Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: proformance increase with raid setup?

Default Re: proformance increase with raid setup?

I was about to mention the platter density. IIRC, the Samsung Spinpoint F1 series was one of the first with 340GB platters; and they have ~320GB, ~640GB, and 1TB models. Seagate has two 1TB models: older with 4*250GB platters and new with 3*340GB platters.

But speed (and what speed counts does depend on the usage pattern) may not be the only concern. I prefer drives with 5-year warranty, even if that costs extra.

If it's WD hard drives you're interested in and you're looking for performance, I would look into the WD Caviar Black series (dual cpu controller, 32mb cache, 5 yr warranty). If the price difference is small between a 500 and 640gb hd, then go for the 640gb because if everything else is equal (same line from same hd manufacturer) the 640 will be faster due to its bigger areal density per platter (2x320 vs 2x250).

The velociraptors are in a league of their own though. Not only are they the only 10,000 RPM hard drives, but what makes them feel much quicker than other drives is the low access time. Plus, since they are actually 2.5" drives, they are more energy efficient. It's not often that you get more performance AND better energy efficiency from a product. Plus, it's pretty quiet also.

Their main problem is the price to capacity ratio which in that case can seem overpriced for many people. They've dropped down significantly in price lately as I've seen them go for below $200 (300gb model).

I went tonight and got 2 Caviar Blue 640GB with a 4 yr warranty from Microcenter for 8.99 over their 3 year from WD that way if i ever have any problems they will replace at the store.For 76.00 each how can you go wrong.Well this will be my X-Mas day project after the kid toys are all put together.Wish me luck and thx for the help.I hope all have a Merry Christmas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster 932haf
    ASUS P6T DELUVE V2
    Inte I7 920-4.0/4.2
    CoolIt DOMINO A.L.C
    CoolIt DualBay Gpu Cooler
    ASUS 4870-815/1050(crossfire)
    OCZ Platinum6GB DDR3-1600
    WesternDigtal VelociRaptor 300gb
    Corsair THX 750watt
    Vista Premium64sp2
    3DMARK06:28,515
    3DMARK VANTAGE 20,006

I neeed some help if any one is on
    Problem is when i got to
    Windows select driver to be installed i went to floppy drive and noting is on disket not sure what i did but for what ever reason i did something wrong now the roblem i have is i made a disk with raid drive on it and when i got to it in the
    browse for folder windows cant run it keeps telling me that there is nothing there it says
    +floppy disk drive
    +cd drive(d:)dec 25 2008(raid drivers)
    +boot(x:)
    i dont know what i did but seems like floppy is dead(just my luck have only used it 2 times in 2 years) any help?
    Last edited by K91NE; 12-26-2008 at 06:44 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster 932haf
    ASUS P6T DELUVE V2
    Inte I7 920-4.0/4.2
    CoolIt DOMINO A.L.C
    CoolIt DualBay Gpu Cooler
    ASUS 4870-815/1050(crossfire)
    OCZ Platinum6GB DDR3-1600
    WesternDigtal VelociRaptor 300gb
    Corsair THX 750watt
    Vista Premium64sp2
    3DMARK06:28,515