Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X48-DQ6 fan headers info repost request...

Question X48-DQ6 fan headers info repost request...

Could you please re-post your answer about these headers - I remember the two 4-pin answers, but neglected to copy the rest & now it's gone...

Particularly, want to know if the NB header is controlled?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X48-DQ6 fan headers info repost request...

Here is what svcglobal had posted. >>>

CPU_FAN connector needs a CPU cooler with four wires were the PWM modulator is included in the cooler. The mobo senses the CPU temperature and managing the pin 4 signal, the cooler's fan will automatically be increased or decreased, following the CPU temp. Fan's rotation feedback returns via pin 3 for BIOS alarm feature.

SYS_FAN2 connector needs any fan, with three or four wires (don't care) since the speed is controlled via on-board PWM controller that supply pulse-width-modulated 12v for the fan via pin 2.
    So, if using a four wire fan, its internal PWM is locked to full speed (this explain that fixed 5v on pin 4).
    This time, the mobo senses the North Bridge (in my case the P35) temperature and will increase or decrease the speed of the fan connected in this socket. Feedback is sent to pin 3 for BIOS alarm purposes.

SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN are three pin socket with fixed full speed fan. No controlled rotation at all from the mobo. Rotation feedback also monitored via pin 3 only for BIOS alarm purpose.
    *Note*
    You can go to your profile anytime and find your older posts, so you can see the replies. Just click your name on any post, then choose view profile or easier click find more posts by bilbat. Then you can see all posts you have made

But no, NB header has power only. No sensor or control

Thanks for re-posting the info, and also for pointing out where I could’ve found the original…<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I guess my only remaining question is “Why is it labeled ‘SYS_FAN2’, and not ‘NB_FAN2’? I guess though, so long as I know how it WORKS, who cares what it’s called! It IS a neat setup, however: as far as I can figure, allows you to use either a 3 or 4 pin fan with alacrity. Have thought a lot about it, as I have used a lot of PWM motors (for about a decade, industrial servo systems [moving a ton or two to within a couple ten-thousandths of an inch] used PWM drives: got a lot of ‘oomph’ in a small package – only drawback was, as PWM was switched at an audio frequency [usually somewhere between 2 & 6 KHz] the motors tended to ‘sing’ at that frequency audibly) – wondered if there’d be any kind of ‘beat frequency’ problems. Far as I can think, though, if PWM is switched ‘dead on’ with 5v on pin 4, the pulse width modulated drive voltage supplied on pin 2 should pass right through the on-fan switching with no problem, as the on-fan controller has no ‘inherent’ frequency, and simply switches as dictated by pin 4.
    Have a case that has five fans: two exhaust at the top, one exhaust at the rear, one intake under the bottom, and a ‘puller’ to suck air through the drive stack… Tell the board design guys that what I’d like is about seven or eight of these fan headers, and a few thermistor headers, so I can, in the BIOS, slave any fan header to any (system accessible, like the CPU, NB, & memory, OR thermistors I can stick anywhere) temp reading – can’t cost more than fifty bucks or so, & would be SO handy!<o:p></o:p>
    Well – thanks again, & will (hopefully) talk to you soon when I start setting this beast up…<o:p></o:p>
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bilbat View Post
    Thanks for re-posting the info, and also for pointing out where I could’ve found the original…<o:p></o:p>
    I guess my only remaining question is “Why is it labeled ‘SYS_FAN2’, and not ‘NB_FAN2’? I guess though, so long as I know how it WORKS, who cares what it’s called! It IS a neat setup, however: as far as I can figure, allows you to use either a 3 or 4 pin fan with alacrity. Have thought a lot about it, as I have used a lot of PWM motors (for about a decade, industrial servo systems [moving a ton or two to within a couple ten-thousandths of an inch] used PWM drives: got a lot of ‘oomph’ in a small package – only drawback was, as PWM was switched at an audio frequency [usually somewhere between 2 & 6 KHz] the motors tended to ‘sing’ at that frequency audibly) – wondered if there’d be any kind of ‘beat frequency’ problems. Far as I can think, though, if PWM is switched ‘dead on’ with 5v on pin 4, the pulse width modulated drive voltage supplied on pin 2 should pass right through the on-fan switching with no problem, as the on-fan controller has no ‘inherent’ frequency, and simply switches as dictated by pin 4.
    Have a case that has five fans: two exhaust at the top, one exhaust at the rear, one intake under the bottom, and a ‘puller’ to suck air through the drive stack… Tell the board design guys that what I’d like is about seven or eight of these fan headers, and a few thermistor headers, so I can, in the BIOS, slave any fan header to any (system accessible, like the CPU, NB, & memory, OR thermistors I can stick anywhere) temp reading – can’t cost more than fifty bucks or so, & would be SO handy!<o:p></o:p>
    Well – thanks again, & will (hopefully) talk to you soon when I start setting this beast up…<o:p></o:p>
    Bill
    The switching frequency is commonly around 25khz. An almost steady 5v on pin 4 represents a 100% duty cycle:-

