Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-DS3P 1.0 Problems, utterly awful board :(

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3P 1.0 Problems, utterly awful board :(

The hottest core is idling @ 36c and voltage is @ 1.38 (set to 1.4) haven't tested load, but I'd be surprised it they were particularly high.

In all honesty, as far as I can tell, the CPU setting has no bearing whatsoever, when the board was doing it's freezing on memory check, the CPU was set completely to stock and the motherboard would completely ignore ANY change to the FSB, even if it was just 1MHz increase, if it were speed / heat related it doesn't explain the behaviour at stock.

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Arcade View Post
    The hottest core is idling @ 36c and voltage is @ 1.38 (set to 1.4) haven't tested load, but I'd be surprised it they were particularly high.

In all honesty, as far as I can tell, the CPU setting has no bearing whatsoever, when the board was doing it's freezing on memory check, the CPU was set completely to stock and the motherboard would completely ignore ANY change to the FSB, even if it was just 1MHz increase, if it were speed / heat related it doesn't explain the behaviour at stock.
    I was reffering to you Power Supply Unit (PSU):-
    Plus are the PSU voltages still within their general tolerances ie 5% +/- ?
    I was trying to learn whether anything else had changed, that was in affect preventing you from obtaining the stability you once had with the board.

If i were you i would return everything back to default, ie load up the Optimized Defaults and even relax timings from that base line (such as tRFC to 48-54 and the main values to 5-5-5-18 or 6-6-6-18)

There's no point in trying to find stability "out of base spec" if you haven't got a reference. Once you found complete stability, you can then if you wish then make any optimizations.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

The problem isn't so much stability, the board is 100% (i.e it NEVER crashes) stable when overclocking the 6600, however occasionally on reboot, for no reason I can ascertain, it suddenly decides to reset the CPU settings, completely disallow ANY change to the FSB speeds, and hang for 5-10 mins halfway through the line on the BIOS screen that reads "Memory runs Dual Channel Interleaved" the line reads "Memor" for a good 5-10 mins then continues as normal (excepting FSB changes)

BTW, Just checked hottest CPU core is 59c under full load, again completely stable though :)

Sorry, just re-read your post : PSU voltages are well within tolerances :)
    Last edited by PC_Arcade; 09-24-2008 at 09:33 PM.

The problem isn't so much stability, the board is 100% (i.e it NEVER crashes) stable when overclocking the 6600, however occasionally on reboot, for no reason I can ascertain, it suddenly decides to reset the CPU settings, completely disallow ANY change to the FSB speeds, and hang for 5-10 mins halfway through the line on the BIOS screen that reads "Memory runs Dual Channel Interleaved" the line reads "Memor" for a good 5-10 mins then continues as normal (excepting FSB changes)

BTW, Just checked hottest CPU core is 59c under full load, again completely stable though :)

Sorry, just re-read your post : PSU voltages are well within tolerances :)
    The problem isn't so much stability, the board is 100% (i.e it NEVER crashes) stable when overclocking the 6600, however occasionally on reboot,
    Yep, but what is it like ie "On Reboot" when everything is at Stock?

In fact this sounds more like the board being on the threshold of stability and every so often at a "stress point" ie reboot, especially cold boot as the current demand is higher, ie HD starting current and the 12volt line being stressed the most.

I think you are just finding "occassionally" your setups weak spot and at that point boot up "falls over".
    I would think that if you back it off slightly (ie the overclock) or try it at stock that it will be fine.
    You need to find that line between stability and max overclock, then wind back some towards stability and leave it there if you wish to have a permanent overclock.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-24-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

As I've said - it will hang for 5-10 mins halfway through the line on the BIOS screen that reads "Memory runs Dual Channel Interleaved" the line reads "Memor" for a good 5-10 mins then continues as normal.

