Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got my system rebuilt.

1. Default Re: Got my system rebuilt.

Thanks svcglobal.

Is Everest UE just a diag and bench app or can you actually do some tweaking as well???
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

Default Re: Got my system rebuilt.

No tweaks at all. Just a good tool for precise computer specs metering.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Performance Enhance changes not only that, but Static tRead Value as well, which is a HUGE impact. But it is till best to manually test and set this yourself, especially since you are already running overclocked 1066 ram

4. Default Re: Got my system rebuilt.

Thanks for the info LSD.

Here are some snapshots of Performance Enchance. You'll notice that in STANDARD the timings are kinda loose. In TURBO they do tighten up quite a bit. But there is no difference between TURBO and EXTREME.

I usually run my memory setup the way the BIOS/Optimized setting sets it up which is with Performance Enhance at TURBO. I have lowered the tRAS to 15 sometimes.

Performance Enhance changes not only that, but Static tRead Value as well, which is a HUGE impact. But it is till best to manually test and set this yourself, especially since you are already running overclocked 1066 ram
    Most of the overclocking has be done by the motherboard itself just by me loading the optimized settings in the BIOS. But like I mentioned above I did lower the tRAS to 15.

Other than increasing the voltages to the DRAM and MCH I have done not anything else to tweak.

What I would like to know is if my memory can be overclocked some more. I wanna find out what these bad boy Mushkins PC2-8500's can do and I don't think I have even began tapping into what they can really do. When I run the Everest to benchmark the memory bandwidth it's only 7,200 to 7,300 MB/s, even when I tighten up the timings to 5-5-5-15.
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

5. Default Re: Got my system rebuilt.

Well....

I did manage to get my memory bandwidth up over 8,500 MB/s. Actually got over 8,600 MB/s. Started overclocking the CPU a little bit at a time whilst adjusting the Memory Multiplier to match the Memory speed. Had my CPU overclocked up to 37%...somewhere around 3.5 Ghz and that's what cranked up the Memory bandwidth.

Ran Everest Stability test for about 10 minutes keeping my eye on the temp read-outs. It did alright. Being my first real overclock I didn't want to press it so I shut down the test. Went and reset the CPU speed back to normal.

Kinda scary for me. I was sweating bullets heh. I don't think I did any real damage.

I'm in the midst of preparing a spread sheet to see how much tRFC affects performance and where you can draw the line between that and stability.

It would be good to produce an online calculator, but with the sheer amount of variables it would make it an enormous task.

Alternatively, maybe tweaktown would allow forum members to submit their setup results. ie one say that has always been stable and a second about their maximum stable overclock (if they have one). Just an idea... :-)
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

7. Default Re: Got my system rebuilt.

Well....

I had tried a number of settings in the BIOS in the tweak section. I found if I tightened the memory ticks any more than 5-5-5-15 the system would reboot 2 or 3 times on it's own. When I would get in the BIOS the system reset the ticks to factory default 6-7-7-24. I wound up having to reload the Optimized settings all over again.

I also found I could OC the CPU 7% to 2.88 Ghz without having to underclock the memory bus speed of 1125 Mhz . I was getting upwards of 7,900 MB/s of memory bandwidth. Not sure how stable it was.

Since I am quite new to overclocking in general practice I was more interested in getting my feet wet with some simple sucessfull overclocks than doing any stability testing.

I kinda went out on a limb with OCing my CPU all the way up to 3.5 GHz. I had no idea it was gonna speed up the memory bandwidth as much as it did. When I first saw the Everest bench memory speed of 8,600+ MB/s I lost my breath. I thought "uh oh...I toasted my brand new memory"

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If you take the AUTO off everything and manually set it you can get far better results. I do see you are new to all of this, so it may take you some time.

But just wanted to let you know Auto with or without turbo, extreme, ect will be no where near what manual tweaking will get you.

Here is my Mushkin 6400 @ 900Mhz with no tweaking done yet, havent had time to get in there and play yet >>>>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information