Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H V1.1 Help!

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H V1.1 Help!

The configuration:

GA-MA78GM-S2H V1.1 F5 bios
    Amd Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (65nm)
    2X2 G.Skill DDR2800
    Seagate 500 G SATA
    Liteon SATA DVD/RW
    Corsair 520 PSU

I'm getting multiple sporadic post errors. Most of the time the beep codes are all over the place. Almost sounds like an old hardware handshake (dial up modem).

I've tried re-seating, re-mounting the mother-board, using only 1 dimm, switching dimm slots, posting with mobo not in case, etc etc etc.

Sometimes, after a cmos clear, it will post. But if it's rebooted it goes back to the same crazy beeps and no post. Sometimes I'll get a post error message box, sometimes I won't.

After getting a successful post I've tried three times to power through a Vista install, but it doesn't make it. It hangs on "Completing Installation". I've had a few BSODs during attempted Vista installs as well.

It almost seems like the board is shorting, but I've tried it out of the case and it still does it. It's like the bios is corrupted or was bad flashed. I don't have a floppy to qflash it or try a previous bios. Is there anyway to trick qflash to flash from a cd?

Has anyone seen anything like this? Or should I just RMA the board.

Thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H V1.1 Help!

You can use a CD, read the guide I posted about flashing, you would use the floppy method listed in post #2, but use CD's instead of floppy's. You will need a MS-DOS CD though, like Hirens or Ultimate BOOT disk to load DOS. But then after that you may follow the rest of the steps with CD in place of Floppy

Read the guide over, Because It is likely you have a USB Stick right? If so then you can just use that with Qflash >>>

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

As you will see you also have a third flash option, Use Qflash with a FAT32 Partition on a hard drive. So you do have a few flashing options for sure

F5 is the latest NON Beta BIOS for your board, but you may want to try a older one as newer is for sure not always better
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.1)

Did you ever go in and Choose "Load Optimized Defaults"? If you did not please do and reboot and see if you get any further. You will need to make your disk changes again before you try to install windows.

I say to do that, because if you, or whoever flashed F5 in there did not do those steps then the Flash was not done properly and may be the reason for your issues.

Aside from all that BIOS talk, did you or can you test your ram ONE stick at a time with memtest86+ at stock? In your system if you can or another if you cannot. You may have a DOA stick is why I ask this >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Also, I see you said you did try one stick. Was this one stick in slot one? If not try that. Also, 2x2GB does need some BIOS adjustments. I do not know anything about AMD BIOS, so hopefully you do. You will need the highest refresh cycle your BIOS allows, and you will need to also add some Memory controller voltage as well

I would also see how the Post goes, if it seems better or not, with NO hard drive attached. Sometimes a bad drive can make it seem like a BIOS or other hardware issue.

Good luck, wish I could help more but that is about all I can say for a AMD BIOS.

Test those sticks for sure somewhere so you know if that is the cause or not

A few hours after that post I gave in and assembled a test system. All the components work. It's the board. The only thing I didn't put in the test system were the drives, and I've done post tests with no drives outside the case and it still wouldn't post. No matter what I do it corrupts the checksum every time it posts. I also went to my office and got a flash drive and flashed the bios. It didn't help.

If I clear the cmos, it will post one time, then on the next cycle it will give crazy tones that don't mean anything and no post. If I clear the cmos again, it will post but with a checksum error.

I'm just going to RMA the board to newegg.

Thanks a lot for the response.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sounds like a Plan, Newegg RMA is painless.

Sorry to hear about it, good luck with your new one

Thread Information