NOTHING makes any difference, even reflashing the BIOS and not keeping settings doesn't change this, the ONLY way to make the board behave temporarily is to remove the CMOS battery and PSU lead for a while :(

As I've said - it will hang for 5-10 mins halfway through the line on the BIOS screen that reads "Memory runs Dual Channel Interleaved" the line reads "Memor" for a good 5-10 mins then continues as normal.

NOTHING makes any difference, even reflashing the BIOS and not keeping settings doesn't change this, the ONLY way to make the board behave temporarily is to remove the CMOS battery and PSU lead for a while :(
    I know, but you still keep on talking about an overclock..

Are you saying this happens when everything is at stock too?

Edit:-
    If it is still pausing on the bios memcheck with everything at stock, you could try running Memtest for a period of time.

OR,

Trying one memory stick at a time.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-24-2008 at 10:35 PM.

The reason I mentioned overclocking was to illustrate that no matter what the FSP is set to the board completely ignores it.

At stock, after waiting 5-10 minutes for it to boot the memory (singly or in pairs) doesn't register any errors in memtest.

It seems to be a bios corruption issue, but for the life of me I can't work out what triggers it, nor any sensible way of sorting it out, as I've said, not even reflashing the BIOS will sort it.

I didn't "keep talking about an overclock" in my original post I stated :
    I had it working fine with my Q6600 @ 3.4 Ghz for weeks when all of a sudden it decided when rebooting it didn't like the overclock and reverted to 2.4 Ghz, and also now takes ~5 minutes to get past the "Memory runs dual channel interleaved" part of the post check.

It's not the first time this board has done this and it can be solved (although seemingly only temporarily) by removing the CMOS battery for a day.

It's worth mentioning that having reverted to stock, it's irrelevant what the FSB is set to as the board completely ignores it, it also won't up the FSB unter windows using the crappy easytune software either :(
    and

when the board was doing it's freezing on memory check, the CPU was set completely to stock and the motherboard would completely ignore ANY change to the FSB, even if it was just 1MHz increase, if it were speed / heat related it doesn't explain the behaviour at stock.[b]
    I'm grateful for the help, but I have stated from the beginning that the problem exists either overclocked OR at stock speeds and settings.
    Last edited by PC_Arcade; 09-24-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Obviously something is becoming apparent when the board does it's own quick memory test - hence the delay.

As for bios corruption, I doubt that is the case as the board will work correctly after the delay.

I think that taking the Cmos battery out for 24 hours is a red herring. For instance you probably (and should) disconnect the PC from your mains supply when you do that, whereas normally you let the OS turn of the PC (in a pseudo standby).

I'm starting to wonder if you have damaged your CPU, Memory or motherboard and one of them is now causing intermittent problems.The PSU could do with a quick stress test too. Obviously overclocking involves risk, as you are taking everything associated out of it's intended specification.

I might have missed it in your Sig, but were you using a very heavy HSF assy for your CPU?
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-24-2008 at 11:02 PM.

I have to disconnect the mains when removing the CMOS battery or the problem persists, as in order to "fix" it the CMOS has to be COMPLETELY cleared and if you don't remove the PSU lead the BIOS still receives power.

I use a fairly heavy heatsink (fx-14), but I'm 100% sure that's not the problem, as IIRC it had done it on occasion before I changed from the stock intel heatsink, I should also note that I changed to the g0 stepping Q6600 last week, and the problem existed both before and after the CPU change.

I've seen others in other forums with this problem with p35 gigabyte boards (although it doesn't seem particularily common).

It also wouldn't explain why everything works perfectly even with periods of extended load after it gets past the memory check, I'm laying the blame FIRMLY at the motherboard unless there's a sensible reason not to.

I've got a LONG history of building PCs so I'm well aware of how to spot the obvious problems as well as a number of odd ones and I'm CONVINCED that the problem lies with the motherboard.
    Last edited by PC_Arcade; 09-24-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Also, having completely cleared the BIOS the memory check works perfectly, stock or clocked, until it decides to go wrong again :lol:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information