Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EP45-DS3R - can't change memory settings

Default Re: EP45-DS3R - can't change memory settings

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nice, in a way.

Maybe it is just the ram, I see OCZ has been updating SPD programming since it was wrong from the get go, so I could see it.
    Where do you see updates? I just did a search over at OCZ forum, and I couldn't find any SPD updates for ocz2n800sr4gk.

Yes, you can go higher in voltages, you are likely getting far less then you see in the BIOS once inside windows.
    Yeah, I had a large Vdroop at one time, but that seems to have diminished for whatever reason. Since I can't control VDroop, it scares me to go higher if the Vdroop drops all of a sudden (leaving me with a much higher Vcore than I expected). BTW, what is the highest VCore you'd be comfortable with?

As for the main issue if it is not the sensitive ram, maybe it is the BIOS version. Have you tested others?
    I haven't tried any other version just yet. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that OCing with a beta BIOS (namely 10g) is just asking for trouble.

Do you have $$ to spare? If so you may want to look into buying some Mushkins
    :-) Where there's a will, there's a way. But I'm a cheap a$$, ... errr ... thrifty. So therefore, no will ;-)

That no Trd shown makes me think maybe the BIOS is indeed buggy, as even in Auto you should see a setting. High one likely,but it should be there for sure.
    I'll wait for F10 to go official and see what the results are.

No matter what others say, you don't know it, until you try it. Right now i'm using F10g and runing 8 GB of ram tweaking it to its performance. Everything is stable right now and if you not sure about 10g you could try F9 bios, will keep you busy and make you ready for F10. And if F9 will solve your problems, then you won't need to flash to F10 at all.
    Gaming Rig
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 Ghz | Gigabyte EP45-DS3R (F10g) | G.Skill (4x2) 8GB DDRII PC-6400 (5-5-5-15) | BFG GeForce 260 GTX Core 216 896 MB OCX |
    WD 160 GB 7200 SATAII x2 (RAID0) | WD 150 GB Raptor 10K RPM 16 MB SATAII (Storage,Page) | Seasonic M12-500W | Raidmax Scorpio 868 (Clear Window)
    HTPC
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 + @ 2.2 Ghz | DFI NForce4 LP SLI-D (3/29)| OCZ (2X1) 2GB DDRI PC-3200 SO (2-3-2-5) | Gigabyte GeForce 9600 GT 512 DDR3 Silent |
    WD 80 GB 7200 8 MB IDE | Tagan i-Xeye 420W | ThermalTake Mozart Silver (VC-4000)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, you have to reach a certain # of posts before you can edit posts.

Yeah, Vdrop/Vdroop varies at different voltage settings, so always keep a eye on it

Ahh, the updates I speak of were Pm'd to me by VorLonUK, Here is those pages >>>
    The importance of tRFC and 4/8GB of memory - OCZ Forum

Highest Vcore to me always only depends on temps, if they are reasonable I have more room is how I look at it. You should be fine with 1.4-1.45 but it will likely be hot at anything over 1.4 actual voltage within windows and may lessen CPU life (Whatever that means, I have only ever seen ONE be killed on accident)

Yeah Beta's are not suggested for a few reasons, a Flash is ALWAYS A risk, and Beta's are just that a Beta and not final so may contain more bugs then the version you are using now. But you can Always test any Beta or BIOS version you like of course, just be sure to get one that supports your CPU (Any above the Rev # listed for your CPU on the CPU Support List).

As said above as well, all boards and different hardware will act differently together so what works for you may not work at all for me even with the same components. Best to try if you are willing

Best thing about BIOS's to do is find one you like and keep it for a while. Have you tried any under F9? You can use F5 and onward, so you may want to try F7 or F8 as they specifically address memory compatibility

Ya, you have to reach a certain # of posts before you can edit posts.
    Thx. Didn't know that.

Yeah, Vdrop/Vdroop varies at different voltage settings, so always keep a eye on it
    ... and seems to vary depending on load. This is what has me worried about setting VCore too high. I feel as if I have no control over what voltage is actually applied across the CPU rail.

Ahh, the updates I speak of were Pm'd to me by VorLonUK, Here is those pages >>>
    The importance of tRFC and 4/8GB of memory - OCZ Forum
    Thx. Read the link. My tRFC is at 52 or 54, so I won't be needing any updates.

