Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Quote Originally Posted by EvanOfCaerleon View Post
    I've found that the easiest way to flash the BIOS is to copy the updated version to a USB stick, it doesn't have to be bootable (a 2GB Corsair stick, superceded by 4GB and then 16GB from play.com, dead cheap)

This was because the way you mention aquax, which I'd prefer to be able to use, isn't working on this motherboard - for me and perhaps me only and only right now - I can't get the board to boot from a DVD. I've got the DVD as first device to boot from and I wait to see the usual 'Hit key to boot from CD' message (as on Abit, Asus, generally) but I don't see the message for some reason at the moment and a hard drive boots up. I've seen it in the past on this mobo and earlier boards. Someone will know I hope :)

Peter
    Use F12 and choose your CD device by name to boot from CD then. This could be caused by your BIOS setting to AHCI as well, change that to IDE and try again the normal way if you want

Here is the instruction if someone want to flash bios from NFS partition HDD or from CD/DVD

1- First download this utility "boot_iso"
    Hotfile.com: One click file hosting
    2- Second burn the iso with any burner tool, I used UltraISO, put the bios file and the bios flashing utility "flashspi" at the same time you burn the iso file
    3- Now the CD/DVD rom is ready to boot, load optimized default, save and exit, press F12 and select CDROM, it will load the files, select enable support for CDROM, and it will be ready, now you can browse your NTFS partitions and even flash from them. I used DVD, it was drive G:, so I typed G:/ then "DIR" to make sure it is the correct partition I want, and use this command "FLASHSPI BIOSNAME.Fx /C /D /E" then bios flash will start.

I found a new tool which I can boot to dos and even browse my NTFS HDD and I can flash from HDD too

Sounds good thanks for any more info aquax

There's a boot-from-USB-stick which sounds worth a look at too

Peter
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
    OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
    BFG GeForce 285 GTX 195.62 WHQL drivers
    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Corsair HX 1000W
    MSFFB2 native drivers
    TIR5 Final B drivers

USB Boot stick is great, you can boot from it to flash or just simply flash from Qflash

Hey Lsd,
    is that FlashSPI command correct "FLASHSPI BIOSNAME.Fx /C /D /E"?

Because, I read the help, and /D set CMOS default and /E clear CMOS
    isn't that same function?

I'm about to flash BIOS for my ex58-ud5 motherboard. I have followed this guide and everything works fins until I enter Qflash or DOS when flashing with a bootable USB. Then the keyboard stops responding for some reason. It's a HP keyboard I borrowed from school temporarely because I have wireless mouse and keyboard and as far as I can remember, you must have a wired keyboard when flashing BIOS.
    I've done a flash last year to upgrade to version F3 because it was incompatible with intel's i7 processors. Then I did it with a bootable USB following this guide here and it went fine. But now I want to flash BIOS again with F9k version because I'm experiencing a lot of recurrent freeze with windows 7. Maybe an upgrade with help with that.

Does anyone know why the keyboard becomes unresponsive when entering DOS or Qflash. It works fine otherwise, I can access BIOS and all the settings and even Qflash, but I just can't click on "Update BIOS from drive" or even go back once in Qflash or DOS state. Is there any solution for this? Is there any other way of upgrading BIOS except bootable USB or Qflash? Unfotunately I don't have a floppy so I can't try out that.

//Thanks

flashing with a bootable USB

The QFlash update works for me but the USB stick/pen does not need to be bootable

Ask QFlash for a flash from a USB stick/pen that just has the replacement BIOS on it

Peter
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
    OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
    BFG GeForce 285 GTX 195.62 WHQL drivers
    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Corsair HX 1000W
    MSFFB2 native drivers
    TIR5 Final B drivers

Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread Information