Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X45-DQ6 fan header question...

Question X45-DQ6 fan header question...

Can someone with a DQ6 tell me whether the SysFan2 4-pin header can be configured to support PWM fans? Want to set up a complex cooling system w/Artic 'daisy-chain' PWM fans, but GB tech support can't seem to get back to me. Can't figure it out from the manual, but also can't figure out what else a 4-pin header would be for...

Here's what's confusing me - manual lists:

CPU_FAN
    Pin 1 - GND
    Pin 2 - +12V/Speed Control
    Pin 3 - Sense
    Pin 4 - Speed Control

SYS_FAN2
    Pin 1 - GND
    Pin 2 - Speed Control
    Pin 3 - Sense
    Pin 4 - +5V

PWM specs put PWM signal itself on pin 4, but can't make heads or tails of Gigabyte's +5V on pin 4... Might it just lock the PWM (which IS a 5V signal) dead ON?

Thanks,
    Bill<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X45-DQ6 fan header question...

PWM is CPU only normally, but looking at the manual it does seem sys_fan2 may be also PWM but at a lesser value then CPU?

I do know lot of previous Models had Sys_fan2 issues, you may need to Just use a fan controller for that whole daisy chain.

Have you actually hooked up a fan to this header and checked how it reacts with a PWM fan? Like it is slower then it is when hooked up to 3pin header (Test with Fan control off and on)

Then again, it could all be a misprint. Hopefully gigabyte Tech support will get back to you soon and let everyone know as I am sure you are not the first to wonder

We did a lot of tests here with our board and found the following:

CPU_FAN
    connector needs a CPU cooler with four wires were the PWM modulator is included in the cooler. The mobo senses the CPU temperature and managing the pin 4 signal, the cooler's fan will automatically be increased or decreased, following the CPU temp. Fan's rotation feedback returns via pin 3 for BIOS alarm feature.

SYS_FAN2
    connector needs any fan, with three or four wires (don't care) since the speed is controlled via on-board PWM controller that supply pulse-width-modulated 12v for the fan via pin 2.
    So, if using a four wire fan, its internal PWM is locked to full speed (this explain that fixed 5v on pin 4).
    This time, the mobo senses the North Bridge (in my case the P35) temperature and will increase or decrease the speed of the fan connected in this socket. Feedback is sent to pin 3 for BIOS alarm purposes.

SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN are three pin socket with fixed full speed fan. No controlled rotation at all from the mobo. Rotation feedback also monitored via pin 3 only for BIOS alarm purpose.
    Last edited by svcglobal; 09-23-2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added more info
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Thanks ever so much for getting back to me SO quick with ACTUAL technical information - my experience with forums has generally been: great source of creative misspellings and endless repetition of vague rumors, not so good for quantitative info... Still see numerous complaints from drive buyers who whine about 'diminished capacity' (perhaps, of the user? ;) and can't seem to comprehend that to a manufacturer, a gig is 10 to the 9th, but to an OS it's 2 to the 30th; 10 to the 9th divided by 2 to the 30th is ~.931, which is 'what you gets' BEFORE formatting overhead!
    Here's what I'm up to:
    Am trying to design a four monitor electrical controls (PLC, MMI, & h’ware design) engineering workstation with parts the gamers have gone past, & are therefore reasonably priced for their performance. So far, the GA-X45-DQ6 looks like the mboard to beat - I need an extra SATA controller as I want three RAID pairs (2 pairs of RAID0 WD Velociraptors [for OS's, & swaps], & a pair of 1TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID1 for data...), the ICH9R/ICH10R southbridges only support four drives worth of RAID, I don't want to dump ~$400 on a h'ware RAID controller, & the nearest competitor (Asus's P5Q Pro) uses (though it DOES have the newer ICH10R) some off-the-wall secondary SATA controller I've never heard of...
    Artic Cooling has a line of 'daisy-chainable' PWM fans that share the PWM signal. I bought an AC Freezer7Pro for the CPU PWM channel, lapped it, & yanked the fan to replace it with one of the 'daisy' 92mm fans; then intend to buy a CoolitSystems RAMfan (which, from all reviews, comes with a really crummy fan), yank its fan, & put a CoolJAG 60mm PWM fan plugged into the end of the chain, [& may put an AC 80mm into the middle of the chain, if I can figure out a way to mount it to the northbridge] as I figure the heat loading on the CPU, the memory, and the northbridge (containing the memory controller) SHOULD pretty much track each other in heat loading...
    Want to shove it all into a CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case, with 4 120mm circulating fans, & a 120 ‘puller’ which ventilates the HD cage: would like to run the circulating fans off one channel, & the drive fan off another. Only fan controller I can find (Zalman MFC2) which supports PWM at all only has one PWM channel, & some reviewers cite ‘fan revving’ problems with the other channels – I suspect feedback loop oscillation/instability due to relative amplitude of feedback vs. actual RPM (but TRY to collect some actual data) AND sucks up a drive bay I’d rather not sacrifice, but can’t see a way around it…
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again for the info – wish me luck!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Good luck with all that man, sounds like a plan!

And thanks svcglobal!

Great detailed info for sure!

Thank you Lsdmeasap.

@ bilbat
    Good luck with you project. I remember that in the past 80's we must own or rent a giant mainframe from Digital (PDP-11 in my case) or Unisys (A9-BR) in order to do so high intensive CPU projects. Now, with inexpensive mobos that job can be done with same or much better results.
    BTW, Unisys is still there but Digital was acquired by HP.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Thread Information