Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H SATA HDD Issues

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H SATA HDD Issues

Hi Thanks for the extra info - never thought to check back on old post until tonight...

I have a parallel post with a secondary issue which I'll not go into here. I RMA'd the board and Drive back to Ebuyer and they tested both. They couldn't find an issue with the board so updated the bios to F5. They did replace the HDD though and I am typing this post on my new machine now...

I still have issues with board but more on that here

just for the records, i did like what nanohead said (i think), but i could not decode
    i thought he was on a driver mostly solution
    (duh, for newcomers, i am talking about running hdd on ahci)

so I plugged the hdd to the one sata port (sata 4), which stands vertical to the rest
    just to be sure that is on the secondary sata channel, which I left as IDE on bios
    switched the primary sata channel to AHCI and boot to windows
    I simply installed all the drivers for sata and of course that did it,
    next boot, I switched hdd plug to primary sata 1 port (ahci) and everything went fine

I hope i had figured earlier, it would have saved me hours of frustration... didn't find anything by googling, except people like me and best hit nanohead's answer...
    I am curious though, why it wouldn't trigger the windows sata driver just by switching from bios

It seemed to me like the old tricks Indians do, everybody knows how they're done, but noone gives away the "secret"

still can't turn on the pc from keyboard or mouse though
    except wake frome s3 sleep, but that is a different case
    In my previus mobo, there was a jumper to power usb during shutdown times, that would do for turning on by kbrd or mouse
    well, maybe the answer is "just out there" , lol
    Last edited by chillo; 10-03-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Ya, he was just trying to offer you a NON (Packaged Gigabyte) Driver, and was trying to let you know you can use any boards Raid Drivers as they are all really AMD. So he was trying to tell you that, and tell you he would send you a tested working set if you wanted

Glad to see you got it working. Ya you have to use PS2 Keyboard or mouse to turn on the system like that with this board

Did you try PS2 to USB adapter? Might work, but likely not since there may or may not be power to your device that way

Red face Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H SATA HDD Issues

Hi guys.......

I appear to be having the same issue here, I am running a revision 1.1 board with bios upgrade to version 5 with a Phenom 9950 and 2Gb of OCZ.

All the thing does is hang at Verifying DMI Pool data...

Seems to see everything if I reset CMOS and leave it in IDE rather than AHCI

A really great idiots guide would help ie where can i change individual SATA channels to and from IDE to AHCI in bios??

Thanks, blown two weekends on this until I found this post

So did you find help in this thread? If not please explain your issue to me so I can be sure and I will try to help you

Hello All,

Ok, add me to the list of people who just cannot seem to get SATA to work with this motherboard. Any help would be much appreciated.

My system:
    Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H, Rev 1.1, flashed to BIOS F5
    Samsung 80GB SATA drive (HD080HJ) (with the 1.5Gbps jumper removed)
    Seagate 500GB (ST3500641NS)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2
    Patriot Viper 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
    Using onboard everything (audio/video/LAN)
    One addon Hauppauge HVR-1250 PCIE card
    Attempted OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

I've tried so many things, I'm not sure I can remember them all for this post :S

Right now, the SATA drives are in slots 3 (secondary drive) and 4 (primary drive). I've cleared the CMOS and made sure that the SATA settings are in IDE mode.

What happens is whenever I have the SATA drives plugged in, the system will just randomly shut itself off. If I leave them unplugged, the system stays running fine.

A few times it stayed running long enough to get the "Install" screen of the Vista setup, but when I click it, I get an error message about "Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer". Then I can't go any further.

The BIOS detects all the drives fine, so I am just stumped as to what the problem is.

I thought maybe the problem with the shutting off was something metal touching the motherboard, but even with it removed from the system, sitting on it's box, it would shut off.

I'm about 7 hours into this project, and losing hope.

Any suggestions please?
    Thanks for your time.
    chris

Forgot to add that all the SATA settings in the BIOS are set to "Native IDE" :)
    Last edited by chrisneal; 11-23-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Adding more info

I'll try to help you 'cause I run a system much similar to yours and it's been running smoothly for allmost 6 months now. My drives are plugged into SATA 0 (primary) and SATA 1 (secondary) drive, and the DVDRW in SATA 4, BIOS setting Native IDE.
    You said the system shuts down when your drives are plugged, so i assume you checked your drives and they're both healthy?
    The other thing you should check is your PSU. When your drives turn on and spin up the system shuts itself - might be the PSU? Have you tried working with just one hdd drive? What about the temperatures? Maybe the sys is shutting off because something overheats?

Any external devices connected? If so remove them for now as well.

Please post some images of your integrated peripherals page so we can see what you have set

You should use SATA Slot 0 for your OS for sure and then all other disks after that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information