Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP35-DS3R cannot run stable w/ G.SKILL 8GB @ 1066

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3R cannot run stable w/ G.SKILL 8GB @ 1066

Quote Originally Posted by eblau View Post
    Ugh! Unfortunately when I came back after memtest86+ had been running for 4 1/2 hours there were 7 errors. I guess I'm going to have to go back to seeing what I can tweak using the suggestions you gave.

I did check in PC Health and the voltage of RAM when I have +0.2V is 2.00V and when I run +0.3V it shows 2.112V. I'm going to keep it at +0.3V for now even though it is slightly over the 2.0-2.1V range printed on the label on the memory.
    Keeping everything else the same and I'm assuming you've set the main timing (looking back through the thread) to 5-5-5-15, could you try setting it to 5-5-5-18 and running memtest again.

The 12mv overvoltage is fine and would be covered by the usual 5% margin of error.

Edit:-

Just re-read this thread again and something struck a chord after reading many posts on the OCZ forum and something I've noted in the past. I believe you added another 4GB of Ram to your original GSkill Purchase, ie now totalling 8GB. However, as probably with most Memory "Manufacturers" (bar the likes of Crucial, who make their own- ie Micron), memory chips are sourced from different companies and batches even one's designated for the exact same product. The biggest affect on you possibly having different makes of "chip" or versions of the same chip increase as the time between purchases increases.

ie you are more likely if you say buy 2 packs of 4GB kits from the same store at the same time to have a same sourced chip "set" accross the whole 8GB's. Whereas space those into two purchases spaced 6 months apart, it is possible you'll have a mismatch although a Retail Identical product.

I only know of one company that will attempt to match like for like and that's Crucial as it is the Retail divison of Micron, the company that actually makes the chips too - Not just fabricates DDR PCB's with sourced Chips, as most of all the popular memory makes do.

So to cut a long story short, you may find it very diificult to get your memory to run with stability (at Full speed) if those two lots of 4GB are from different sources/batches/revision or even make, albeit under the GSkill name, same model etc.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-21-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great thinking! Wonder how old they actually are apart? eblau, you can check with CPU-z or everest for manufacturer date, and then if you like call And ask

Just another note, some companies don't enter the manufacture date into the SPD data either, OCZ being one of them. I have a link to this somewhere (in regard to OCZ). You'll note utilities such as CPU-z, PCWizard etc will show the programs minimum date, such as 1999/2000 when the SPD data on newish memory hasn't been programmed in.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

VorLonUK: Thanks for the information. You are right. I bought these sets 6 months apart and they are almost certainly from different batches. I've given up on this. I'm returning the 4GB set to Newegg. I've tried a bunch of different BIOS settings, but none run stable at 1066. I'm going to stick with 4GB @ 1066 if I can't get 8GB to run at this speed.

Thanks to you and Lsdmeasap for all your help!

BTW, G.SKILL has a big disclaimer in big red bold letters on their web page for this memory stating that it is only rated at 1066 with 2 sticks and not with 4. (!!)

Quote Originally Posted by eblau View Post
    VorLonUK: Thanks for the information. You are right. I bought these sets 6 months apart and they are almost certainly from different batches. I've given up on this. I'm returning the 4GB set to Newegg. I've tried a bunch of different BIOS settings, but none run stable at 1066. I'm going to stick with 4GB @ 1066 if I can't get 8GB to run at this speed.

Thanks to you and Lsdmeasap for all your help!

BTW, G.SKILL has a big disclaimer in big red bold letters on their web page for this memory stating that it is only rated at 1066 with 2 sticks and not with 4. (!!)
    Interesting about the disclaimer....

I still think you would have a lot more luck if you had fully matched Ram. It is likely you are having to juggle two batches/makes/revisions of the "same" memory product so that they might work at a high performance level , ie 1066Mhz.

I'm just disappointed that Gigabyte advertises this motherboard as being able to support DDR2-1200 and G.SKILL advertises the memory I got as being able to do DDR2-1066. There are no disclaimers of any kind on the packaging.

G.SKILL has one disclaimer about the memory only being rated at DDR2-1066 on their web site buried at the very end of the product page here:

DDR2

It's a shame that the Gigabyte board is so unstable it cannot do 8GB at DDR2-1066 much less 8GB DDR2-1200.

It's a shame that the Gigabyte board is so unstable it cannot do 8GB at DDR2-1066 much less 8GB DDR2-1200.
    I don't think that is neccessarily true, although i can fully understand your frustration about this.
    This is one of the reasons most (if not all) motherboard manufacturers produce memory QVL lists and we mainly ignore them!

Plus it's back to that point - is ALL your memory ie the actual chips all of the same make/type/revision/model etc?
    If they are, then in theory (other than the limitations imposed by Gskill, ie the small print) they should work.

But looking on other forums such as OCZ and Corsair, the higher the density of module, then in general the greater the problems, especially when it comes to high speed and/or overclocking.

It has been suggested that as the P35 chipset is not a high end chipset, that boards manufacured utilising it might not be quite as stable in regard to things like the usage of high memory density and amount, when compared to say the high end expensive chipsets/boards.

I've also noted that according to OCZ my modules have used THREE types of chips so far during their marketing life. So now mine are around 6 months old, it has been suggested by OCZ that if I wanted to go for 8GB, that I bought something new and at the same time, rather than buying another 4GB of what i already have, regardless that it is still a current product!

Maybe the Memory Module manufacturers should be a lot more consistent with the sourcing and build of their products? Or would that force up memory prices?
    And talking about prices, i found an old invoice for almost 400 ($700) from years ago for 8MB (megabyte) of ram which I bought for an VIP board (Vesa, ISA, PCI hybrid) in the 90's. So in reality, although it can be a pain in the ****, RAM is at an excellent price these days - so should we expect some hassle, especially when it comes to self builds?

Alternatively you could buy from someone like Crucial who I know are happy to help in matching memory up - although they are in the almost unique position of making their own chips and are best placed to match newer sets of Ram modules with older ones.

EDIT:-

I thought PAGE 2 of this document you previously linked to was interesting:-
    http://www.gskill.us/166.pdf

Reference 2 or 4 Dimms for your particular motherboard.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-22-2008 at 08:23 AM.

The G.Skills are highly binned is why they may not work at 1066 with 8GB, they are already the cheapest 800Mhz IC's/modules they could find and test that would run at 1066

Mushkin 8GB would do 1066 no problems

That's a shame. I thought G.SKILL had a good name. They are recommended by some of the moderators here as being a good source. I guess my only option if I want to run 8GB at 1066 is to get rid of the 4GB I have and buy 8GB from Mushkin or Crucial.

Not crucial!

Mushkin ya, And that comment was a General "Maybe this is why" thing, 8GB of Gskil comment was made by G.Skill themselves

I think with proper settings 8GB of G.Skill would run 1066 for sure and I think I have helped users to do so. But maybe not with these particular sticks since you are having such a issue here with these

But they do also sell many Models, and some are more cheap then others. Which model do you have anyway? Does it end in a K?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information