Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ga-ep45-ds3r vdroop mod worked!!!!

Default Ga-ep45-ds3r vdroop mod worked!!!!

Finally got the guts to try the solder mod on my MOBO at first I was scared about it but I thought hmmm.... its just a board as long as my chip didn't get damange I'm good. Already have been through 4 chips to find good VID (anyone looking to buy a q6600 CPU let me know I got 3 extra lol VIDS on the them I think start at 1.325 <---bad ) Found a chip with nice vid and then the MOBO had such a bad vdroop I couldn't take it! I was going to try the pencil mod but was told there really wasn't a difference. Brought me a DMM and began listening to the people over from Xtreme forum and tested everything and WOW!!! I load Vcore in bios to 1.24 on cpu-z it shows 1.232 at load 1.232.

Total spent to do mod $103.12 don't be a idiot like me and buy a solder from walmart or a computer store go to radio shack!!! They have solders starting at 9.95. The resistor that I used is a turnable so fully adjustable its a 10k however I turned it down to 1k which If I'm correct was about 9 1/4 turns use a DMM to measure correct should rea about .97 to .98 if I'm correct ( I measured a 1k to make sure). Also make sure that when you cut the wire to mount the resistor onto the pins you have enough in lenght because at first the wire kept detaching itself from the pins (16 & 17 because too much movement.

Now I am very happy with my MOBO. Not only did this help but my cooling temps have lowered to idle 34c load 48c-49c on 3.6ghz Now I can push the chip to 3.8 maybe 4.0. I will go buy camera within next day or so and post shots as well after I get everything back into case.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Ga-ep45-ds3r vdroop mod worked!!!!

Nice! Ya post all the info and details on "How-To", with a image of the solder points. I get asked about this often for many boards. I have not looked up the P45 lately at XS, but I am a hidden member so if the image is there I will find it. But ya, please post all you can here for anyone who may ask I will link them to your guide

sounds like a pretty sweet mod... post the details and i might have a go at it for myself
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauntx View Post
    Now I am very happy with my MOBO. Not only did this help but my cooling temps have lowered to idle 34c load 48c-49c on 3.6ghz Now I can push the chip to 3.8 maybe 4.0. I will go buy camera within next day or so and post shots as well after I get everything back into case.
    What exactly did this mod help??? Have you been able to run the processor faster??? How much faster??? If so how can it be running cooler because of this mod when temps go up because of higher FSB MHz and/or more voltage???

Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    What exactly did this mod help??? Have you been able to run the processor faster??? How much faster??? If so how can it be running cooler because of this mod when temps go up because of higher FSB MHz and/or more voltage???
    Before I was using higher voltage (at 3.6GHz so my FSB didn't go up I'm still at 3.6 (read full thread 1st please and look in signature says what I was running at)because of my vdroop was horrible with this mod I was able to reduce voltage because without mod windows loaded with high voltage. Due to the vdroop the voltage would drop to like 1.346 at 100% load. Now this was done within my bios setting to 1.5v however that was stable but couldn't take the vdroop. I just started putting rig back into case however I was able to boot into windows with less voltage than before at 3.6 because the vdroop is not really there.

Also I know that you are against vdroop mods I think? Well good thing I'm not :) Anyways always looking to test more out of boards because why settle for less? Never the less I'm happy with results so far and will begin testing as I put rig back into case.
    Last edited by Shauntx; 09-23-2008 at 11:03 PM.

So far with the mod I am seeting very good results was finally able to get over 3.6GHz. Right now I'm at 3.710GHz @ 1.42v set in BIOS and at load 1.40v

Will be pushing for 4.0GHz within the week.

Before I was using higher voltage (at 3.6GHz so my FSB didn't go up I'm still at 3.6 (read full thread 1st please and look in signature says what I was running at)because of my vdroop was horrible with this mod I was able to reduce voltage because without mod windows loaded with high voltage. Due to the vdroop the voltage would drop to like 1.346 at 100% load. Now this was done within my bios setting to 1.5v however that was stable but couldn't take the vdroop. I just started putting rig back into case however I was able to boot into windows with less voltage than before at 3.6 because the vdroop is not really there.

