Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X45-DQ6 GSATA/IDE question...

Default X45-DQ6 GSATA/IDE question...

Thanks again for the last quick answer. While re-reading the manual, I came across one other thing I'd like to confirm. Can I use the GSATA headers to run a RAID pair, AND use the IDE headers to run my pair of DVD burners? Manual seems to say so, but just want to confirm...

Thanks,
    Bill

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X45-DQ6 GSATA/IDE question...

Sure can, I use The Gigbayte/J.Micron Ports for my OS RAID 0, but this is on P35

It is different on P45 though. I do not think you can do your OS raid on there, and You may not even be able to do a "Controlled" RAID in P45 model. Please see here for more info on these ports >>>

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45-ds5-dq6-27384/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/prob...remains-27347/

You work for Mythbusters?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-24-2008 at 03:07 AM.

AHA! Found the answer, embarrassingly enough, in the manual, of all places... On page 86, under "C. Configuring a RAID array in RAID BIOS, they show a BIOS screen capture. Under the two HDD's they are configuring, it shows:

ODD0 : DVDROM GO-D1600B

Ergo, obviously, the thing WILL do both!

AHA! Found the answer, embarrassingly enough, in the manual, of all places... On page 86, under "C. Configuring a RAID array in RAID BIOS, they show a BIOS screen capture. Under the two HDD's they are configuring, it shows:
    ODD0 : DVDROM GO-D1600B
    Ergo, obviously, the thing WILL do both!

Setup? Not nearly - LOL - I'm just in the DESIGN phase!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    It’s almost certain you will see me again when I actually BUILD this bear!<o:p></o:p>
    I've got a 'wish list' on a vendor's website that contains all the components for my next engineering workstation, as well as a series of Ubuntu MythTV PVR's. I'm trying to resolve the important "sorry, that's impossible" problems BEFORE I commit to buying the hardware. As I said previously, this quality of support will make me a Gigabyte fan forever... I'm doing this using a paradigm I learned back in the eighties for buying memory, back when we used chips instead of sticks, and the prices fluctuated like gold - buy when it's cheap, and stockpile for the future. Once my design is 'gelled' (nearly there), I'll watch prices, and try to buy the major components (including spares) when they're on sale.<o:p></o:p>
    I’m an ‘old fart’ – my first PC was a Commodore PET, with a ‘chicklet’ keyboard and an audio tape deck to record programs; my next (my first ‘build’), a Z80 KayPro with two high density (768 K, I think) 5 ¼ disks requiring a hand-soldered ‘piggy-backed’ decoder chip, a 20Mb Seagate ST-225 (at the time, KayPro only offered a 10Mb) which had to be partitioned into 3 volumes, as our OS (ZCPR3) at that time only supported 8Mb volumes, and a megabyte (at that time, expensive, and AWESOME) of hardware RAM disk… (I find it amusing that I looked on my current machine and found that I have three dozen or so individual files that are larger than that entire 20M drive.) I like to think that I’ve learned at least a LITTLE bit about thinking things out in advance to avoid, as much as possible, ‘painting myself into a corner’ during the actual build phase.<o:p></o:p>
    I’ve learned a ton here – like: replaced OCZ 4x2G 1066 memory w/Mushkin; had picked OCZ as their prices are a little lower, and they appear to have good support; but, GB mboards seem to ‘like’ Mushkin memory, and fifteen bucks a pair is nothing compared to extra hours likely spent trying to OC it… Also loved your idea (in the general OC section) of simply using hot-melt to attach a fan to the northbridge heatsink; had actually thought to suspend the board upside down (before I learned – once again, here – that I can simply remove the cooler assembly) to drill a few holes (without scattering aluminum bits onto the board) in the fins, and fabricate a fan mount from sheet aluminum. I’ve taken a picture of the board and scaled it up to life-size; figured out that a 40mm fan will be perfect; CoolJAG makes a 40mm PWM, and now that I know SYS_FAN2 is ‘slaved’ to the NB temp, I don’t need to ‘daisy-chain’ it to the CPU channel – can just plug ‘er in and let the board, instead of the on-fan PWM controller, modulate the fan…<o:p></o:p>
    Also thought to get a mboard with an extra PCIeX slot to run a h’ware RAID controller for three reasons- 1: uncertainty about getting three s’ware RAIDs going; 2: speed; and 3: intended to multi-boot into XP32, XP64, Vista32, Vista64, AND Ubuntu, to keep my ‘work’ OS’s off the net for security, and Ubuntu seems to be MUCH happier w/h’ware RAID. Learned here that 1 isn’t an issue – can run two (WD Velociraptor, for OS’s & swaps) RAID0 pairs off the ICH9R, & another (WD Caviar Black 1Tb) RAID1 pair off the Jmicron, while simultaneously running a pair of DVD’s on the IDE channels. 2 is probably not worth the expense, as, with four cores (switched design from Q9450 to Q9550 when the price got to within ten dollars – why not?) at 3.2 or 3.4 & 12M L2, should be no noticeable speed cost to do s’ware RAID0 and RAID1 (if I were planning a RAID5, might reconsider) – machine should be fast enough to emulate telepathic control! Figured out that 3 isn’t logically an issue: for the extra expense of a three PCIeX slot mboard, plus the $450 or so for an Areca h’ware RAID board, can build a cheap $350 Ubuntu box to do email, skype to work, and browsing; use a KVM (which I already have laying around) to switch one of the four monitors & thus isolate my work machine from the net; AND save the (apparent) nightmare of trying to get Ubuntu to work in a multibooted RAID machine – whole build, including OS install, of the Ubuntu box should take less than a couple hours.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again for the help, and I’ll pretty surely be back for more when I do the actual build!<o:p></o:p>
    Bill<o:p></o:p>