Highest Vcore to me always only depends on temps, if they are reasonable I have more room is how I look at it. You should be fine with 1.4-1.45 but it will likely be hot at anything over 1.4 actual voltage within windows and may lessen CPU life (Whatever that means, I have only ever seen ONE be killed on accident)
    I have some booklearning in this area. i.e. semiconductor engineering. :-) The higher voltages will "break down" the transistor junctions faster. (they don't actually break, but you know what I mean). So eventually, the CPU will have to run at a lower speed so as not to have errors. This is what ppl mena when they say OC will shorten the life of a CPU. In the worst case, the junction does actually break down, the transistor becomes useless. In this case, the CPU will have a hardware flaw and it will either not work at all, or will turn on, but consistently produce errors so that it is effectively useless.

While this is all fine in theory, I have not been a practicing engineer for decades. So I am really interested in other people's practical experience with high VCores that won't fry the CPU. Since my cores seem to be only at 60deg, I feel like I have some headroom.

Yeah Beta's are not suggested for a few reasons, a Flash is ALWAYS A risk, and Beta's are just that a Beta and not final so may contain more bugs then the version you are using now. But you can Always test any Beta or BIOS version you like of course, just be sure to get one that supports your CPU (Any above the Rev # listed for your CPU on the CPU Support List).

As said above as well, all boards and different hardware will act differently together so what works for you may not work at all for me even with the same components. Best to try if you are willing

Best thing about BIOS's to do is find one you like and keep it for a while. Have you tried any under F9? You can use F5 and onward, so you may want to try F7 or F8 as they specifically address memory compatibility
    Yup. OCing takes tiime. I generally prefer to be testing settings on a known stable BIOS release than to be mucking with something that could be unstable. Since I have all the revs, I may as well fire up one of the earlier ones to see if I can change mem timings and not have the BIOS barf.

Well just keep a Eye on what droop you have at what setting and your temps and you will be fine.

Ya, I do know that, but it rarely happens as well. It can also cause metal "Flash" (Cant remember what it is really called? Excess crystal-like if ya know what I mean, which you do likely) to grow and cause shorts thru the high-K gate

For a Real Answer of what your limit would be and what Others are using you could always google (be sure to add CPU speed to the search as well IE: What Vcore are you using at 3.6) >>>
    Q9550 What Voltage are you using - Google Search

or
    Q9550 What Vcore are you using - Google Search

What I do find on overclocking sites is that most users on normal water or air use 1.45 as a max, and 1.5 as a extreme for 45Nm

High Vtt is what you have to watch out for in the 45nm CPU's the hafnium gates get shot out quick at high vtt >>>
    AnandTech

And you have to also keep in mind, what you set and what you get in windows is always less, and varies at different voltage ranges

Do you take advantage of BIOS profiles? If not you should, save some time and much efforts. You could keep one stable profile, and several overclock ones you are working on. On the MAIN page of the BIOS F11 is save, and F12 is load, be sure when you go to save your second profile and so one that you Arrow down past the first one to write in the name or you will overwrite it

Ya, I generally say NON beta is better, but I have seen many have good results and keep using Beta's even after final version is released

Okey dokey. Here's where things stand:

Memory is OC'ed to 900MHz. Overnight Memset+ ran 32 passes with no errors.

BIOS setting for VCore is ~1.43V Observed VCore is 1.33V under load (because of VDroop). Vcore is slightly higher when idle. Termination voltage is 1.41V. PLL is 1.6V. At 100% load, all core temps are 60deg and below (per RealTemp; SpeedFan shows higher).

CPU is still not stable at 3.6GHz. I get several hours before I encounter an error on Prime. How wish I didn't get the C1/SLAWQ stepping.

Meh. I shouldn't complain. The last roll of the dice, I got G0 stepping on the Q6600.

Bottomline, I will run some benchmarks soon. If I don't notice significant performance differences, I may just back off a lot and leave things running at a cooler temp. I would just crank it up when I need to performance.

Lsdmeasap, thanks for all your help man. I wub you.

:-)

BTW, thanks also re: the Save To BIOS. I actually didn't notice that before. This will allow me to have several saved profiles.

Sounds like you are getting there, maybe just some more CPU adjustments, maybe less PLL

Maybe some skew adjustments, and or maybe some actual Core voltage adjustment is still needed. At least now you know your ram is not the issue at hand.

And then, maybe 3.55 or so is the sweet spot for your CPU?

Keep at it, you will get it!!!

Thanks for the kind words!!

Ya, please spread that BIOS profiles info around as much as you can anywhere, lots of users do not notice it and it can be huge help with many things. I have about 6 set right now for various testing and speeds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information