Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP35-DS3R cannot run stable w/ G.SKILL 8GB @ 1066

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3R cannot run stable w/ G.SKILL 8GB @ 1066

Updated with timings/info for ya.

Anytime, thats why I am here! Try to help fast when I am around, I know how bad it sucks to wait on something like this!

Thanks! I'm going to reboot into memtest86 now and give it a try!

Good luck, I will see you later I am on my out the door

I'm running with a voltage of 2.0V with the +0.2V adjustment.
    Is that reported as 2 volts on the PC Health screen of the bios?

Lsdmeasap: I tried to apply all of the least aggressive settings that you suggested in the BIOS, but my computer reboots twice when I try to apply them. After the second boot when I go in the BIOS I see that the memory settings have automatically switched from Manual back to Auto, so I guess it did not take the settings. Here's what I tried:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 5 (May need at lest 4 or 5 for 8GB)
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 12 (May need 8-12 for 8GB)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________14 (May need 8-14 for 8GB)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 75

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 8
    Static tRead Value_______________ 12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto << I had set 1 there because that is what the G.SKILL document showed in the PDF file I linked to in my first post, but I set it back to Auto like you suggested.

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

Like I said, it switches back to Auto for the memory timings, although the voltages are left on manual. I assume it's not taking the memory timings for some reason. memtest86+ is reporting timings of 5-7-7-20 on Auto, rather than the 5-5-5-15 I set manually.

VorLonUK: I'm not sure. I didn't check the PC Health screen. I was assuming that DDR2-800 is 1.8V so adding 0.2-0.3V would give 2.0-2.1V. Next time I reboot I'll double-check that.

Actually, even with the memory settings set to Auto memtest86+ has run for over 35 minutes now without any errors. This is much better than before. The voltage adjustments must have helped a lot. We'll see how long it can go for.

Yes, depending on what your ram spec voltage is it will for sure likely need to be manually set, and that would be why it would fail to keep timings if it was left in Auto or set too low. I would be for sure using 2.1 for 8GB since that is what the manual says and if the sticker says that as well then use it.

Please look at the sticker on the ram and be sure what it should be set to, as online specs and Manual/PDF's can often differ then what each stick may have been rated atso just check to be sure. And check the health section as said by VorLonUK as it may be lower then what you set, and manually adjust if it is

And just so you are clear on what that PDF says, it shows a Setting of AUTO for Static tRead Phase Adjust (tRD Phase Ajustment) not a setting of 1. 1 is shown as the Value in Auto (Which is also ONLY shown on one of those images), which like I said always changes.

Just wanted to point out to you that it was indeed AUTO suggested for that and not 1, see the other GA images, they all show Auto as well, with 0 For the Auto Value. Just meaning no one ever set a value or changed anything.

VorLonUK: I'm not sure. I didn't check the PC Health screen. I was assuming that DDR2-800 is 1.8V so adding 0.2-0.3V would give 2.0-2.1V. Next time I reboot I'll double-check that.
    Without checking with my DVM and having "some" faith in the bios reporting, I get the following results.

DDR2 Normal = 1.840 volts
    + 0.1 = 1.840 volts!
    + 0.2 = 1.900 volts

Notes on Voltages:-

I have also checked the First "trigger" point where if the voltages are set to Auto and where and when those voltages increase from base during your overclocking.

@ 342Mhz (as opposed to 333 default)

Ram and CPU stay at base voltages, ie 1.840Volts for DDR2 and 1.204volts for my E8200.

Incrementing and Reaching:-
    @ 344Mhz

Ram climbs to 1.984volts and E8200 to 1.220volts.

It's interesting to see that the Ram Voltage Increment is not that subtle, especially as the overclock is minor.

Voltages checked on the PCHealth screen after setting reboot. Might be worth you checking to see whats reported and IF setting your voltages to auto make any accomodation for the amount of Ram you are using?

Lsdmeasap: Oh, you are right. I missed that in the screenshot. I have it set to auto now. memtest86+ has run for 2 1/2 hours and completed 1 pass with no errors so far at 1066. It's looking good. It appears the voltage adjustments you suggested were the only changes I needed. The memory works fine with the timings set to auto.

VorLonUK: Thanks. I will definitely check the voltages when I reboot from my memtest86+ run. I didn't realize they could vary so much based on the FSB speed and other factors. I need to make sure the voltage for the RAM is running between 2.0-2.1V since that is what G.SKILL says to run for 1066 operation. Maybe this was the cause of my problems?

Thanks both of you for all your help! It looks like I'm stable @ 1066 w/ 8GB now! I'll probably leave memtest86+ running for another few hours just to make extra sure.

Yes, the ram may work fine all in AUTO, but it FOR SURE Will not perform at it's best. But if you don't have the time to mess with it or dont care you can leave it like that.

It usually takes way longer then expected to find the Perfect settings, and with 8GB I have no doubt it would take a minute or two for me to even get them stable before I started tweaking things

Good luck in your testing, Ill see ya tonight

Ugh! Unfortunately when I came back after memtest86+ had been running for 4 1/2 hours there were 7 errors. I guess I'm going to have to go back to seeing what I can tweak using the suggestions you gave.

I did check in PC Health and the voltage of RAM when I have +0.2V is 2.00V and when I run +0.3V it shows 2.112V. I'm going to keep it at +0.3V for now even though it is slightly over the 2.0-2.1V range printed on the label on the memory.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information