Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

In your instructions for how to make a bootable USB you have a Note at the bottom of the instructions.

It states....

*NOTE*
    You will need to change the ^^ p35ds4.fxx ^^ in the above command to the exact name of the BIOS file you have.

Step 14 states.......

14. Run flash utility by typing "flash895 p35ds4.fxx" without the quotes at the DOS prompt

I dont have a flash file named "Flash895" as mine is named "Efiflash"

So the question I have is this.... Should your Note say that the Entire Command should be changed to Your FLASH FILE NAME and YOUR BIOS NAME Instead of Just a note on changing the Bios file name?

I am going to change both since I assume that Flash895 is an older flash file that comes with older Bios Files. I suppose I will find out the hard way if I am right or wrong.
    Intel i7 3960K
    Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
    16GB mushkin Redline 2133Mhz
    EVGA Superclocked 570 SLI
    2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
    2x 640GB WD Caviar Black Raid Sata 3
    1X 1TB WD Caviar Black Sata 2
    HP X12 Bluray Burner
    1100W ABS Majesty 80+Gold PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    H100 Corsair and Cooler Express

Not sure this is were I should post this, but when you use @BIOS to flast the BIOS, do you need to think about this advice?

"Be sure to flash Backup BIOS also, on post screen by pressing ALT+F12 on your keyboard."

Or is that just when you use QFlash?

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

I was under the impression you needed to fix a bootable disk/USB memory for QFlash but then I found this:

"please do NOT use those options to flash the bios. Go into bios and hit F8 and follow the prompts. QFLASH within bios is the recommended way

you can find the latest bios for your board here but only flash if you need to address an issue, otherwise don't

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html"

Is that correct?

So if I understand this correctly, it's early morning here so I'm going to read this topic more thoroughly tonight just to be sure ^^, you flash the BIOS via the motherboards built in QFlash, at reboot, you press Alt+F12 and that flashes the backup BIOS as well, you then load optimized default at the next reboot (not sure it reboots after flashing the backup BIOS since I've never done it), and finally you reboot and can set up your BIOS as you want to?

Is that the correct way to do it?

And this would apply both to the "GA-P67A-UD3P-B3" and the "GA-EP45-DS3" motherboards?

Want to make sure to flash the EP45-DS3 properly, even though I haven't had ny problems with it, before selling it once I get the P67A-UD3P-B3 up and running. :)

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Quote Originally Posted by NiklasA View Post
    Not sure this is were I should post this, but when you use @BIOS to flast the BIOS, do you need to think about this advice?

"Be sure to flash Backup BIOS also, on post screen by pressing ALT+F12 on your keyboard."

Or is that just when you use QFlash?

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

I was under the impression you needed to fix a bootable disk/USB memory for QFlash but then I found this:

"please do NOT use those options to flash the bios. Go into bios and hit F8 and follow the prompts. QFLASH within bios is the recommended way

you can find the latest bios for your board here but only flash if you need to address an issue, otherwise don't

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html"

Is that correct?

So if I understand this correctly, it's early morning here so I'm going to read this topic more thoroughly tonight just to be sure ^^, you flash the BIOS via the motherboards built in QFlash, at reboot, you press Alt+F12 and that flashes the backup BIOS as well, you then load optimized default at the next reboot (not sure it reboots after flashing the backup BIOS since I've never done it), and finally you reboot and can set up your BIOS as you want to?

Is that the correct way to do it?

And this would apply both to the "GA-P67A-UD3P-B3" and the "GA-EP45-DS3" motherboards?

Want to make sure to flash the EP45-DS3 properly, even though I haven't had ny problems with it, before selling it once I get the P67A-UD3P-B3 up and running. :)
    Yes it is highly recommend to load optimized defaults before flashing the bios and/or after flashing a bios. It is also highly recommend that you use q-flash for all flashing. But there are always exceptions to the rules. When gigabyte added 3tb hdd support the file size of the bios changed from 1.0MB to 2.0MB. Q-flash does not like the file size change. This is where you need to use @bios.

When flashing with @bios its no different then flashing with q-flash. You still should load optimized defaults (or what ever it takes to get the system to boot with out crashing) and make sure to place a check in the box for clear DMI Pool Data.

After flashing boot back into the bios and load optimized defaults.

As far as updating the back up bios, Some users have notice stability problems with main bios and back bios are to far apart in version numbers (ie. mbios F13d bbios f5d) So we suggest updating the backup bios. The other benefit from this is if the backup bios kicks in and has to reflash the main bios you still be on the same bios version and you would not have to reflash your main bios back to the version you have it at.

This goes for all gigabyte board up to current with dual bios support.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

uDraft is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    ..................When gigabyte added 3tb hdd support the file size of the bios changed from 1.0MB to 2.0MB. Q-flash does not like the file size change. This is where you need to use @bios..............
    yes, and thank you

Be sure to flash Backup BIOS also, on post screen by pressing ALT+F12 on your keyboard.
    I must say I didn't get that to work, the only thing I got was the boot meny to chose what hardware I wanted to boot from, nothing about flashing any BIOS?

stasio is offline GIGABYTE Elite

Added video in the thread "GIGABYTE Latest Beta BIOS " (first page) - How to update your backup bios on GIGABYTE boards .
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    Added video in the thread "GIGABYTE Latest Beta BIOS " (first page) - How to update your backup bios on GIGABYTE boards .
    Thank you, seems like I had to do it just at the right moment when you saw the black background, otherwise it just registered as F12 instead of Alt+F12.

Is it optional to clear CMOS or is it a must?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Clear CMOS is optional when flashing the BIOS, as it should be cleared by the update anyway, but it is suggested after flashing to ensure no old settings are being carried over because that can cause issues.

Or at least fully power down the board after the update, then power up and enter the BIOS and load optimized and apply/reboot back to BIOS to make any needed changes before proceeding to the OS (Don't forget your SATA settings!).

Yeah, noticed windows didn't like it when I forgot to change to ACHI. Everything else I did correctly, even the clear_cmos, but it's good to hear I wont have to do that again.

And it's very nice to see you again Lsdmeasap. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Clear CMOS is optional when flashing the BIOS, as it should be cleared by the update anyway, but it is suggested after flashing to ensure no old settings are being carried over because that can cause issues.

Or at least fully power down the board after the update, then power up and enter the BIOS and load optimized and apply/reboot back to BIOS to make any needed changes before proceeding to the OS (Don't forget your SATA settings!).

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

With Windows Vista and 7 it's not such a big deal with IDE and AHCI Modes, because Windows will just update the drivers accordingly without issue per the BIOS setting used.

But with XP it can cause issues and it's SUPER important that you set RAID again if you are using a RAID array, otherwise you can/will corrupt the array if you forget and boot to windows without setting the BIOS back to RAID after a clear CMOS or BIOS update.

And thank you, it's great to be back!

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread Information