Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-EP35C-DSR3 non-speaker clicking/buzzing/humming issue

Default Re: GA-EP35C-DSR3 non-speaker clicking/buzzing/humming issue

Quote Originally Posted by gigafan200 View Post
    A Recent experience... I just bought a New Gigabyte board. For a week I thought a noise(slight whinning, chattering just enough to catch my attention) was coming form my board(CPU area) when my CPU stepped up, ie..start a program or cursor up and down on IExplorer. Read about ferrite chokes in another thread in this forum and swore that it was from the motherboard. Read a little more and some had suggested to check the the video card and power supply also. Did some troubleshooting. Pulled out one on my (2) video cards and the noise went away. So mine was one the video cards.
    Yep, Graphics cards have chokes too, but unless you definately located the source of the noise, the removal of one of the graphics cards would have altered the loading on the PSU and Motherboard, which inturn would alter the specific circumstances as to when the noise scenario would appear.

A specific change in the hardware combination in a particular setup could make the noise dissappear, ie a different CPU (so the VRM loading is different), or a different GPU (so the PSU/board loading is different) or even a different PSU. And as there are so many hardware combinations out there (even with the same board), not everyone will have a "noise" issue.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-05-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thumbs up Re: GA-EP35C-DSR3 non-speaker clicking/buzzing/humming issue

Quote Originally Posted by nty_don View Post
    HOW TO FIX THE NOISE

Reboot.
    Mash Delete until you get into the BIOS.
    Go to "Advanced Features"
    Change "CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to Disabled.
    Change "CPU EIST Function" to Disabled.
    Hit Esc.
    Hit F10.
    Make sure it says Y, then press Enter.

Your CPU should now run at 8x (or 9x, depending on model) multiplier rather than dropping down to 6x at low CPU usage. This uses more power, but probably not a lot more. The sound should have completely disappeared.
    Thank you very much for posting this information! You are my hero!

I've had my new computer for little over two months and the high frequency noise was driving me crazy. My bios isn't the same as yours but I did have the C1E and when I disabled that f***er the noise was no more. Hurray!!!

My Computer: ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 S-1366, INTEL CORE I7 940 2.93GHZ, ASUS Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3, Corsair 6GB DDR3 XMS3

Sincerely
    LarsErik

Quote Originally Posted by gigafan200 View Post
    A Recent experience... I just bought a New Gigabyte board. For a week I thought a noise(slight whinning, chattering just enough to catch my attention) was coming form my board(CPU area) when my CPU stepped up, ie..start a program or cursor up and down on IExplorer. Read about ferrite chokes in another thread in this forum and swore that it was from the motherboard. Read a little more and some had suggested to check the the video card and power supply also. Did some troubleshooting. Pulled out one on my (2) video cards and the noise went away. So mine was one the video cards.
    Update...Installed my old Antec 500W PSU, originally had a 1000W Ultra. All noise went away. The PSU was incompatible with my hardware combo as per Ultra. Hope this helps someone.

I had the same problem with the noise when the CPU was idle and the multiplier changed from 9 to 6.
    I tried to disable the C1E and EIST options from BIOS and it worked, no more noise. The problem is that now the CPU runs at the maximum frequency all the time (even if it is not required), so it generates more heat and the fan runs at higher speed (~1500 instead of 1300 RPM). So no more interference noise, but more noise from the fan.
    I didn't like this solution, so I searched more and I found in another thread that lowering the voltage for the CPU will have the same effect (http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...l-noise-27794/). So I enabled back the C1E and EIST and lowered the CPU voltage from 1.3 V to 1.25 V and magic, after one year of frustrations, no more noise

Yes, It often only requires a very subtle change for the noise to go away as when the chokes are loaded very slighly differently it is enough to stop them "ringing" and causing us to hear that annoying sound.

Any change that is made in respect to the CPU loading ie the current it draws can have the same affect in "moving" that noise "sweet spot" to another operating range that you don't operate the PC in, hence you'll not hear the noise.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information