Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IDE DVD burner seen as SCSI and sloooooowww...

Default Re: IDE DVD burner seen as SCSI and sloooooowww...

Thanks again! I'll update the Intel drivers tonight then, let's see what happens. Sure it won't mess up my RAID/IDE settings?
    Is it possible to exclude the audio drivers from the automatic Windows update and if so, how?

Final note: has anyone ever told you that you are BY FAR THE BEST SUPPORT MANAGER EVER!!! It's amazing, really: you seem to be online 24/7, your patience is astounding and your solutions are always fast and spot on. I have no clue how you do it, but you do it, and I love it!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, I am sure it will not mess things up

Yes, if you are offered the driver, just right click it and hide (Do not offer again) You will have to manually go search for updates once to do that though

Thanks Much for the kind words! Yes, Some have said very nice things, there is even a thread or two here specifically to "Thank me". But that is a pretty well worded stack of thanks, so you may be up to the top of the "Thanking Me list"!

I do appreciate it very much! I try when I can, and do try to make it in twice a day to post in the afternoon as well, but lately have not been able to stop in so much in the afternoon.

Please feel free to spread the word to any Fellow Gigabyte users you know that Gigabyte DOES have a support Forum and it is here! I have heard from many that Gigabyte does not have a forum, there is actually 3 I know of. This is the only English one though.

Post back with your success, which you should have with all that tonight!

And thanks again!

It all worked. That is, it worked in two steps. I downloaded the Intel drivers from the Gigabyte website and installed them. That solved the SM-buscontroller problem. Then I got a message from Vista saying that my Intel drivers needed to be updated, and it directed me to the Intel website. But didn't I just update them a few minutes ago? Anyway, I downloaded the drivers straight from Intel and installed them, and now Vista doesn't nag anymore.

I also checked all the automatic Vista updates and didn't find any sound drivers, so I suppose it will not try to update those. And since my sound is working, I'll leave it at that. There are still two sound devices in my Control Panel though. Oh well...

So my conclusion is that I now finally have a solid Vista system. It's still running on factory defaults, so now it's time to do some overclocking. I still have the settings you recommended to me earlier, so I'll give it a try later this week. Thanks again!

Wow really! I have never saw Vista or any system tell a user to update Intel drivers, let alone direct them there!

That is very strange

2 Sound devices in control panel, which panel? Where/which? Post a image, could be normal depending on which panel you mean, and which tow it is showing

Good luck with overclocking!

I have the Dutch version of Vista, so I don't know the proper name for it. I get a Dutch name, "Apparaatbeheer". Could be something like Device Manager instead of Control Panel then? Anyway, it's the same list you showed earlier on page 2, showing all the hardware that's in the system. You used it when you showed that your Core 2 Duo appears twice in the list too. (edit: I checked, it is Device Manager)

I was surprised by the link to Intel too. Maybe Vista could not automatically dowload the drivers by itself and needed manual intervention? What's weird too, is that the version of the drivers I downloaded from Intel was THE SAME as the version I downloaded from Gigabyte. So maybe the file I downloaded from Gigabyte was corrupted and that's why Vista didn't understand it?
    Either way, I have learned over the years (and especially over the past few days, haha) that if it works, you shouldn't worry too much about WHY it is working. It's only when things stop working, then you should start investigating ;-)
    Last edited by Jamie74; 09-22-2008 at 05:35 PM.

OK, yeah that is Device Manager. So what is showing in it, can you post a image so I can see which section you are talking about and what is shown?

Well gigabyte repacks things, that is why I always get my drivers direct from Intel and Realtek when I update mine.

But that strange thing is I have never seen that in TONS of installs, even when no drivers are installed. Was this vista update that told you that or just some other window? Very strange

Ya, if it ins't broke, don't fix it!

Nah, it wasn't Vista Update, it was a screen that suddenly popped up saying that my Intel drivers were not properly installed and that I needed to download the latest version from Intel. It gave a link to the Intel website. My first thought was that it might be some sort of malware, so I was careful to check that I really went to the Intel site.

I downloaded the Intel package and unzipped it. Then, I went to Device Manager and tried to update the Intel drivers from there (right click, update drivers, point Vista to the newly created directory to search for the updated driver). Then, it said that it could not find any updated drivers in that directory. So, then I simply ran "setup.exe" from that directory and after that I never saw the Vista popup window again.

I'll make a screenshot of the audio devices tonight.

Still, very strange! NEVER saw that myself on any PC, with no drivers, old ones or new.

K, post a screenshot when ya can, at least it is working for you now though. That is the good part

OK, here's the image of my device manager window, showing the properties for both audio devices. Any idea why there are two? All I have is the onboard audio for my GA-EP35C-DS3R...

Well, image is too small for me to read well. But it looks to me to be the Microsoft UUA driver, which is not needed at all. But it comes bundled with the Realtek driver if you download from Gigabyte, which you do not have to do. You can download directly from realtek (Which I do and suggest) and then this driver will not be installed

I see you have realtek installed correctly, so what I would do if it concerns you is in device manager (In SAFE MODE) uninstall that other device, and if asked click yes to delete the drivers.

Then reboot, if it is a needed driver Vista will ask you to update, this is why safe mode and delete drivers was suggested. Once you get in windows again in normal mode see if the sound still works, if it does Great. Then click do not ask again for the driver update if you do get the window I mention above asking for driver. If your sound does not work now, please go back into safe mode and reinstall the reatek driver again and reboot.

That should fix it. If not and you still are asked to update the driver, and your sound is not working then you may have to update it and just not worry about it since it would be then again working.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information