Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with my GA-EP35C-DS3R some

Default Problem with my GA-EP35C-DS3R some

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi this is my first post in this forum

I have had the motherboard for about 2 months but have only been using it for about a month. The fault seems to be an intermittent one which happens a couple of times a week. After about a week of having the motherboard when I boot the PC, sometimes it starts to boot without posting and I am unable to reach bios or windows. Also the hard drive light flashes as if it’s loading windows, the monitor fails to detect graphics card and when it dose boot up and can get in to the bios, quite often the PC will reboot in the middle of looking at the bios setup or just after I have changed a setting and then it will ether show the post screen with the memory test and CPU speeds, but not go as far as checking for hard drives and CD/DVD drives and reboot again and seem to be stuck in a boot cycle. Till it ether looks like it is loading windows, but the monitor dose not detected the graphics card and so the screen is blank and I have to restart the PC again or it actually loads up Windows.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Most often this happens after I have been in the Bios and most of the cashes happen when I’m in the Bios, even when I have not changed any thing. This first happened when I changed the Ram timings, as the motherboard had detected the wrong timings and voltage.
    It has also crashed while my wife was opening an email and once when I had been playing Battlefield 2 for about 3 hours. But some times like this weekend, I played <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Battle</st1:place></st1:city> field 2 for about 4 hours none stop with out any problems at all.
    I have reset the bios to factory setting and also tried manually setting up my ram setting and upping the voltage of my ram. I have also tried to set as many options as I can to standard and turn off performance settings. I have also taken the memory out and put it back in again and also done the same with the graphics card, but the problem is still happening. I have even updating the bios to F3 which is the latest.

I have also looked on some forums and read this is quite a common problem with these boards. I have also tested my memory which I purchased with the motherboard, by running the latest version of memtest 86+ and it found no problems with the memory.
    Also after I have had problems with booting up, if I leave the PC turned off for a couple of hours, it will start up ok as if nothing has happen. Till it decides to do it all again, but 80% of the time the PC starts up OK and runs fine.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    Anyone have any idea's what the problem could be?
    <!--[endif]-->
    This is my current system spec
    GA-EP35C-DS3R<o:p></o:p>
    Q9550 with a Artic Freezer 7 Pro<o:p></o:p>
    4GB Corsair 6400 XMS2 DHX (Timings 4 -4 -4 -12 at 2.1v which I have manually set in the bios)<o:p></o:p>
    HIS 3870 X2<o:p></o:p>
    X-Fi Xtreme Gamer<o:p></o:p>
    OCZ GameXStream 700w<o:p></o:p>
    500GB Seagate HD<o:p></o:p>
    Last edited by w00dy; 09-23-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Default Re: Problem with my GA-EP35C-DS3R some

Quote Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
    <o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi this is my first post in this forum

I have had the motherboard for about 2 months but have only been using it for about a month. The fault seems to be an intermittent one which happens a couple of times a week. After about a week of having the motherboard when I boot the PC, sometimes it starts to boot without posting and I am unable to reach bios or windows. Also the hard drive light flashes as if it’s loading windows, the monitor fails to detect graphics card and when it dose boot up and can get in to the bios, quite often the PC will reboot in the middle of looking at the bios setup or just after I have changed a setting and then it will ether show the post screen with the memory test and CPU speeds, but not go as far as checking for hard drives and CD/DVD drives and reboot again and seem to be stuck in a boot cycle. Till it ether looks like it is loading windows, but the monitor dose not detected the graphics card and so the screen is blank and I have to restart the PC again or it actually loads up Windows.
    Most often this happens after I have been in the Bios and most of the cashes happen when I’m in the Bios, even when I have not changed any thing. This first happened when I changed the Ram timings, as the motherboard had detected the wrong timings and voltage.
    It has also crashed while my wife was opening an email and once when I had been playing Battlefield 2 for about 3 hours. But some times like this weekend, I played <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Battle</st1:place></st1:city> field 2 for about 4 hours none stop with out any problems at all.
    I have reset the bios to factory setting and also tried manually setting up my ram setting and upping the voltage of my ram. I have also tried to set as many options as I can to standard and turn off performance settings. I have also taken the memory out and put it back in again and also done the same with the graphics card, but the problem is still happening. I have even updating the bios to F3 which is the latest.

