Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: IDE DVD burner seen as SCSI and sloooooowww...

Default Re: IDE DVD burner seen as SCSI and sloooooowww...

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

You asked "In the bios, what mode is the Intel ICH controller in? Legacy, Native, AHCI/raid?"

I assume by Intel ICH controller you mean the first 2 entries above. Both of mine are disabled as in the screenshot.

If you are using 2000/xp/vista you really should have the interface in "native" mode. At present it's in legacy mode.

So second bios entry down:-

SATA port 0-3 Native mode, set to enable. It shouldn't affect anything data wise, but simply allow your OS to assign IRQ's as it sees fit.
    I'm assuming your Blu-ray drive will be on one of these 4 ports and hopefully it should be seen differently.
    If it doesn't, then it could be a bios issue etc.

However before you change the setting, how does the bios list this interface usage? ie on bios screen.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post

However before you change the setting, how does the bios list this interface usage? ie on bios screen.
    The page that shows how those 4 ports are used lists the 3 hard drives but shows the 4th port where the BluRay drive is connected as empty.

So second bios entry down:-

SATA port 0-3 Native mode, set to enable. It shouldn't affect anything data wise, but simply allow your OS to assign IRQ's as it sees fit.
    I'm assuming your Blu-ray drive will be on one of these 4 ports and hopefully it should be seen differently.
    If it doesn't, then it could be a bios issue etc.
    Thanks again for trying to help with this VorLonUK. I've tried changing the 2nd entry to "enabled" to make it "native" mode then rebooting. This doesn't change how windows sees the BluRay drive but it does find an unknown "PCI device" with the add new hardware wizard and tries autodiscover and install from the internet when I check "this time only", but, fails. What could this PCI device be? Same thing happens when I enable AHCI mode with the first entry listed. My hard drives on those SATA headers continue to work fine but the BR optical drive is not seen... except as unuseable SCSI entries in device manager.
    Last edited by Delicious2; 02-26-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious2 View Post
    The page that shows how those 4 ports are used lists the 3 hard drives but shows the 4th port where the BluRay drive is connected as empty.
    I think thats the interesting part. The fact that the bios status/reporting page isn't seeing a device connected to that port. Have you another sata cd/dvd device you could try on that port?

Have you tried swapping the ports, ie tried the BR drive on another port? If you stay between the bios and reboots for troubleshooting (ie not going into windows) nothing like drive order etc will change.

What you need to find out is if your BR drive has a problem with your board. If the bios can't see it, it could be a bios support issue, a faulty drive, faulty port, faulty cable etc.

As far as i remember the SATA drives always show up in th bios in Legacy and I believe Native mode too. It's only when you enable AHCI mode that the drives disappear (well on my board) on the normal bios basic status screen.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Wow, again thx for the amazingly quick response. I don't have another SATA optical device to try on that header, but, I may pick one up. Good clue about the device not being seen in BIOS. I'll try swapping SATA headers and cables tonite. Any idea what the mystery PCI device could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious2 View Post
    Wow, again thx for the amazingly quick response. I don't have another SATA optical device to try on that header, but, I may pick one up. Good clue about the device not being seen in BIOS. I'll try swapping SATA headers and cables tonite. Any idea what the mystery PCI device could be?
    Not sure what the PCI device is at present (as i don't know your complete setup). It may well have something to do with the BR drive being connected (although not properly seen), I just don't know :(

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hi lsdme :-)

I think the poster is narrowing down the problem now...

I did note on the Gigabyte Page for this board that there is a Revision 1.0 board or a revision 3.3. That's quite a jump, which revision board have you got Delicious2?

which revision board have you got Delicious2?
    How can I tell which revision it is? Thanks for the help in tracking this down. A new SATA cable to the BR drive solved the problem. Now detected properly as long as AHCI is not enabled.

peace,
    Mark H

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information