Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: e5200+g31m-s2l dual core not working

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: e5200+g31m-s2l dual core not working

Ahh I see in your manual Mutli-Threading, and of course thru translations they use the word core also in the description. I say I believe this is for Threading/HT and not Multi Cores because it is in mine and several other BIOS's I look at for HT to be enabled or disabled. And that is the only setting in your BIOS that would enable HT so I think no matter how that is worded it is meant for HT and not DC/QC CPU's

I believe that is ONLY for HT (HyperThreading - Multi-Threaded) CPU's, but either way It should be visible and set to disabled either way. It is in all of mine, and is disabled for the ones I do not have a HT CPU in

Let me know how the Clean install goes, and I will let ya know when Janus replies.

Hey, when you flash your BIOS you do load, save, and apply Optimized Defaults and reboot before going back into the BIOS to make changes right?

If not, please reflash and do this, it is required for the BIOS to fully and properly be loaded and detect the CPU correctly

RealTemp, did you click settings and enable the second core monitor? You do have to do that

CPU-z, What do you mean it shows only one core? I do not see a core entry in CPU-z. I do get you also said FSB and such is not shown, but cores? Where is that you think in CPU-z

Do you have the latest, 1.47 I think

Post some pics if you like
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-05-2008 at 03:37 PM.

my first assumption was that it was a windows based problem and as such i reinstalled windows and pressed f5 at setup to manually set the hal. however the only option im being given there (and i have tried 2 differnat versions of windows) was the standard pc i486 hal which does not support dual core cpus where it should give me the option to chose the acpi multicore hal iv also tried updating the system driver in the device manager but no luck. next i think il try How to enable Multiprocessor support in Windows XP as that would force windows to try and use it as a multicore processor so i would know for certain where the problem was based.

hmm well if thats for ht then at least it clears it up a bit.

if you look down the bottom of this pic you can see a bit that reads cores 2 threads 2. on my desktop this reads 1 and 1 the bus speed and rated fsb allong with the dram frequency also fail to show

What XP Disk do you have? If it is SP2 or above then you do not need nor do I suggest any F5 option. It will install it correctly

Please if you do have a XP disk with SP2 disk on it, do a clean normal install and see how it goes.

If you do not have a XP SP2 disk you will need to slipstream one if you cannot get the above link to help you before you do a clean install. From what I see in that Guide that is not said is, uninstalling the Processor or Item listed in MY Computer of device manager should reinstall it and the correct driver on a reboot

its a sp3 installation
    short of alter the system files to force windows to treat it as a multicore i cant do anything. if i install it normally it installes it as a standard pc which is not multicore. if i press f5 the only option i get is the standard pc one and if i try to update the driver to a differant one while on this laptop i can change it from multicore acpi to standard pc i cant change it the other way around on the desktop. i think i will try and find those files so i can foce it to try and treat it as a multicore and mabe that will help

It is a SP3 Install disk, or did you mean the install you have on there now is updated to SP3?

When I asked about SP2, I meant you Install CD. Does it have SP2 included? If not you will have to make a Slipstreamed XP Install disk or it will never included it no matter the board

Do you need some files? I can give you any files you need, let me know. I have several machines installed on my PC, I can give you SP2 or SP3 files from XP if you need them just let me know which you would like And I will zip them up and upload them for you

fixed :D well you were right in the end it was windows. windows was insisting it could only install as a "standard computer" rather than acpi multicore however where many attempted reinstalls failed brute force worked and the system is now running perfectly. I would just like to say thanks very much Lsd for all your help and sorry for blameing the motherboard/cpu compatibility. it just seemed like a likerly reason for the problem (the concept of a $59 motherboard working flawlessly just stuns me) but in reality it was windows being stupid. once more thanks and good luck

Nice!

Great top hear you got it working! I dont mind you blamed your board at all, just nice to see you went thru the hassle and got it working properly as opposed to going thru the RMA hassle! HAHA

So, how did you end up getting it corrected? Just a new clean install after your BIOS flash from before?

hey i have a dual core e5200 for like one yer and it worked perfectly until now i get the same stuff second core not working i think its fried because it worked fine with the processor oc at 3.0 all the time it stopt working like a week ago when i sent my gf8800 card off to service and now i have a radeonx550 but i dont think that the videocard change has nothing to do whith this i`m running win7 an ubuntu linux and in both the second core doesnt work anymore enyone is there a test to see if its fried?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information