Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bios flash problems EP35-DS3l

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Bios flash problems EP35-DS3l

Ya, I have heard the same at various places. More so aimed at 45nm overclocking though. I have it on myself, but havent messed with my settings in forever, but they were stable either way long ago. I have not changed anything in probably 5 months, and installed Water maybe 2 months ago and havent even had time to play in that yet!!

Ya, people do make it out to be WAY more of an adverse affect then it really is. I mean all you have to do to overcome it is up the volts some more really.

Well that is not what I see, And I have tables for most all the BIOS's. The DS3 and DS4 are the same but the DQ6 variants all have a few more options as well as the step differences. The S and SL versions are budget is why I asked as I do not have them, but I remember my S3 along time ago having less options then the DS3 at the time.

And yeah I knew loadline was added later for most P35 boards but not all. I thought maybe you had or had access to a budget S or SL model is why you replied here. So that is why I asked if you knew

Hey, if you do want to see a "Active Table" type thing for most Gigabyte Boards there is a nice thing over here to check out, you can see all pages of alot of boards. Click on "Optimale Gigabyte™ BIOS Einstellungen" then select a model>>>>
    Computertechnik JZelectronic

Beta's are also there sometimes before anywhere else "Neue BIOSe von Gigabyte" Then click top linked Square button

Well loadline calibration is only going to change something near the the CPUs maximum overclock, if you're not going to the maximum with your current cooling it doesn't really matter.

I have the P45 DS3L here at the moment that I'm testing it. I has the same options as all models up to and including the DQ6, the Extreme may have some more options for all I know (need to compare my BIOS with the screens of the Extrme at clunk.org.uk).

But whether the P35 DS3L has loadline calibration, the OP should be able to answer that :)

Also I know JZ, being from Germany I actually have bought boards from him directly^^ He's pretty much a Gigabyte guru, has been selling only Gigabyte boards for years, is a mod on the official german Gigabyte forums and knows some guys at Gigabyte Taiwan.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, I was referring to the P35's DQ6 having more options not P45

Ohh yeah! That is cool, I wish I could read that page in English. IS there a english button on it anywhere? I do see some sites have them, I'd like to be able to view it easier.

Well, Maybe the OP will let us know. And which BIOS version he is using if he does not have it in there

I am about to jet, I will see you tomorrow. Have a good one

Two things:

1. the P35-DS3L definitely does not have Loadline control.

2. The voltage set in the BIOS does matter. The voltage set in the BIOS is the maximum voltage the processor will be subjected to at any point.

If you want a voltage of 1.35 at idle and have .05 V-offset (also called V-drop) BIOS voltage is set to 1.40 volts.

This graphic shows what is being talked about. Complements of AnandTech:
    AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

As intended, Voffset and Vdroop ensure that the supply voltage never exceeds CPU VID

The CPU VID setting establishes the absolute maximum allowable processor supply voltage experienced during transient conditions and is not the target idle voltage. We hope this statement draws attention to this important distinction, as many believe the opposite to be true - a mistake all too commonly made. Together, Vdroop and Voffset ensure that the peak CPU supply voltage seen during heavy to light loading changes remains well below the established maximum. If you determine that 1.17V, as in the case above, is not sufficient for maintaining CPU stability under load, simply increasing the CPU VID does correct the problem. Let's now examine how the system responds if we remove Voffset.

If you are worried about the amount of total droop here is a quote from the same article:

Intel Processor Power Delivery Guidelines (Cont'd)

In this next case we eliminate Vdroop altogether and examine the chaos that ensues. As illustrated by our model, removing Vdroop does nothing to reduce the magnitude of the idle to full-load transient but does increase the settling time as the VRM must recover to a higher final regulation voltage. As in the case of no Voffset, it is possible to exceed the maximum allowable CPU voltage (VID). Clearly, removing Vdroop gains us nothing and only serves to create problems that are more serious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information