WOW< now that is a reply!

Ya, I am pretty not to young myself, so I do know what you mean for sure. I can remember witting programs in BASIC and Real DOS, and using 5 1/4 disks. Had to use 12 of them to install one F16 Flight simulator game I used to play all the time in the 80's

Well good luck in your planning, it is always good to do so for sure! How long till you start you think?

Good luck in all your planning, and always feel free to come by and ask anything you need to! We will for sure help if we can

Actually, I have a few more questions:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    1- Do you know of a vendor here in the US who sells the port accessories: the 12CF1-1CM001-32R and 12CF1-1LP001R pieces? I’ve read, elsewhere, that just about any older serial port header one might have laying around should work, but I pinned one out with a meter, and am confused. The manual shows:
    Pin Def<o:p></o:p>
    1 NDCD-<o:p></o:p>
    2 NSIN<o:p></o:p>
    3 NSOUT<o:p></o:p>
    4 NTDR-<o:p></o:p>
    5 GND<o:p></o:p>
    6 NDSR-<o:p></o:p>
    7 NRTS-<o:p></o:p>
    8 NCTS-<o:p></o:p>
    9 NRI-<o:p></o:p>
    10 No Pin<o:p></o:p>
    The pin numbers would appear to correspond with the RS-232 9-pin standard pinouts of the actual port end, but what I’m not sure of is whether they ALSO correspond to the board header pin numbers? If so, then my old header is incorrectly wired. I’ve also read (here, somewhere) that ASUS headers will work. Can you confirm that? I do controls engineering, where a lot of the software AND hardware is of ancient heredity – I not only need the old ports, but they’ve got to reside at the old customary addresses and IRQ’s. This, also, is the reason I MUST multi-boot; although I’d love to run leopard or Ubuntu, and they stab me to the tune of thousands of dollars for their programming s’ware, industrial stuff ONLY supports Windoze, and, even worse, this one only supports their products on XpSp3, and that one wants Vista, and good luck finding out if you can run any of it on 64-bit versions! The only discernable progress I’ve seen in twenty-five years is that more and more industrial hardware is starting to support ethernet, which is a godsend – plug ‘er in and she works! I am not too concerned with the parallel port, as I need a couple (still have a LaserJet IIP, which I bought in ’91 for over a grand – “takes a lickin’, and keeps on tickin’…”, and an old plotter) and am eyeballing a LAVA PCI board which supports two parallel at the legacy port addresses, and promises 3X standard speed. Comes with a header and plate for its second port, and I have a couple of plates in the junk pile that have DB9 and DB25 cutouts, so if I can locate a serial header I’m OK; but, of course, wouldn’t mind using the on-board, and having three parallel ports either…<o:p></o:p>
    2- Does Gigabyte still make a microATX board with on-board HDMI support, AND two PCIeX1 slots? Had one picked out at my vendor, but they seem to have quit carrying it. Want to build several PVR systems, and have in mind to put a pair of dual-tuner (PCIeX1) Hauppage HVR-2250’s (if they ever actually get released for sale) in a couple of them for MythTV; seems most micro’s only have one PCIeX1. I think it was P5E-VM, but am not sure…<o:p></o:p>
    3- Am I allowed to mention a vendor’s name here? If so, I could post a pointer to my ‘wish list’ and maybe persuade you to take a look to see if anything jumps out as a “this definitely won’t work” gotcha, BEFORE I order…<o:p></o:p>
