Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3L Electrical Noise

Default GA-EP45-DS3L Electrical Noise

I have been working on this issue for a while now and its driving me crazy. Basically the motherboard is generating a buzzing noise that seems like electrical interference. My GPU was also doing the same thing. I have pulled my 9600GT and am waiting on an ati card. I am currently using a older 7900GT but there is still noise coming from the mobo.

I have tried tweaking the bios and have my Q6600 CPU underclocked. The issue seems to get worse if I try to OC. This is the first time I have ever had issues like this. I have tried a new PSU and it did not fix it.

I don't like the idea of an RMA becasue I have gone through 2 different mobos (first one was ASRock), 2 PSU's, am wating on my 3rd GPU and have Rma'ed 2 HDD's and a stick of ram. I have built quite a few computers and have been working on them for over 10 years as a hobby and a job and have never expierenced the hell this build has caused.

Here is one thought that I would like to run by you all. I am using a metal backplate to support my cooler but I did not peel off the film over the sticky tape incase I needed to RMA etc. but the tape still acts as a buffer for the center of the bracket. What if one of the metal corners is touching the board though...would that just gound it and cause it to not post or could it cause strange problems?

Thanks,
    Jacc1234

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3L Electrical Noise

Quote Originally Posted by jacc1234 View Post
    I have been working on this issue for a while now and its driving me crazy. Basically the motherboard is generating a buzzing noise that seems like electrical interference. My GPU was also doing the same thing. I have pulled my 9600GT and am waiting on an ati card. I am currently using a older 7900GT but there is still noise coming from the mobo.

I have tried tweaking the bios and have my Q6600 CPU underclocked. The issue seems to get worse if I try to OC. This is the first time I have ever had issues like this. I have tried a new PSU and it did not fix it.

I don't like the idea of an RMA becasue I have gone through 2 different mobos (first one was ASRock), 2 PSU's, am wating on my 3rd GPU and have Rma'ed 2 HDD's and a stick of ram. I have built quite a few computers and have been working on them for over 10 years as a hobby and a job and have never expierenced the hell this build has caused.

Here is one thought that I would like to run by you all. I am using a metal backplate to support my cooler but I did not peel off the film over the sticky tape incase I needed to RMA etc. but the tape still acts as a buffer for the center of the bracket. What if one of the metal corners is touching the board though...would that just gound it and cause it to not post or could it cause strange problems?

Thanks,
    Jacc1234
    When you say electrical noise, do you mean electro-mechanical noise coming from the Board, rather than noise through your speakers or PC speaker?

If it is electro-mechanical noise, please see this post of mine:-
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...29/#post260178

I am concerned though you have got through so many components already. That suggests to me that your Mains power is not clean and you suffer with "Brown Outs". If that is the case, you really need something like an APC Line-R or even a UPS.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-22-2008 at 12:33 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, I would be checking your PSU first. Also do you have a sound card or are you using the onboard?

If it is a soundcard try moving it to a further slot from the GFX card, this can often help

I have a 800w UPS on the way. I was thinking power as well. I have tried 2 psu's and it really seems like the sound is coming from the board. I really hope its my power and the UPS fixes it because I am tired of taking this system apart. I am using a Antec P182 Case and although its great once setup its kind of a pain to work in.

The noise is coming from my board not the speakers. I have observed a bit more and have some more info. When I am doing a CPU intensive task the noise stops almost completely. I can still hear it once and a while but overall its about 90% less. A good example is Folding@home. Once I turn on the client and it starts crunching numbers the noise goes away. Its really odd. Could my CPU make noise at all? I can't see that happening but I really dont know.

Thanks for all the help.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Na, it would be caps on the board likely not the CPU itself. Or something else on the board.

Are you SURE it is not a strange sound from your fan at slow speeds? I ask because your thoughts just made me think of a post I had saw before where the users fan made strange noise but only so noticeable at Idle

try lowering the voltage on your CPU (vcore) in the BIOS... it sounds like yo might just be getting a bit of resonation a a magnetised part of your board
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Quote Originally Posted by jacc1234 View Post
    I have a 800w UPS on the way. I was thinking power as well. I have tried 2 psu's and it really seems like the sound is coming from the board. I really hope its my power and the UPS fixes it because I am tired of taking this system apart. I am using a Antec P182 Case and although its great once setup its kind of a pain to work in.

The noise is coming from my board not the speakers. I have observed a bit more and have some more info. When I am doing a CPU intensive task the noise stops almost completely. I can still hear it once and a while but overall its about 90% less. A good example is Folding@home. Once I turn on the client and it starts crunching numbers the noise goes away. Its really odd. Could my CPU make noise at all? I can't see that happening but I really dont know.

Thanks for all the help.

As per my link (below and further above this post too), this is why you get the noise. The response below was about Motherboard/Graphics card and loading. The same applies though with just CPU loading vs motherboard noise.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...29/#post260178

As for the noise, it is most likely an inductor either on the motherboard or on the graphics card making the noise. I've had to "lock" inductors before with Varnish or epoxy glue.

To check for the area of noise. If you have a graphics card with a seperate power plug, the inductors attached to that can make a noise as the screen changes, say from 2d to 3d. Or on motherboards the power inductors are commonly either around the CPU VRM or near to the atx 12 volt 4/8 pin plug.

If it's not a case speaker making the noise, it's likely either one of these inductors, on the Motherboard, graphics card or within the Power supply.

What usually happens is that the inductor (coils of wire) "ring" in symapthy with the frequencies they are there to iron out. It's only when the coils haven't been locked with varnish etc, or aren't as tight as they could be that the ringing in certain situations ie different loads can be heard. The type of inductor used on a motherboard usually consists of (for instance) a dozen turns of thick gauge copper on a ferrite core. Some of the newer types are sealed, which helps prevent noise.

Basically when ANY certain specific scenario is recreated, ie when the Power Supply, Motherboard and Graphics card etc are creating/supporting a specific current load then one of these Inductors can/may "ring". So much so, that you'll always know instinctively as to when it will do it.

My GA-P35C-DS3R/GTS 8800 512 does it when going between modes in one test in 3d Vantage - it is ultra specific.
    I have other makes of boards that do it too.

On an older board a constant ringing ie far less specific could be down to an electrolytic capacitor that has gone faulty, ie leaked or gone completely O/C, but that is usually a sympton of age.

If your board/setup doesn't do it all the time and you can more or less predict/know when it will do it, then I would say that would be normal and just one of those electronic things that can and does happen.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-23-2008 at 08:52 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thread Information