Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Haha, well we could fix those fears if you want? I could edit the post, then users could see it was updated in 2011 :)

DOS is suggested only because it's safe to use when BIOS flashing, and FAT/FAT32 only suggested as a backup plan when using Qflash or DOS. FAT32 hard drive simply means you use a spare because all other options are not working for you, or you create a 1GB or smaller FAT32 partition at the end of your drive simply for ease of use with Qflash (IE Don't have to get out a USB Each time to flash). So they are only options, and not dated ones, just how things work is all.

The safe and quickest way to update the BIOS is with Qflash from a FAT32 USB Stick

I do see what you mean though, and yes BIOS flashing methods could be updated a bit more, but the old tried and true methods are still valid and safe/working. Qflash is however new and safe, so this should be used above and beyond other methods, those are just there in case for various reasons Qflash is not working for you at the time. Sometimes it does not work with certain USB Sticks, sometimes Qflash is updated in a BIOS update, so a DOS flash is required, ect.

As for your system being slow to start and shut down, that sounds like it could possibly be in the actual OS/programs itself since you are using a fairly new BIOS. P55 starts BLAZING Fast here for me, 10x faster than X58, so I see no reason why your P55 should be slow to start at all, unless you are talking about the speeds once the OS starts loading.

No worries man, I don't see your thoughts as a rant at all! Post back anytime and we can chat all you like.

Thumbs up Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I have followed everything as described but cannot find the error message as described here.

I am installing FF10 BIOS to solve problem with Kingston SSD. I have created a boot flash drive and have loaded files. When boot starts and the command "FLASHSPI /Z AUD3RFF.10" runs in autoexec.bat, I get a message which states "No BIOS File Specified" then a list of options (/C,/D,/E,/R,/S). I have also booted with canned autoexec file removed and manually typed in the command above with the same result.

Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Give me your batch file (IE upload and then post URL here, or attach if you can?), then show me an image of your bootable USB Folder so I can see the exact BIOS file name.

Sounds like maybe the batch file needs edited to the correct BIOS file name?

What board do you have, and please link the BIOS download you used as well so I can check it out if needed. Did you try Qflash instead via USB, or is this one of the BIOSes that you need to flash via DOS or @BIOS?

Give me your batch file (IE upload and then post URL here, or attach if you can?),

>>> Simply said, the Autoexec.bat is one line: "flashspi /Z AUD3RFF.10"

then show me an image of your bootable USB Folder so I can see the exact BIOS file name.

>>>Directory contents:
    04/06/2011 09:26 AM DIR .
    04/06/2011 09:26 AM DIR ..
    03/07/2011 03:27 AM 2,097,152 AUD3RFF.10
    03/25/2011 12:44 AM 22 autoexec.bat
    02/23/2011 04:18 AM 35,650 FLASHSPI.EXE
    3 File(s) 2,132,824 bytes

Sounds like maybe the batch file needs edited to the correct BIOS file name?

>>I would agree, but as you can see they seem to be in sync. Just in case, I manually executed the command but had the same result.

What board do you have, and please link the BIOS download you used as well so I can check it out if needed.
    >>>I have the GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0), which I updated from here:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

Did you try Qflash instead via USB, or is this one of the BIOSes that you need to flash via DOS or @BIOS?

>>> I tried Qflash first but got a file size error. Further research showed that I would need to do via DOS and FLASHSPI, or @BIOS as recommended by Gigabyte, but I am avoiding the latter given all the warnings everywhere. Don't know if @BIOS has settled down to be a workable solution or not, but am all ears at this point.

Am on my second SSD trying to get this working, though my original OCZ 64g worked. Kingston said send back their drive after even a simple install of W7 would not work (vs. using their cloning tool). In that long iterative process with Kingston I followed their instructions to have SSD connected to first SATA port, set boot order for it to be first, etc. Now it seems the MOBO is the suspect, and these later BIOS versions are supposed to improve compatibility.

Again I thank you for both your timely reply and the thoroughness you exhibit here, for all and for many years!

Pete

stasio is offline GIGABYTE Elite

PeteT1,
    use latest @BIOS and latest beta BIOS FG1,flash in the Windows.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Thanks for the links. So I just run that program and have the x58aud3r.fg1 file on the SD card? Any other instructions necessary and/or available?

Pete

stasio is offline GIGABYTE Elite

Install @BIOS,unzip file with FG1 BIOS,
    start @BIOS and "Update BIOS from file".

Follow instruction and reboot PC.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Thanks for the info, yes that all looks in line and should be correct! I have checked the file and everything looks correct, and the BIOS is correct as well, so I am not sure what is causing that issue for you?

However, since there is a new BIOS as noted above I'd go ahead with that one instead. You can either use @BIOS and Stasio mentions, or try from DOS again with a new batch file or manually, be sure to use capital Z for the /z switch.

@BIOS has been improved over the years, but I will still only use it when you absolutely have to. Thanks for your kind words and support, most appreciated!!

Unhappy Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Thanks to you both, again. This solution worked to get the bios updated.

Unfortunately it brings no good news in terms of improved compatibility with the Kingston SSD 128G drives. So my question changes to be: Any more tricks?

Here's the history:

I first clone the OCZ using Kingston's install/boot CD's version of Acronis. I have it installed in the first SATA port, and remove the old OCZ SSD. Upon boot-up I get the following error

"Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings and click "Next."
    3. Click "repair your computer."#
    Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

I then attempt the W7 install disk Startup Repair tool, which says that it fixed a problem:

"Root Cause Found:
    ---------------------
    Boot Manager is missing or corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
    Result: Completed Successfully"

But then when reboot, no luck.

Note that as part of the previous diagnosis I had formatted the drive to wipe out anything Acronis had left behind. Did a fresh install of Windows. At the first reboot as part of that process, I landed at the same error.

I also tried with this new BIOS to use the W7 install disk and run Bootrec /fixmbr from the command prompt. Result message says that the operation completed successfully.

But upon boot up it again gives same error as above "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".

Any other ideas? Any way to find out if Gigabyte has tested with the Kingston 128Gb SSDNow V Series drives? They still have not replied to my email of two days ago...

Thanks again,

Pete

Please remove your USB stick while you are doing the install, and just to make it easier on yourself also remove all other hard drives.

Then go into the BIOS and be sure in Advanced BIOS section that your main OS hard drive is at the top of the list in Hard Drive Boot Priority (First Setting in Advanced BIOS page)

If you must do a backup/restore and not a clean install, I would suggest you use this instead
    Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

When prompted during the restore choose Yes to restore MBR from backup. Obviously if you are using a second disk to store an image on you wont be able to remove all drives as mentioned above, so just be sure you have the MAIN OS disk set correctly to your new disk in Advanced BIOS page, and remove your USB Devices.

If you are doing a clean install it should be much easier, remove all drives and USB devices as I mentioned above, be sure your disk is set proper in Advanced BIOS, and then install.

Any SSD compatibility has nothing to do with this issue, so that's not what's going on here. The SSD incompatibilities were just SMART Command Failed errors at bootup, those have been resolved in the newer BIOS, other than that there is no issues.

*Edit*

Since you have a clean install now, if you still have that setup you can correct it manually. Remove all USB devices, set Hard Disk Boot Priority correctly, make sure disk is connected to SATAII_0 and then use the "Second Method" here with your install DVD
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread Information