Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EP45-DS3L - New P45 driver posted

ed1 is offline Member

Default Re: EP45-DS3L - New P45 driver posted

Thanks, Lsdmeasap and Rocketbottles. I will try to set up and run memtest tomorrow.

ed1 is offline Member

Well, I just attempted to run memtest86+. I think I followed all of the steps to get it running off of a USB flash drive.

But, as soon as memtest started, before any testing began, I got an error message that said that my program caused a divide/overflow error and that I should contact my program vendor. This was within the screen that said memtest86+ at the top.

I did use the boot files that I obtained from a link in the guide on this forum, as Lsdmeasap mentioned in a previous post. Should I have used my own system's boot files instead? I don't think that is the issue as the system did seem to boot to the USB drive - just that there was an immediate error message about an overflow.

Any advice, please?

Sorry I am such a memtest novice. It seems like an essential tool and I would like to learn how to use it.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Could be a USB caused error, that does not sound like a Memtest error. Do you not have any CD's to burn a ISO on?

Not sure if Those files or Vista ones are any different, but I doubt it matters as it is only DOS and nothing to do with the system

Do you have USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2,0 Enabled in the BIOS?

Ill make a USB disk here in a second and test on my system, I have not made one for a while so it could be something wrong with the specific system files I posted, if so I will post you a link here for working ones. As those WERE posted with BIOS flashing in mind not memtest so it could be missing something?

Ill let ya know here in a few more posts I answer, then I will report back

What I did find for one is, When choosing The boot Device it does not matter what you have set as "First" you can simply with F12 choose "Hard drives" then in the new window select your USB disk and it will boot from it.

I had only used USB Boot on This board once and must have forgot, but seems you must no matter what the "First" boot setting, when wanting to boot from USB choose Hard drives, then choose the USB stick. Seemed to be the only way, at least for me, that it would boot from the USB.

I also noticed that using the Guide for the BIOS flash, only copied partial (3 or 4) of all the files included in the Boot files folder.

I thought this was some error or should have copied them all, which it should as there is plenty that "Could" be used for other DOS Operations.

So I copied them all in myself and this method caused Memtest to start but freeze, I did not get any errors like you described though.

So after formatting my 2GB stick again for a third time (Arrgggg!) and letting only the 3-4 files be on there as the tool makes and add the mt201 file it runs fine

I tested several USB ports, front and back, all worked fine.

So you either need to just reformat and try it again with only the 3-4 files + mt201 or your USB stick may just not work?

I do think the very first time I just used the 3-4 files + mt201 it froze on me as well, but after a few other method tested and going back to the same

Original method as described in the manual +mt201 it worked fine. So you could have just had a messed up copy the first time you tried as it seems I may have as well

So... All in all it works fine.

Make USB Stick as described in the memory Tutorial and add mt201, Leave USB Stick in and reboot use F12 to choose boot device.

Choose Hard Drive/Disks? And then choose your USB stick and it should work fine

ed1 is offline Member

Lsdmeasap, I was able to get the USB drive properly configured and memtest86+ running. Just as you suspected, the problem was that I had loaded ALL of the boot files onto the USB drive. When I reformatted the drive and let the HP format tool configure the USB drive as a bootable drive and just pointed the HP program to the folder where the boot files were, it worked fine. What had confused me was that on the first try, I noticed that none of the boot files were showing on the USB drive when I looked at it in Windows Explorer, so I thought it was empty. In any case, when I reformatted the USB drive and just let the HP tool configure it as a boot drive, then added manually the memtest executable file, everything worked fine - just as you said it would.

So, now my questions are these:

I let memtest run for only 2 passes with both of my 2gb sticks of Corsair DDR2-1066 memory installed. No errors were found. Are 2 passes enough? Do I need to run the test separately on each stick if no errors are reported when testing both in the system together?

Remember, I have reduced the MCH voltage from 1.10v to 1.05v and am apparently getting no memory errors, and the system for the first time seems to be 100% stable. The memory sticks are running at their stickered 5-5-5-15 timing on 2.1 volts at "standard" setting. No other subtimings have been changed from the default bios settings.

So, how happy should I be??

Do I need to do any more testing or adjusting of subtimings? Should I try the "turbo" setting?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all of your help and advice. It is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ed1; 09-22-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed1 View Post
    Lsdmeasap, I was able to get the USB drive properly configured and memtest86+ running. Just as you suspected, the problem was that I had loaded ALL of the boot files onto the USB drive. When I reformatted the drive and let the HP format tool configure the USB drive as a bootable drive and just pointed the HP program to the folder where the boot files were, it worked fine. What had confused me was that on the first try, I noticed that none of the boot files were showing on the USB drive when I looked at it in Windows Explorer, so I thought it was empty. In any case, when I reformatted the USB drive and just let the HP tool configure it as a boot drive, then added manually the memtest executable file, everything worked fine - just as you said it would.
    Thats what I did and why as well! The Full files will boot and work properly in DOS for flashing BIOS or anything else DOS related but something in there messes up memtest? I also tested Win98SE DOS files which have extras and had the same findings so it must just be a CD driver or something not needed that messes it up.

What kind of testing are you doing is what would matter? Since you just got it going, I would assume you have not tested this ram before/yet?

I always test New ram for a while to be sure it is not DOA, test at stock timings, speed and Set voltages with one stick at a time otherwise you wont know which is causing the errors if any. A good few hours is suggested, overnight if you have the time.

When testing ram for tweaking timings, I will run test #2 and #5 for a half hour or so of each between moves, and longer after a few or many moves, and when I thin it is good and stable and where I want the timings I will let 2 and 5 run for several hours each, then a few hours of full tests

To run Tests by number see here (Post #2) >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/memo...vs-bios-27283/

I would tweak the subtimings, but if you do not have time or patience you can try turbo (Which is only suggested with NO overclock and no subtimings set) or you can at least set the Static tRead Value as low as you can make it stable.

Good luck with things, and please post back if you need more help or want some other suggestions for timings.

Thanks for your kind words, that is why I am here... To Help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information