Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Ahh, well it very well could have been. All you should have seen is something along these lines >>

BIOS Auto Recovering .................................................. .............................

Or something like that.

And then the board should shut down or restart when it is done, should take less than one minute and it should happen after you load optimized and then attempt to load windows.

Sorry if you meant actual random text, ect. above I just I thought it just surprised you and you jumped to shut it off

Alt + F12 just flashes the backup BIOS on command, but this is only enabled in certain boards/BIOSes.

When you press F9 in the MAIN Page of the BIOS does it say MAIN BIOS Fxx and Backup BIOS Fxx matching versions? Just checking, I would redo it either way just to be sure you did not possibly corrupt the backup BIOS as you wouldn't want that for sure in case you need it someday

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh, well it very well could have been. All you should have seen is something along these lines >>

BIOS Auto Recovering .................................................. .............................

Or something like that.
    Yes, that's what it did. I let that finish.

It was after that, when windows tried to start. It almost looked like a video card error. The whole screen was filled with text you could not read. The BIOS is updated, but it will not hurt to re-flash. I associated this with flashing because I had just finished, the more I think about it, what I saw was probably some driver error.

I pressed F9 and the main and back-up were marked F7 (what they should be) but I re-flashed anyway. Thanks for the advice. I will sleep easier now.
    Last edited by nate42nd; 10-30-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
    880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
    2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Arghh, this has turned into a bit of a nightmare. Ok, so I was following this guide to update the bios on my GA-P55M-UD2 via Q-flash as the latest bios is supposed to fix an issue with the 58xx series of Ati cards. Anyway, Q-flash gets to reading the bios file from my usb stick and afterwards states it is an Invalid Bios image. So I exit and go into windows to reformat the usb stick, redownload the bios file and then rebooted to try again, still no joy with Q-flash, still stating its an invalid bios image. Exiting and back in windows, after a bit of surfing I find that loading optimised defaults is advised before using Q-flash, so I do that but this is where the real trouble starts...

Still the same result with Q-flash, so I think no big deal, I'll go back into windows and see if a further solution can be found online. BUT, at this stage it will now not load windows (windows 7 64bit oem), it just hangs at the loading operating system screen. I also notice that loading the optimised defaults had set the AHCI mode to off again as the option to turn it on appears on start up. I remember at the back of my mind that changing AHCI and windows do not mix well so I try to set AHCI back on in the integrated peripherals page, I saw two options referencing AHCI so I set both to AHCI mode. Still no joy... just hanging at the loading operating system page.

At this stage things are pretty bad but I'm thinking if worst comes to the worst I can reinstall windows 7 (reluctantly). But I try one last thing and that is to load the fail safe default settings in bios, the system now discovers and loads windows 7 but I notice both my mouse and keyboard are dead (usb). So I now have no control over the system! Is there a solution to all of this? Any help is much appreciated.

Edit: To add I have two HDDS, one with my windows 7 on and the other having a defunct xp install from my old build.
    Last edited by UD2user; 11-01-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Just a quick update, I'm back in control of the system but it required a reset of the CMOS, clearly setting the bios to the fail safe defaults disables the USB ports so I wont do that again in a hurry. On turning the pc on I was immediately able to enter bios, I know the guide here says to load optimised defaults but I was reluctant to do this as this was exactly the thing that stopped me from loading windows, so I save and exit without touching anything. Next reboot I get the Checksum Cmos error, which profile do you want to use? There were options on last successful boot etc but I was unclear exactly what settings those would be, or even if it knew considering I'd just cleared the cmos. Anyway I chose the Default profile which I assume is the factory setting? It seems to be a decent setting as both keyboard and mouse work and it found windows ok and loaded.

I know the HDDs aren't set up the same as before but at this stage I don't want to loose windows again so I'm just going to leave BIOS as is (I'm not using a RAID array so no worries there). I would rather update BIOS and then try to get it set up nicely in BIOS. As Q-flash doesn't seem to like the new BIOS does anyone think I should now try the bootable USB method from dos?

Final update, flashing via the bootable usb method in dos seemed to work fine. Loaded optimised defaults and everything seems to be a.ok.

Firstly, thanks for all the info.
    I wanted to flash from a floppy, but the latest F4C flash file is too large. So, I'm trying to use a USB Thumb drive. I've used the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and loaded the two flash files needed.

My problem is that when I attempt to boot from the Thumb drive I receive a message stating I am missing system32\hal.dll.

What am I doing wrong? And what do I need to do to continue successfully?

Aloha
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    Intel i7 860
    4GB Kingston 1600
    Radeon 4850
    WD 300GB Raptor
    WD 75GB Raptor
    Windows 7 64

Hi all, first post here. I've been following this thread and need help. My GA-P55-UD6 refuses to accept a new bios. I've tried the @BIOS and Q-Flash routines, but I fail.
    I tried to update the BIOS using the@BIOS utility, but the error message I get is "WARNING: No match BIOS file be found. Please download file by web site."
    I did as instructed and now I get "BIOS Part number(AWARD) is not correct!"

In Q- Flash, I get the error "Wrong Bios Detected" or something like that, and I know I've downloaded the right one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Have you flashed BIOS before?
    What BIOS is it, what is it's file name and where did you d/l it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Have you flashed BIOS before?
    What BIOS is it, what is it's file name and where did you d/l it from?
    I've flashed an ASUS before. The Bios if the latest from Gigabyte.. ga-p55-ud6_f5e.exe

The file p55ud6.f5e

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-P55-UD6 (rev. 1.0)

Chike is offline Senior Member

Looks like the right BIOS.
    I meant if you flashed BIOS on this board or is it the original that came with it.
    Don't use @BIOS.
    Try to extract the file again with winrar or other utility, and reformat the floppy/USB drive you are using.
    Otherwise wait for someone that knows better than me.

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread Information