Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Depends on the model, since you have P45-UD3P rev 1.1 (Same as 1.0 in this case) you just need the one that is not listed as rev 1.6 :)

F10f
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/...5ud3p.F10f.zip

On Gigabyte site you choose the revisions here at the top >>

A friend is telling me never to flash the BIOS until you "load optimized defaults"
    I have never heard this, I didn't think it made a difference. I know it's in the guide to load them after you flash but not before. Is this correct? You do not need to "load optimized defaults" before flashing right?
    P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
    880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
    2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Thank you for your help Lsdmeasap, you are amazing,

Before you flash a BIOS, do you need to load optimized defaults FIRST?

I was told by a friend he had ruined his board by flashing "over" his current overclock.
    I don't think this is the case with the current Gigabyte boards. It may have been the case years ago but not now....is this correct?
    P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
    880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black

Quote Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
    A friend is telling me never to flash the BIOS until you "load optimized defaults"
    I have never heard this, I didn't think it made a difference. I know it's in the guide to load them after you flash but not before. Is this correct? You do not need to "load optimized defaults" before flashing right?
    Yes, it is wise to do. I personally do not always do this, but again YES it IS SUGGESTED.

Thank you for your help Lsdmeasap, you are amazing,

Before you flash a BIOS, do you need to load optimized defaults FIRST?

I was told by a friend he had ruined his board by flashing "over" his current overclock.
    I don't think this is the case with the current Gigabyte boards. It may have been the case years ago but not now....is this correct?

I do suggest that you do, that way if your current overclock is not stable then it could cause you corruption issues when you flash. Only takes a second or two to do this.

If your confident that your overclock is 100% Tested stable then you should have no issues.

I often do not do it (Even at 4.2Ghz+), and I have never had any issues. Flashing is fairly safe when you follow a safe procedure. Loading optimized is part of being safe, whether you do that or not is up to you.

Yes, I do believe he "could" have killed a board, with a bad overclock loaded the BIOS flash could have been corrupted in memory during the flash causing him to corrupt the MAIN BIOS. Killed board or not was his choice, there are several ways to recover a BIOS

So, in the end YES you SHOULD load optimized if you want to be on the safe side of things. Do you have to? No, it is not a must, only suggested for a safe pain free flash

Lsdmeasap, when you load optimized defaults, it sets everything right then. Is there a need to save and exit? If so, do you need to boot into the OS or just back into the BIOS.

Also, at what point (using the USB flash drive method) do you put in and take out the USB flash drive? Does it matter? I am getting conflicting information on these questions.

Edit:

I finally saw in the guide to save and apply optimized defaults then boot back into BIOS to set HD options, then if not running RAID boot into Windows (or other OS)

I am still wondering exactly when to "yank" the USB drive. Maybe it does not matter but I have been told to "yank" it before resetting and after the flash. (which I have done on all 6-7 flashes) Is this the correct way to do it? Am I using risky practices? Thanks
    Last edited by nate42nd; 09-29-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: More info

The guide says it's best to use FAT32. I have formatted my USB flash drives so many times....if I choose restore device to default it chooses FAT. I want to format a drive in FAT32. What is the best unit allocation size? Does it depend on the size of the drive? I have one 16GB. It's already FAT32 and it's allocation size is 8192. So would a 2GB drive be 1024? Thanks for any more info on flashing.

I am also wondering at what point during the process you should remove the flash drive or if it matters. I have been told to yank it right after flashing before reboot.

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To, Qflash Guide"

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Now let the computer rest with this jumper on for 10-20 Minutes, this will ensure that the battery gets drained, and the CMOS is cleared. Some people will tell you it will only take a few seconds or a minute or two, but I find that to be false and it may indeed lead to a corrupt BootBlock and or a Bricked motherboard.

So best to not try to cut corners when it comes to Clearing the CMOS, wait the full 20 Minutes

When the 20 minutes is up, remove the jumper from the "Clear CMOS" pins, put the battery back in if you removed it, and close your case up. Plug the Power Supply back into the wall and restart the system. Then please follow above advice and Load Optimized Defaults, set DDR2 Voltages and Reboot.!
    I am confused, if you leave the battery in and drain it.....you would need a new battery on hand. Why do this if you can simply remove the battery? What am I missing here?

Also, at what point do you remove the USB flash drive (if using that method) during the flash procedure? Is it okay to leave it in until finished and boot into Windows?

Thanks for any clarification, I just want to do everything right. There are many more ?? but these are two I can think of now.

