Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AHCI weirdness on new X48-DS4

Default AHCI weirdness on new X48-DS4

Hi all,
    I'm having an issue I believe is related to ahci. I'm seeing a constant 20-40% cpu usage--even when the pc is doing nothing. It's almost amusing, as the system idle is showing 99% idle, but with 30% cpu in use.

The only drive currently attached to the mainboard (the rest are on an adaptec 1430SA in the other pci-e slot) is a 500GB seagate ST3500630AS

When I fired up process explorer, it showed that "hardware interrupts" were responsible (seems to spike on disk access) for the cpu usage.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Kind of desperate as I only have till this Saturday to resolve or return--otherwise I'm stuck with it.
    Hurray for a 7 day return policy.

Thanks.
    http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/ClientUs...K/649100/1.jpg
    http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/ClientUs...K/649100/2.jpg
    Last edited by Unexploded; 08-28-2008 at 05:10 AM. Reason: corrected spelling error

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: AHCI weirdness on new X48-DS4

Hmm I see someone else with the same issue here, finally fixed with new board so they thought. Turned out to be bad Cables >>>
    Sysinternals Forums: High CPU usage for hardware interrupts

Do you have all other Controllers you are not using disabled? Such as the Gigabyte SATA2 controller?

Do you have Daemon tools installed?

Still seeing the issue when I remove the 1430sa and it's four 500GB WD HD's, but it's certainly worth check the remaining sata dvd and the seagate drive that's in there. Hell, at this point I'd be willing to sacrifice a chicken to resolve the issue. :)

The gigabyte sata controller is currently enabled, but was disabled initially.
    Where you thinking it needed to be enabled or disabled?

No daemon tools yet, not much on here (multiple rebuilds haven't left me much time). Basically it's vanilla xp + sp3 + drive imaging software (acronis) and some games off steam.

Well I was thinking you should disable all controllers you are not using. So if you are not using it set it to disabled in the BIOS

I just asked about Daemon because I saw while google'n your issue that one post had solved it by removing this program. So it sounds to me like it could possible be a program or non related driver that causes the issue. Possibly acronis, since it also has a Mount feature.... Just some thoughts here.

Did you notice it on a clean install with no drivers installed at all for anything? Or did you just now notice it and have not done a clean install?

Another thing I saw why looking was spyware also causes this, so please run a few Different Spyware app scans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well I was thinking you should disable all controllers you are not using. So if you are not using it set it to disabled in the BIOS

I just asked about Daemon because I saw while google'n your issue that one post had solved it by removing this program. So it sounds to me like it could possible be a program or non related driver that causes the issue. Possibly acronis, since it also has a Mount feature.... Just some thoughts here.

Did you notice it on a clean install with no drivers installed at all for anything? Or did you just now notice it and have not done a clean install?

Another thing I saw why looking was spyware also causes this, so please run a few Different Spyware app scans.
    Yeah, I was suspicious of acronis as well initially (tried uninstalling it).
    The issue was happening right from the start with a fresh install--regardless of what version of intel chipset drivers or ahci drivers I used.

It even continued happening after pulling the dvd cable and replacing the hard drive cable with a spare I already had; but you were on the right track with the cable suggestion.

I eventually got frustrated to the point I stripped everything out, and start placing items back in one by one and the culprit...turned out to be the dvd drives sata cable. The thing was so evil, it would continue to cause the error after unplugging it (and rebooting)--must have messed something up during windows install(s).

A fresh install (with a working cable) and I'm back in business. Thank you very much for the cable suggestion.

I'll take a day or two off messing around and then see if the new board will out OC my old P5K Premium.

Have you tried a OS install without AHCI drivers? It could be the issue. What OS are you using, if Vista then you do not need AHCI as the best feature (NCQ) would be used by default and is integrated into Vista install anyway.

If you are using XP then you would need it if you have to have AHCI.

Ahh, I start answering people one paragraph at a time, guess I should read fully then start my replies!

I see you got it! Glad I could get you thinking in the right direction. I was going to suggest you start unplugging it all and plugging things in one by one but was trying to put off having you go thru that mess if you did not need to

Nice to hear you found the problem, good luck in your overclock ventures!

I installed Water Cooling setup in my PC a good two months ago and have not had time to mess with seeing how far I can overclock now with it. Been so busy I guess, and now I am modding out a Rocketfish so I may not get into any testing until I get that done.... Hopefully by the end of next month!

Good luck with everything man, Post back anytime

Have you tried a OS install without AHCI drivers? It could be the issue. What OS are you using, if Vista then you do not need AHCI as the best feature (NCQ) would be used by default and is integrated into Vista install anyway.

If you are using XP then you would need it if you have to have AHCI.

Ahh, I start answering people one paragraph at a time, guess I should read fully then start my replies!

I see you got it! Glad I could get you thinking in the right direction. I was going to suggest you start unplugging it all and plugging things in one by one but was trying to put off having you go thru that mess if you did not need to

Nice to hear you found the problem, good luck in your overclock ventures!

I installed Water Cooling setup in my PC a good two months ago and have not had time to mess with seeing how far I can overclock now with it. Been so busy I guess, and now I am modding out a Rocketfish so I may not get into any testing until I get that done.... Hopefully by the end of next month!

Good luck with everything man, Post back anytime
    And it looks like I spoke too soon...
    Just started doing it again a couple minutes ago.

I'm running XP Pro, haven't tried an install without ahci, but I think that's next on the agenda. Just got to time it right as I'm stuck on call and need the pc for work--though I suppose I could bike in and snag the company-issued laptop.

Assuming, the issue goes away with regular old ide mode, I'll image it so I can continue to try and get get ahci going.

So if you (or anyone else reading this) comes up with any ideas, feel free to fire away. I should likely paste in a list of everything in the pc to give a more complete picture.

The funny thing is, I suspect (properly functioning) ahci won't even make that much of a difference, it just bugs me when things don't work. :)

Ahhh!

Well yea, a clean install non AHCI is what I would try next then

Good luck with it all, wish I had some direct answers but there are so many variables and I have seen so many pages in google about fixing it not even sure where to start to make more suggestions

Ahhh!

Well yea, a clean install non AHCI is what I would try next then

Good luck with it all, wish I had some direct answers but there are so many variables and I have seen so many pages in google about fixing it not even sure where to start to make more suggestions
    No worries, thanks. On the plus side I now know the issue isn't limited to ahci; fresh install without ahci, same problem. I've been reading a lot of google myself. This is a weird one for sure. Will keep you posted.

Cool, yeah please do post back if you find your cause. Just incase anyone looks it up here in the future

Good luck

Sp3 installed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information