Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP35C-DS3R CPU Fan Control - Doesn't work?

Default EP35C-DS3R CPU Fan Control - Doesn't work?

Hi all, I hope someone can help!

I have the above board, running BIOS F4a.

Everything seems OK at the moment, apart from the CPU fan. It runs full whack all the time.

I've tried enabling and disabling the SMART Fan Control in the BIOS and it makes not a jot of difference. The other fans in my case are fine (bearly audible) but the stock Intel one is just too noisy!

I know I could go any buy a new cooler, but surely the stock item should work efficiently on this board?

The idle CPU temp (from Easy Tuner 5 Pro Hardware Monitor) is 30 deg C. System temp is 60 deg C.

I've tried adjusting the fans in Easy Tuner, but this made no difference, I've tried SmartFan and that didn't change anything either.

I'd like to stay away from changing the BIOS if possible (unless it's a known issue), because when I updated it this time, it destroyed my RAID and resulted in a complete reinstall (what happened to BIOS updates saving your current settings?).

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP35C-DS3R CPU Fan Control - Doesn't work?

First off, What CPU is this? Intel stock fans are pretty junky I would say, not so junky really but poor coolers for sure.

Is this intel fan a 4 pin or 3 pin?

For 4 pin your should use >>>

Smart Fan Control Method ............ Auto or Intel QST (Driver Required) or Legacy
    Smart Fan Control Mode .................. Auto or PWM

For 3 pin you should use >>>
    Smart Fan Control Method ............ Legacy
    Smart Fan Control Mode ..................Voltage

CPU temp is not what you need to worry about, but Core temp's of your CPU, which you need CoreTemp or RealTemp to monitor, or Everest latest Version.

Your System Temps seems rather high for sure, this is your NB

When you flash a BIOS and Load and apply optimized defaults and reboot (This is a Necessary step), you HAVE to BEFORE loading windows go back to the BIOS and make your Disk changes again in advanced BIOS Settings page.

When you flash, load optimized and reboot the CMOS is cleared to make way for the proper default settings of the new BIOS. This has to be done, and it is what clears your settings, and thus likely your RAID Array crashed because you started windows without first making your disk changes again.

So, now you know and should remember so you wont kill your RAID array again. Do not worry that it is the BIOS flashing that did it to you, just what was said above. So if you always remember then you wont have anymore issues.

I have that mobo with Zalman cooler (four wires).
    Its speed varies automatically from 2000 (idle) to 2800 rpm (60 Celsius). So it works and very well.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Which BIOS SVC? I would also suggest to the OP to not use a beta unless his CPU makes him

It's a Q6600.

The only option for the fan controller in the BIOS is Enable or Disable.

Core temps (from SpeedFan): 40, 39, 40, 37

Temps look ok, Can you post a Pic of the BIOS section?

Have you tried the Control + F1 hotkey on the MAIN page of the BIOS and then go into that section?

Have you tried older BIOS's? I know some had some fan options removed as CPU's Heatsinks were updated to PWM I guess?

Hi,

Have gone back to F3 (and kept settings, I guess it because I used @BIOS the first time, I've since seen your thoughts on that!!)

The SMART fan control is the same as F4A (and F2) where it's either on or off.

When it's enabled, it still doesn't slow down the fan. I'll try get get a screenie later for you.

Thanks for your help.

So it is gone from F2-F4a?

Hmm, very odd. What does your manual show?

Are you willing to flash again? If so, try F1 and see if it is also the same

You are loading optimized defaults, saving and applying and rebooting before making changes right? IF not you are not properly flashing so that could be why.

*NOTE*
    If you are using RAID, BE SURE you go back to the BIOS and not windows after you load optimized, save and apply and reboot. You have to go back in and make your disk changes again or you will loose you RAID.

As said above, HAHA Just noticed
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-21-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Hi,

It's definately running F3 now.

Manual simply shows exactly as the BIOS:

CPU Smart Fan Control

Nothing under it in blue (that can be enabled).

Only options in manual are Enable and Disable.

I'm guessing that as the manual only shows these options, F1 would be the same.

CTRL+F1 doesn't enable any other options.

Hmm, very strange! Must have been removed in the EP models!

Sounds like you will either HAVE to get a 4pin PWM cooler or get a fan controller then. A better cooler then stock would be great anyway, run cooler and quieter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information