Also I know that you are against vdroop mods I think? Well good thing I'm not :) Anyways always looking to test more out of boards because why settle for less? Never the less I'm happy with results so far and will begin testing as I put rig back into case.
    If you really understand what you are doing to your system I have no problem with the mod. If you are doing this because you think you are making your computer run better I think you should read up on what you are doing.

Seems that everyone that likes extreme mods think their mainboard has too much V-droop no matter what board they have. Most don't mind what they do to their systems if they think it will run better or faster no matter the consequences. If the system blows up no matter they just buy another system. Many times it doesn't matter if the system is still working they just buy something they think will be better. If that is the way you think then Enjoy. But make no mistake that this mod is putting your system at risk for damage by violating Intel design guidelines as engineered by the motherboard manufactuer.

If you are interested here is a simple explanation :

AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

A more technical explanation from the same author who probably does the best motherbaod reviews on the net Kristopher Boughton:

We're here to tell you that you're much better of learning why Vdroop exists (and why it's needed), rather than attempting to hack up your expensive, well-engineered motherboard in a horrific effort to "correct" the problem.

Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums

Also note that he gives an example of a well designed 5 phase sytem an at 125 amp load the V-droop is .163 volts.

Yes I understand that any mod done can harm and most likely will if done incorrect or done at all at that. However I don't plan on keeping a q6600 processor that long and with the 3 I have why not test the waters? Also overclocking your cpu is just the same, however we still do it right? You never know what results you will get some good some bad but thats the game we play.

Yes I understand that any mod done can harm and most likely will if done incorrect or done at all at that. However I don't plan on keeping a q6600 processor that long and with the 3 I have why not test the waters? Also overclocking your cpu is just the same, however we still do it right? You never know what results you will get some good some bad but thats the game we play.
    Then like I said Enjoy.

Overclocking the processor is not the same unless you overvoltage it out of specification, which of course is done too.

Overclocking stresses the processor, mainboard and memory. If done in moderation one can get free extra performance for the same life as a stock part. Running these parts way over specification can cause the parts to not work, a shorter life span or immediate death. This depends upon the amount run out of spec and the resiliency of the parts. This is with safeguards engineered into the products. Once the safeguards are compromised anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    Then like I said Enjoy.

Overclocking the processor is not the same unless you overvoltage it out of specification, which of course is done too.

Overclocking stresses the processor, mainboard and memory. If done in moderation one can get free extra performance for the same life as a stock part. Running these parts way over specification can cause the parts to not work, a shorter life span or immediate death. This depends upon the amount run out of spec and the resiliency of the parts. This is with safeguards engineered into the products. Once the safeguards are compromised anything can happen.
    Yes you are correct on that one however how many people really do a proper overclock? From overclocking I have learned that time is iimportant and using it wisely instead of just try horry an oc is key factor. Every test I run (sadly) is done with me watching every moment!!! You should hear what my girl has to say about that one time I was running Prime95 for about 6 hours when I forgot that I told her that I would take her to see a new movie that came out and I tried to pretend that I was sick lol however as soon as I sat infront of computer to continue watching and monitoring she said "You feel good enough to sit there then you can sit a movies and watch a show there!!" She got me there!

But on another note was surfing the web today (bad thing for a computer person) and found 2 new motherboards! I couldn't help myself in getting:

Intel BOXD5400XS Dual LGA 771 Skulltrail D5400XS --which was overpriced but with B-day gift :)

had to order Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz <--- Express Delievery (will be in Friday by 10:30am

Still haven't decided on ram for this build yet so if anyone know what to get please let me know I like to get atleast 4 gigs

also just ordered:

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (She's gonna kill me when she looks online at this build )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information