver or disk related is to blame. Other then that the only thing I could think it would be is Ram.

Her if you do not have, test her ram ONE stick at a time in your system with memtest86+ >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    I did not run memtest, but what I did was to swap the RAM in our systems.
    Her system still has bugs, mine runs fine...

Trying to swap HDD now...

Rod

I would still suggest you test Her ram as well

Good luck with the disk swap, let me know if it lets her system run properly. If so then she just likely has a program or driver conflict somewhere you/we are not thinking of

I would still suggest you test Her ram as well

Good luck with the disk swap, let me know if it lets her system run properly. If so then she just likely has a program or driver conflict somewhere you/we are not thinking of
    Ok, no luck with the disk swap.
    I also swapped her RAM with mine...same deal.
    My PC runs fine, her's continues to have video issues.

The PC will lock up, and in Device Manager the adapter has the yellow ! (Yellow exclamation). After disabling/enabling it a few times I can usually get it to function again. But anything like a game will crash it again.

By now, I have pretty much pulled every part out of her machine except the dvd drive and the processor. I don't think it is one of those.
    I am pretty much convinced it is the mobo.

I see that you don't like the @bios program for this mobo, what do you recommend? I tried to use Q-Flash but it wanted a floppy that I don't have and I did not have more time...
    Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

Rod

You have a really unique opportunity to test, having two identical systems. That's a luxury most testers never have!
    I would also explore the possibility that the PSU is not sufficient for your power needs. Even though one of your systems is stable, PSU specs (output) can vary from one device to another. At 450w, I would think you're on the lower edge of what your machine needs, especially with the 8800gt card. Try swapping your PSU into her machine and see if it becomes stable.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Ok when you say no luck with the disk deal, did it not work at all or do you mean the same issues are there?

Flashing, here is some info. You can use 3 things with Qflash.... USB Stick, Floppy, or FAT32 Partition on your disk >>>

DO NOT USE @BIOS

Here is your Download page incase you were unsure >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP43-DS3L (rev. 1.0)

The BIOS file you download is a EXE which is made just to extract to the Floppy drive or A: drive.

You can get the BIOS .Fxx (xx Being BIOS number and how the actual BIOS file extension will look) File out of this to flash with Qflash or DOS (DOS Flash files are also inside the Exe. by using winrar to extract the files.

Download Winrar Trial here (Scroll down to Winrar 3.71 and download) and then install and right click the BIOS exe file and choose extract here >>>
    WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Then you can either run any CD you have to get DOS loaded and use the files extracted. Or you can put them on a FAT32 USB drive and use Qflash. You may also make a new 1GB FAT32 partition on your disk if you like and keep BIOS files there as well.

To use USB you need Legacy Storage Detect Enabled in the Integrated Peripherals oage of the BIOS. You also need to leave the USB drive plugged in when you reboot to Qflash (Select "END" at bootup, or F8 Within the BIOS to enter Qflash)

Once inside Qflash you will be presented with Disks or Drives depending on what you have available, look thru each until you find your BIOS file and then flash it

And yeah as said above 450 is a little on the low side for a PSU with todays cards so if you can get a larger to test that would be great

Ok when you say no luck with the disk deal, did it not work at all or do you mean the same issues are there?

Once inside Qflash you will be presented with Disks or Drives depending on what you have available, look thru each until you find your BIOS file and then flash it

And yeah as said above 450 is a little on the low side for a PSU with todays cards so if you can get a larger to test that would be great
    Tried it, updated the bios to 7...no luck.
    Same issues, no matter what I have tried.

Tried swapping the power supplies...same issues...my pc runs fine and her's crashes when I stress it a bit.

Anytime I try to run a game or do anything video intense, the screen whacks out... I get the device unable to start in Device manager.

Time to call Gigabyte?

Rod

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information