Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA EP45-DS4 in Ubuntu Linux - problems with sensors, DES

Default Re: GA EP45-DS4 in Ubuntu Linux - problems with sensors, DES

I've got more time to tweak the system now, and I think the problem is that the motherboard doesn't change the DDR2 voltages as I specified. Each time I check in PC Health status, the DDR18V is always at 1.79V (I assume it's the DDR2 voltage). Same thing for the CPU Vcore.

The ram is G.Skill Kit Extreme2 2 x 2 Go PC8000 PQ, certified for 1000Mhz at voltage 2.0-2.1V and timings 5-5-5-15, and it doesn't hold long memtests over 400Mhz. Here are my settings when trying to go over 400Mhz (I also tried the ram at 900Mhz and 1000Mhz without overclocking the processor, with either 2.0V or 2.1V, MCH at 1.2 or 1.3V, and the system freezes at the end of bios post):

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0.5
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.65Ghz

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 430Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [333]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B < 2.66 won't even boot into memtest at 400Mhz FSB)
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 860Mhz
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.375

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.3
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.00
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]

Thanks. I'm sure it must be something stupid, but even though the mb will apply the FSB overclocking, it doesn't increase the DDR2 voltage.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You need to switch MCH latches to 400 to go that high, and raise Static tRead Value to 8 or above. Hmm, You are using the latest BIOS Right? Just thinking about your voltages, what does pC health section of the BIOS say when you change it to 2.2 or so?

You also need to disabled SpeedStep, which would be Disable EIST, and C1E

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]<< To overclock, must be disabled
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]<< To overclock, must be disabled if you see it

x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]<< To overclock, must be disabled if you see it

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled] << To overclock, must be disabled
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] << can be enabled

You also must set trfc to 52-62 for 2x2, and you may want to set CPU Skew to 50-150, MCH skew 50-250

If you need further help let me know, you will need to manually set all settings to get best results

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You need to switch MCH latches to 400 to go that high, and raise Static tRead Value to 8 or above. Hmm, You are using the latest BIOS Right?
    I went back to bios F5 since F8 wouldn't even overclock to 400Mhz FSB, but I'll flash the bios again to see with the values you recommend. Indeed, I should have disabled SpeedStep, I just saw the thread about EIST an hour ago ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Just thinking about your voltages, what does pC health section of the BIOS say when you change it to 2.2 or so?
    The problem is that whatever the voltage for the DDR2 (I only tried up to 2.1V since I'd rather not go over the ram specs) the PC health section always reports a DDR18V at 1.79V. If that is the DDR2 voltage (the manual doesn't explain this term), what could be the problem?

Ya, that is the ram voltage. I would suspect maybe that is a issue with F5 BIOS, so maybe try F7 since you did not like F8.

Be sure to load and apply optimized defaults after you flash, save and reboot back to the BIOS and make your disk changes, and anything else you need to change. Do not let windows load first without doing this as you will corrupt your RAID array if you have one

Thanks a lot Lsdmeasap! I works! With bios F8 and after a few reboots the DDR2 voltage settings are applied - same for the CPU Vcore and, as far as I can guess, the MCH.

I applied your settings after flashing the mb with bios F8, and I was able to set the ram to its values (998Mhz, 2.08V, 5-5-5-15) and didn't get any errors in memtest (ran all night). I tried 1066MHz but it didn't work, I might try with 6-6-6-16.

I was able to overclock the Q9550 to 3.57Ghz stable, with 421MHz FSB and DDR2 at 842Mhz (MCH latch either 333 or 400), but I couldn't even see bios post with 422MHz FSB. I tried different settings, and up to 1.38 CPU Vcore (=1.34V in PC Health), I didn't try higher because going from 1.25V to 1.38V didn't even allow 1MHz more on the FSB.

For a few days I'm going to keep it at 3.53GHz, CPU Vcore Auto, MCH at 1.3V, DDR2 at 2.00V, 998Mhz (x2.40B) which should be MCH latch 333. Then I'll start checking if the limit is the CPU FSB or its overall frequency. I still think it should be able to go higher ;).

However, for long-term use I'm happy. With a Vendetta 1 I can't really go higher, in charge the cores would go up to 79° @ 1.38V, with voltage set on auto they don't go over 75°, but at least the DDR2 is really faster (from around 4000GB/s in memtest to 5300GB/s). I'm downloading phoronics-test-suite benchmarks so I can compare it against the performances @ stock ;)

At 3.53GHz, I can enable EIST/CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) again, and it works really stable so far - cherry on the cake!

I don't think I could have worked this out without your help. Thanks again, and I'll keep this thread updated when lm-sensors support the EP45 voltages & fan speed (and if I manage to get a better overclocking ;) ).

Nice to hear!

1066 will work, you just have to tweak it a little bit. No need to use CAS 6 timings.

Post me what you have that fails 1066 but works for 998 and I will advise you.

Same applies with your 421 and 422, post me what worked, and what fails and I will advise

You may have better luck with the 400 MCH Latch

Post me a link to this test you mentioned please, I'd like to check it out

Glad I could be of help!

Just getting the hang of GA-P45 myself, it is a beast compared to P35 that is for sure! I am up to 4.23, just havent had time to go to 4.5 or so, I could without issue on my P35, but it takes a bit more time on P45. Once I fully get the hang of all the options It will be much simpler and easier for me to help others

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information