Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-DS3P 1.0 Problems, utterly awful board :(

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3P 1.0 Problems, utterly awful board :(

I have to disconnect the mains when removing the CMOS battery or the problem persists, as in order to "fix" it the CMOS has to be COMPLETELY cleared and if you don't remove the PSU lead the BIOS still receives power.
    Of course, but in doing so you are also allowing other components on the motherboard to change state, ie electrolytic capacitors to fully discharge. That's why I'm saying that although your intent is to clear the bios, you are also causing other things to change too - hence the fact that the bios is cleared could be a "red herring" in regard to your actual fault.

Have you stressed the PSU, say in windows with the latest Prime95 (need to get it from the ftp site) and monitored your voltages, just to see if anything is going on there?

Have you got an aftermarket HSF assy and mounting kit that could be shorting out anywhere, or a material coming in contact with the PCB that is partially conductive?

If you've checked all the obvious things it could be a faulty board.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

I've stressed the CPU with Prime '95 , all is well.

There are no shorts.

I'm not convinced the board is faulty so much as poorly designed, there's definately something weird going on, but as I can't work out what it is and the baord is more than 1 year old, looks like I'll just put it where it belongs : in the trash :(

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Arcade View Post
    I've stressed the CPU with Prime '95 , all is well.

There are no shorts.

I'm not convinced the board is faulty so much as poorly designed, there's definately something weird going on, but as I can't work out what it is and the baord is more than 1 year old, looks like I'll just put it where it belongs : in the trash :(
    RMA the board, its that simple. Quit farting around with it. The GA-P35-DS3P is a great board but obviously something has gone wrong with yours.

Don't think you cannot get a bad board from Asus, DFI, or other top board makers. Because bad one's slip through now and then no matter the board maker. Your board was probably fine when it left the factory. But a component probably has failed somewhere on the board.

When ever I get a new board, I stress test it continually for a couple of weeks to quicken the burn in period. The reason I do this is because if there are any imperfections on the motherboard they will usually crop up within the first month or 2. If the board passes the first month or so of stressing it, there's a good probability it will last 10 years if you wanted to keep it running that long.

Yours obviously failed the burn in period. It sucks that it happened, but it happens to the best of motherboard models. RMA it. The odds are that the one you get in return will last 5 years or more without problems if you treat it right.

The GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 in my sig has been running with a 32% overclock for the last 18 months 24/7 without a hiccup.

The GA-P35-DS3P has been a great board for thousands of people so don't let the bad one that you might have gotten trick you into thinking there all bad. That's my 2 cents.

Edit: Just noticed that you say the board is more than a year old. I thought it was a pc you just recently put together. Probably will not be able to RMA then. That sucks. I still think Gigabyte boards are good boards and you got a bad one that had a shorter life span than most.

Hmm for some reason my sig is not showing up in my posts?
    Last edited by CpuMan; 09-25-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Arcade View Post
    As I've said - it will hang for 5-10 mins halfway through the line on the BIOS screen that reads "Memory runs Dual Channel Interleaved" the line reads "Memor" for a good 5-10 mins then continues as normal.
    So have you ran the latest (2.01) memtest86+ on this ram, at stock speed, timings, and voltages one stick at a time at all lately? If not You should. I know your issue seems to be corrected since you CMOS clear, but I would still be testing the ram.

And FYI on Clear CMOS, battery removal for 24 Hours is not needed, see my pinned flashing Guide. Also, not noted there, If you simply flash with Qflash, and disable the Keep DMI Data it will clear the CMOS and Delete the DMI table on flash, and will be rebuilt all over again once you do your final boot into windows

Quote Originally Posted by CpuMan View Post

Hmm for some reason my sig is not showing up in my posts?
    Looks like you must have unchecked the "Show your signature" box when you posted. I checked in the Control Panel and your signature is there and fine, so other then unchecking that box it should be posted on your next post. Be sure to do a Full reply and see if this box is checked or not next post

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Looks like you must have unchecked the "Show your signature" box when you posted. I checked in the Control Panel and your signature is there and fine, so other then unchecking that box it should be posted on your next post. Be sure to do a Full reply and see if this box is checked or not next post
    That must have been it since it's showing up now. Thanks.
    Last edited by CpuMan; 09-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    (Desktop) Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.8GHz || Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3
    G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 x 1GB) F2-6400CL5D
    eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB Mild OC @ 617/738 || Antec Sonota Case || Antec TPII-430W
    WD2500KS 250GB || Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 PCI || Samsung SyncMaster 220wm || Vista Home Premium x64

If you simply flash with Qflash, and disable the Keep DMI Data it will clear the CMOS
    Weirdly this didn't work, I HAD to clear by battery removal, it was the only way I could completely clear the CMOS.

Ram checks out fine BTW :)

Thanks for all the help by the way, I may be no closer to undertsnding why the board does it, but it's nice to speak to people who know WAY more about these boards than I do :)

Not at the moment, although I keep my fingers crossed every time I have to reboot!

Great to hear!

Let us know if you do have any issues, we will try out best to help ya get fixed up!

Thank you :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information