    4- What are your thoughts about posting pointers to this location in a couple of other spots where there are Gigabyte questions begging to be answered? I ask because, as I’ve said previously, I think the existence of this level of support is one of the best conceivable reasons to buy Gigabyte, and is a great marketing plus for the products; but I don’t know what your feelings are on your workload. I especially feel guilty about the likelihood of saddling you with a bunch more LSBK problems (Loose Screw Behind Keyboard) - although I realize ‘newbies’ need answers, too. For example, I’ve been watching reviews for a particular fan controller I’m thinking of using, and, even though the manual is only 8 pages long, clearly states the solution, and others have posted the solution, still 10% of the posts complain of inability to turn off the alarm for a channel with no fan attached, and half of these threaten RMA’s. I have my own support nightmares, especially as I am expected to support jobs I did twenty years ago to which they’ve inevitably lost the source code, and I don’t want to add to anyone else’s without having discussed it beforehand… If you’d prefer not to get any more popular, perhaps I can occasionally scan these locations and transfer answers available here to them.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks again,
    Bill

I have also read (not confirmed) that the Asus ones work. I did find them in a few Australia places.

I also found these for you on ebay >>>

Item # 360089393617
    Computer Panel Bracket Cable Assembly DB25 & DB9 Serial - eBay (item 360089393617 end time Oct-16-08 07:07:33 PDT)

Item # 130220796977
    DB9M Serial Add-A-Port Adapter with Bracket-DB9/IDC10 - eBay (item 130220796977 end time Oct-04-08 08:44:42 PDT)

Buy, you may want to message them and ask for sure.

You may also be able to use a adapter like this? >>>
    Item # 320305736345
    USB 2.0 Cable to DB9 pin RS232 COM Port Serial Adapter - eBay (item 320305736345 end time Oct-05-08 18:02:32 PDT)

Or
    Item # 290263611964
    USB 2.0 to 9 Pin RS232 com port adapter converter cable - eBay (item 290263611964 end time Sep-29-08 11:15:41 PDT)

This user asked for S/PDIF cable and I found him a Au Ebay Seller that ships worldwide, just incase you need one of those >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/wher...sh-pins-27675/

Have you contacted Gigabyte Directly to see if they sell them or can point you to someone who does?

Sorry I can't be of more direct help there other then supplying links you likely have already seen.

Maybe you could just re-wire the header you have to match up properly? I have done this several times with Case Audio's that did not match up

As for your second question, I could not find any at Newegg that have specifically 2 PCIe X1 slots, but these have one, plus another PCIe X4 or X16, which will run a Second PCIe X1 card. But depending on your other needs it may be of no help either >>>
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EG43M-S2H LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EG45M-DS2H LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

So again there, I am likely no help either!!! Sorry man!

Yes, you can mention other vendors, no problem

And sure, link anyone who needs some help to here anytime you wish. I am no expert by far, nor do I work for Gigabyte. Just a Loyal User with no problems trying to help others.

Everyone needs help sometime, and there will always be "Those" users you mention. So either way, if you send them or they find there way here I try to help

Thread Information