Hello,

I have a GA-MA770T-UD3P (rev. 1.0) and it has a minor problem: no matter what I do there's 15secs delay before POST with my new HDD. I thought the latest BIOS(F4) might sort out this problem but I don't know what that BIOS actually fixes. I'm afraid that all it would do is change the CPU stepping which I do not want at all since it may spoil the tuning potential of my CPU (as it happend once after updating bios on another mobo). So could someone please let me know a website that has info on what these BIOSes fix? That's all I found on Gigabyte's website: "F4, 2009/09/21, 1. Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 code / AM3 C3 CPU). The problem is that I've seen several cases when the new BIOS actually fixed a whole lot of problems but they were not listed.

All answers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lsdmeasap, when you load optimized defaults, it sets everything right then. Is there a need to save and exit? If so, do you need to boot into the OS or just back into the BIOS.

Also, at what point (using the USB flash drive method) do you put in and take out the USB flash drive? Does it matter? I am getting conflicting information on these questions.

Edit:

I finally saw in the guide to save and apply optimized defaults then boot back into BIOS to set HD options, then if not running RAID boot into Windows (or other OS)

I am still wondering exactly when to "yank" the USB drive. Maybe it does not matter but I have been told to "yank" it before resetting and after the flash. (which I have done on all 6-7 flashes) Is this the correct way to do it? Am I using risky practices? Thanks
    If you are not using RAID you can just save and apply optimized defaults, then reboot to windows. If you are using AHCI you will need to be sure to set AHCI first, that's all.

The USB Must be left plugged in when you reboot to flash, sometimes it will get picked up if you plug it in later but not always. Best to just leave it in until you are done flashing. I would leave it in until you are back in the BIOS or windows again after the flash, but yes you can remove it when the flash is over and you have rebooted

The guide says it's best to use FAT32. I have formatted my USB flash drives so many times....if I choose restore device to default it chooses FAT. I want to format a drive in FAT32. What is the best unit allocation size? Does it depend on the size of the drive? I have one 16GB. It's already FAT32 and it's allocation size is 8192. So would a 2GB drive be 1024? Thanks for any more info on flashing.

I am also wondering at what point during the process you should remove the flash drive or if it matters. I have been told to yank it right after flashing before reboot.
    FAT parameters do not matter, it can be any FAT (FAT/FAT112/FAT16/FAT32). So you can leave it however you have it now, it just can't be NTFS is all

I am confused, if you leave the battery in and drain it.....you would need a new battery on hand. Why do this if you can simply remove the battery? What am I missing here?

Also, at what point do you remove the USB flash drive (if using that method) during the flash procedure? Is it okay to leave it in until finished and boot into Windows?

Thanks for any clarification, I just want to do everything right. There are many more ?? but these are two I can think of now.
    Battery removal is only needed if you are having issues clearing the CMOS, otherwise you do not need to remove it. And no, it would not need to be replaced, it will charge back up as soon as you put it back in and power up the board

Quote Originally Posted by FL00D View Post
    Hello,

I have a GA-MA770T-UD3P (rev. 1.0) and it has a minor problem: no matter what I do there's 15secs delay before POST with my new HDD. I thought the latest BIOS(F4) might sort out this problem but I don't know what that BIOS actually fixes. I'm afraid that all it would do is change the CPU stepping which I do not want at all since it may spoil the tuning potential of my CPU (as it happend once after updating bios on another mobo). So could someone please let me know a website that has info on what these BIOSes fix? That's all I found on Gigabyte's website: "F4, 2009/09/21, 1. Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 code / AM3 C3 CPU). The problem is that I've seen several cases when the new BIOS actually fixed a whole lot of problems but they were not listed.

All answers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

What is your new disk, and what were you using before? What are you setting in the BIOS for hard drives? Can you post a few pics please?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What is your new disk, and what were you using before? What are you setting in the BIOS for hard drives? Can you post a few pics please?
    Hello Lsdmeasap,

At this very moment I have a WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM, 32MB. The rest of my cfg is the following: Gigabyte MA700T-UD3P, PhenomII 905e @3.6GHz, 4GB Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz@1500MHz, Sapphire 5870 1GB, FSP Everest 500W 80PLUS. When this sort of "delay" started I had a Samsung F1 1TB 7200RPM, 32MB. And before that one I had a Samsung 80GB and a Sapphire 4890 1GB OC instead of the 5870. With my old HDD (and graphics card, but I strongly doubt that that would cause any problem) there was only like ~5secs delay before POST. And now there's ~10-11 with my current cfg.
    What settings are you interested in exactly? 'Course I can post a pic but of which menu in BIOS?

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread Information