Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Vista SATA driver install

Default Vista SATA driver install

I have ordered a ga-ep35-ds3r mb, and I want to install Vista home premium
    on a WD 500 GB SATA HD. I have read on different forums that if I want to enable the ACHI capability of the HD, I need to install the proper ICH9R drivers at the beginning of Vista install so that the HD will be recognized. I have seen the MB manual for this MB on the Gigabyte site, and it only mentions loading the drivers on a floppy; but I have also read that Vista will allow the drivers to be installed from an optical disk or a flash drive. I would much prefer a flash drive, so my question is: can I just get the driver from the Gigabyte web site and extract it onto a flash drive? How should the drive be formatted? Is there a specific procedure?
    Also, I purchased an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium SP1, and on the box it states that an OEM Preinstallation kit must be installed. Does this appy to me, or do I just open the box and use the CD/DVD?
    Thanks, Shawnee

Default Re: Vista SATA driver install

Quote Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
    I have ordered a ga-ep35-ds3r mb, and I want to install Vista home premium
    on a WD 500 GB SATA HD. I have read on different forums that if I want to enable the ACHI capability of the HD, I need to install the proper ICH9R drivers at the beginning of Vista install so that the HD will be recognized. I have seen the MB manual for this MB on the Gigabyte site, and it only mentions loading the drivers on a floppy; but I have also read that Vista will allow the drivers to be installed from an optical disk or a flash drive. I would much prefer a flash drive, so my question is: can I just get the driver from the Gigabyte web site and extract it onto a flash drive? How should the drive be formatted? Is there a specific procedure?
    Also, I purchased an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium SP1, and on the box it states that an OEM Preinstallation kit must be installed. Does this appy to me, or do I just open the box and use the CD/DVD?
    Thanks, Shawnee
    You don't need to make any preparations before you Install Vista. Vista has a generic AHCI driver which will be installed by Vista if it sees the bios has been AHCI enabled.

After the Vista install, first install the Intel Chipset driver (aka INF file) and then if you wish the Intel Matrix Storage manager, which will update/overwrite the Microsoft AHCI driver with Intel's own. It also installs the Intel Matrix storage manager along with the Intel AHCI driver which allows you to monitor the drives etc.

The "Old" F6 method for installing the Intel AHCI driver from the outset(rather than the MS VISTA one) is still possible, however it really isn't neccessary and certainly not mandatory as it was with previous Windows versions.

Also, I purchased an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium SP1, and on the box it states that an OEM Preinstallation kit must be installed.
    I have the same version of Vista as you, although it's not SP1 and it's 64bit. I've just checked over the DVD case it came in (OEM) and I can't find any reference to Preinstallation kits. Mine is OEM and purchased here in the UK.

Edit:-
    After Vista is installed with AHCI enabled in the bios..

1) Install Intel Inf update utility (chipset driver). Latest Version = 9.0.0.1008 from Intel. Older version on Gigabyte site, which is fine for the 3 series chipset, although many of the Intel updates address Vista issues.

2) Install Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager. Latest version = 8.5.0.1032
    Note FutureMark's 3DMark Vantage has problems with the 8 series, ie 8.x.x.xxxx of Matrix Storage manager drivers. This series though does address more Vista/raid bugs. So at present you'll have to weigh up your priorities in choosing which driver to use.

If you use 3dmark Vantage (as i do) use one of the later versions of the series 7 Matrix Storage manager, such as 7.6.0.1011. I've had no problems with these and Vista 64 although they are technically "old" and don't address all the latest specific bugs.

3) You now can check the status of your drives through the Intel matrix Console.

4) Note some utilities won't report S.M.A.R.T. Data on the primary drive with AHCI enabled, such as HD tune. Newer programs that can report HD data such as PCWizard from CPUID can see all the relevant SMART data on an AHCI enabled PC.

If you want to use the Uneccessary F6 method (Vista), here is the Intel link:-
    IntelĀ® 3 Series ChipsetsĀ*32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility
    Quote from the link:-
    The F6 installation method is not required for Microsoft Windows Vista*.
    *Link via Intel UK page, although I believe it's the same as US.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-20-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: OP PM

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Vista SATA driver install

You can also just extract the Driver from the CD and put it on a USB stick for F6 (Which vista would be the "Load Driver" button)

The driver you want is located on the CD in the following folder >>>
    Root:\BootDrv\msm32.exe (msm64.exe for 64bit)

Just copy that to your desktop and extract it, it is a Self extracting file. Then put those files in a folder and stick on your USB, when vista install shows the disk screen use the Load driver button and browse to your USB. *NOTE* Legacy USB Storage Detect Must be enabled in the BIOS

As for your SP1 question, not sure what you mean. Is it a SP1 only disk, or a Full system with Sp1 on it already? If it is Just SP1 then you would have to install vista first, if it is a System Install disk with Sp1 then you would just use the DVD and install as normal. The OEM kit comment is for OEM System builders to install and setup certain things within vista for OEM users. Something you would not need to do

Thread Information