I have also looked on some forums and read this is quite a common problem with these boards. I have also tested my memory which I purchased with the motherboard, by running the latest version of memtest 86+ and it found no problems with the memory.
    Also after I have had problems with booting up, if I leave the PC turned off for a couple of hours, it will start up ok as if nothing has happen. Till it decides to do it all again, but 80% of the time the PC starts up OK and runs fine.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    Anyone have any idea's what the problem could be?
    <!--[endif]-->
    This is my current system spec
    GA-EP35C-DS3R<o:p></o:p>
    Q9550 with a Artic Freezer 7 Pro<o:p></o:p>
    4GB Corsair 6400 XMS2 DHX (Timings 4 -4 -4 -12 at 2.1v which I have manually set in the bios)<o:p></o:p>
    HIS 3870 X2<o:p></o:p>
    X-Fi Xtreme Gamer<o:p></o:p>
    OCZ GameXStream 700w<o:p></o:p>
    500GB Seagate HD<o:p></o:p>
    The guides at the top of the first page will help you set up the memory for stability.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/memo...vs-bios-27283/

Also what have you set your tRFC to in the bios memory options?
    Your timings are tight for 4GB and the voltage is probably higher than it need be.

You probably need to up the tRFC to 54 and drop the DDR voltage to 1.9-2.0volts, then run memtest.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-23-2008 at 06:15 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, it is all likely Memory and voltage settings, for 2x2GB you do have to manually add some MCH voltage as well.

Can you please post a link to the exact ram model you bought, and then post back what all settings you are using in the BIOS >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Also what have you set your tRFC to in the bios memory options?
    Your timings are tight for 4GB and the voltage is probably higher than it need be.

You probably need to up the tRFC to 54 and drop the DDR voltage to 1.9-2.0volts, then run memtest.
    I have not changed the setting for tRFC, so it should be set to Auto. The only timings I changed are the timings in standard timings control, I will look at the tRFC and see what it is set to .

Thanks for the link and I have downloaded memset.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, it is all likely Memory and voltage settings, for 2x2GB you do have to manually add some MCH voltage as well.

Can you please post a link to the exact ram model you bought, and then post back what all settings you are using in the BIOS >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]
    I am not at home at the moment, so can not look at the bios settings, but I will soon as I get home and post them for you. I am quite sure the PCI-E OverVoltage Control, FSB OverVoltage Control, (G)MCH OverVoltage Control are set to normal and DDR2 OverVoltage Control is set to+0.300V.

Here's a link for the ram I have
    http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/T...-6400C4DHX.pdf

Thanks you for your replies :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

K, Here is some settings for Q9550 at stock & 2x2GB 444-12 @800Mhz >>>

CPU Clock Ratio _____________[.5]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]

CAS Latency Time________________4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________3-6
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6 (May need 8-10)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________AUTO

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]<< For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - 0.15 - 0.2] << may need more, but not likely. Needed adjustment for 2x2GB

CPU Voltage Control_______

Thanks Lsdmeasap, I will try these settings when I get home.

I found the two most important settings when using 4GB of Ram to be:-

1) tRFC -> 54
    2) "Performace Enhance" -> Standard

I haven't had to manually raise a Single voltage even when setting the board up for a modest overclock.
    My general timings are not tight though at 5-5-5-18

Even when I pushed the Overclock further, 333 -> 365mhz I found i only needed to increase the DDR2 voltage by 0.2volts, keeping all other voltages at normal.

Voltages should only be raised towards their "ceilings" if all other tweaking/optimization fails..

More information on this subject.
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=40963
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-23-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

VorLonUK thanks for the article a very interesting read.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I am quite sure the Performace Enhance is already set to standard but will double check, when I change the bios settings tonight and look at the tRFC -> 54.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I did try a small over clock after I built the system, I tried running the Q9550 at 3GHz but it did not like it. Iím sure once I have the system stable I will try it again, as I would like to run it a 3GHz. Also I will look into the ram voltage settings once it is stable.

I have tried the setting below and the system still rebooted, half way through encoding my 3rd film, i was also surfing the net while it was doing this which I had not been doing while the other two had been encoding. Before this happened I had already encoding two other films with no problems at all and had just installed Crysis warhead and played it at the highest settings at resolution of 1680 x 1050 for about ten minutes with no problems at all.

Then I had the usual problems getting back into the bios and when I did it just rebooted while I was looking at these settings.<o:p></o:p>
    So I left the system for an hour and manged to get into the bios ok with out any reboots happening.
    CPU Clock Ratio _____________[.5]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
    CAS Latency Time________________4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________6
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ tried 5 and 8
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________tried 54 and 60
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6
    Static tRead Value_______________ tried 10 and 12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________AUTO

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ changed from normal to 1.25000V<o:p></o:p>

After I could get back into the system again I disabled the following functions and changed the CPU Voltage Control from normal to 1.25000V<o:p></o:p>,do you think this will help?<o:p></o:p>
    Legacy usb storage detect<o:p></o:p> - disabled
    HDD S.M.A.R.T capability<o:p></o:p> - disabled
    CPU EIST function - disabled

Without going too mad on voltage adjustment, did you try say relaxing the main memory settings to say 5-5-5-15 or even further to 5-5-5-18 just so you have a stability reference?

I've done that now and used the suggestion LSDme had written up about using F11 to save custom bios configurations.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information