Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To, Qflash Guide"

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Things to be added:

Notes about clearing CMOS
    Looking forward to that. GA-EP45-DQ6 has a "quick switch" for clearing CMOS, but the rest of the manual only describes use of CLR_CMOS jumper. Fancy button is not fun, unless you know when you can push it.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Ahh yes, Sorry! I will get to it very soon!

Just been pretty busy on the homefront this weekend, and no connection all day Saturday didn't help

I will do my best to get it added in tomorrow, as I am about to get out of here for the night shortly.

Do you need some help with it right now or was you just asking for it to read up on for later use? I mean if you need some help with how right now I for sure can take a few and let you know.

No need now, but it seems a topic worth answering before anyone asks frequently.

OK

Yeah, I had planned to update it the next day, just have not got there yet.

I won't forget as I have it on my desktop along with what notes I am writing up for BIOS recovery when the Bootblock becomes corrupted

Updated!

Anyone see anything missing, or wish for something to be added?

*EDIT*

You are correct, it is only (Well so far, only) the P45 BIOS's that are normal SFX files and can be extracted without winrar.

Thanks for the Tip, will add a sidenote in the above for P45 BIOS
    Every Gigabyte packed file I have for my board (GA-P35C-DS3R) is an SFX archive (self extracting - doesn't require win-rar application).

That goes for the Bios Images through to the Intel drivers and Realtek drivers too. (Gigabyte packaged)

The *.exe suffix is a give away too that a packaged file is self extracting.

Ya, I know the old ones are SFX, but without winrar or 7zip they will only extract to the A drive correct Or do I just think and see that because I have A drive on my pc, and Winrar?

Ill take some BIOS files to a Different PC and check. You are probably right, I am just so used to my ways I never noticed!

Now I knew the rest were SFX/EXE but I just always thought the BIOS one was only setup to extract to the A/Floppy drive and failed to extract without a real extractor if you did not have one of the above

You will probably see a "I'm so Stupid" edit here in a few

*EDIT*

Yeap, I am so stuck in my ways of using winrara always I just never noticed it I guess.

Thanks, Do you think I should just remove my whole winrar method and add the normal extraction method info, or leave it and add in ("DUH" J/K) the normal method?

I'm so silly sometimes!

Thanks
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-09-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Ya, I know the old ones are SFX, but without winrar or 7zip they will only extract to the A drive correct Or do I just think and see that because I have A drive on my pc, and Winrar?
    Lol, yes the latter bit..

The WinRar self extractor, allows you to select and browse a target unpacking location, or you can use the suggested path (which happens to be the directory the archive is in), or you can enter in your own path, such as :-
    c:\gigabyte\unzip\ etc

As far as i remember the Winzip Self Extractor does more or less the same.

Edit: In reference to your last question. I think it's best that if people haven't got WinRar then they don't bother with it. It is shareware and should be paid for after 40 days. There is no need to have it when Gigabyte have made their packed files with the self extractor facility.
    I think it would be better to explain how the files can be extracted to a location of their choice with the packed SFX files.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-09-2008 at 01:42 AM.

Just so you know it is free, and works fine after 40 days. It just reminds you to buy is all (Spam) I guess.

But yeah I do see your point, I will update the thread again tonight, and remove the whole winrar part and add in a SFX explanation

Thanks for your feedback, and pointing out the obvious to me! Can't believe I overlooked that, I think just because I have a floppy is why it always made me think it only extracted to A so I used winrar on it. The icons should have made it obvious, but stuck in my ways I guess I never noticed

There is a reason to mention that the package is 'rar'. Linux users could not execute the self-extractor, but they do have access to package called 'unrar'. Quite obvious what that can do ...

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information