Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Default Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Hi

I read the flashbios-qflash guide on gigabyte website, I have 2 questions.

1. It says to flash the main BIOS and then repeat for the backup BIOS, do you have to repeat or can you leave it running the old BIOS so that if there is a problem you can maybe have an option to go into BIOS and q-flash and copy backup (old) back into the just flashed main BIOS that caused issues?

2. If you load default setting after a BIOS flash, then if for example you have 2.1V RAM that refused to POST at default EP45-DS4 MB setting, which is 1.8V, then you will have to take the RAM out and put maybe 1.8V RAM and go into BIOS and adjust DRAM Voltage to 2.1V and power off and replace back with orginal high performance RAM, this is terrible and there must be a better and more fool proof method.

regards

krishan

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Do you have DQ6? If not you do not need to worry about question 1. If you do, then yes you can leave the old in there if you like, as long as it is compatible with your CPU

As for 2, when you load optimized, before you save and apply you can change the voltage to 2.1. That would be fine for sure

I have the EP45-DS4, so I assume you mean, just repeat for backup BIOS as well, is that correct?

On the RAM, ok, if I first time load default setting and then go into DRAM Voltage and set that to 2.1 and save it with a profile name, then if I flash BIOS I will load the saved profile that includes just the adjusted RAM voltage, is that OK?

KRISHAN

DS4 you cannot access the backup BIOS so you will not have to worry about that

As for Ram and your flash, after you flash Load optimized defaults in the BIOS and before you save and apply just go into the MIT Section and set the ram voltage you want. Then hit save and apply/reboot. You don't have to save a profile for that, and really you cannot because the next time you flash that profile will be gone and different BIOS adjustments may be made internally with the new BIOS version anyway. So you would need to do it the way I say above after each flash

Hello

I am ready to flash my BIOS for the first time ever. My MB is EP45-DS4 Rev. 1.0 running BIOS F6.

1. Can I go direct to F9?
    2. When you extract the downloaded file it comes as 3 files as in the attachment, do I only copy the .......F9 (1M) file onto the floppy?

thanks

krishan
    Attached Images Attached Images BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"-bios-jpg 

Yes, you can flash right to F9. Yeap, you only need the ep45ds4.f9 file on the floppy if you are using qflash.

Dont forget to load optimized defaults after you flash

I flashed to F9, all was OK, for a few hours, started loading additional programs and then started seeing Blue screens.

I thought it might be the programs, but in the end, after messages back to microsoft, it would report hardware problem, CPU/RAM/PSU.

So what I did was take my easytune SPORTS setting back to disabled, and all OK, tried CRUISE, no problems, but under 3DMARK6 the score is less than when I had it on SPORTS and F6, so I have a couple of choices I want to run past you:

1. Go back to F6, Can you go back?, Is that the best option or someother inbetwen?

2. Since it is DualBIOS, why is there no option to revert to last version of BIOS, ie. F6?

3. Any other suggestions

krishan

Add NOTE:

I have gone back to F6, and interesting results.
    Using Easytune SPORTS setting 3DMARK6 score with F6 is 15675, With F9 system crashes. With above reset to disabled and CPU frequency enabled and FSB overclocked to 380MHz, using F6 score is 15650, using F9 score is 15771. Given that I am not looking to go into serious overclocking at the moment I am better off with F6 BIOS
    Last edited by krishcanag; 11-01-2008 at 06:43 AM. Reason: done it

Yes you can go back, but it is better for you to not use those "Sport" type settings and just set everything yourself.

There is, but you can only access that if your board BIOS crashes

F9 BIOS is way better, likely uses some more advanced settings which your old BIOS did not have. Again, best to disable that and manually set things, you will get far better scores

Hi... can use a BETA BIOS???? is Reliable???????????

In my case F4A Ep35 Ds3 F3 (Rev 2.1)
    Q6600 3.0 VID 1.3250
    Vitesta Extreme 1066 5-5-5-15 2X2 gB 2.200
    Xfx 9800 GTX Standard
    2 Seagate 500 Gb 7200.10
    Ga-Ep35-Ds3 F3
    Tx750 Corsair
    Lg dvd ram
    Acer 22''

Yes, you can try a Beta BIOS. Just remember it is Beta, and may or may not have issues

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information