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...e_PWM_Spec.pdf

Edit:- I can confirm too, that SYS_FAN 2 on my P35 board does NOT follow the 4 pin pwm fan standard (as the CPU header does). Instead they have made it into a Hybrid connection and indeed the voltage on Pin 2 which should be a steady 12volts (as per the 4pin fan standard) does appear to vary on system temperature (=>8 volts). I haven't determined if that is based on Northbridge, MB temperature etc.
    I can see why Gigabyte may have done this though. It can allow both a 3 pin or 4 pin fan to be temperature controlled via the board, although you have no control of this.
    Pin 4 though should be 0 volts when a fan isn't connected, as it is a 4 pin fans job to "pull up" the voltage to no more than 5.25volts for the PWM signal. I can only assume Gigabyte have set Pin 4 of the header to 5 volts on the rogue SYS_FAN 2 to ensure that if a 4 pin fan is connected it will run at 100% duty cycle and thus the supply voltage of Pin 2, as a 3 pin fan would.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-27-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

I think you're right about 'why they did it'; besides being able to control either kind of fan, a PWM solution is, overall, 'cleaner' than any other - a 'switch', i.e., a triac or a mosfet that's either ON or OFF always dissipates less heat per controlled watt of power than, say, the output half of a darlington pair... I just wish they'd do it, say, six or eight more times per board

darlington pair
    That's going back a bit :) I'm not even sure if Darlington transistors are still commonly available, well certainly not how they used to be. I'll have to check RS. RS Online
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

To quote another post of mine:

"I’m an ‘old fart’ – my first PC was a Commodore PET, with a ‘chicklet’ keyboard and an audio tape deck to record programs; my next (my first ‘build’), a Z80 KayPro with two high density (768 K, I think) 5 ¼ disks requiring a hand-soldered ‘piggy-backed’ decoder chip, a 20Mb Seagate ST-225 (at the time, KayPro only offered a 10Mb) which had to be partitioned into 3 volumes, as our OS (ZCPR3) at that time only supported 8Mb volumes, and a megabyte (at that time, expensive, and AWESOME) of hardware RAM disk… (I find it amusing that I looked on my current machine and found that I have three dozen or so individual files that are larger than that entire 20M drive.) I like to think that I’ve learned at least a LITTLE bit about thinking things out in advance to avoid, as much as possible, ‘painting myself into a corner’ during the actual build phase."

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p itxtvisited="1">I originally learned FORTRAN as a fourteen year old junior in a Catholic high-school from a NUN who had made arrangements for us to use a mainframe at a local company. Disk drives were brand new (everything ran off tape) and looked like half a chest freezer. We programmed on punch cards, and the most horrible thing that could happen was not a bug requiring a rewrite, it was dropping your card deck, and having to put it back in order! :)</o:p>

Bill

To quote another post of mine:

"I’m an ‘old fart’ – my first PC was a Commodore PET, with a ‘chicklet’ keyboard and an audio tape deck to record programs; my next (my first ‘build’), a Z80 KayPro with two high density (768 K, I think) 5 ¼ disks requiring a hand-soldered ‘piggy-backed’ decoder chip, a 20Mb Seagate ST-225 (at the time, KayPro only offered a 10Mb) which had to be partitioned into 3 volumes, as our OS (ZCPR3) at that time only supported 8Mb volumes, and a megabyte (at that time, expensive, and AWESOME) of hardware RAM disk… (I find it amusing that I looked on my current machine and found that I have three dozen or so individual files that are larger than that entire 20M drive.) I like to think that I’ve learned at least a LITTLE bit about thinking things out in advance to avoid, as much as possible, ‘painting myself into a corner’ during the actual build phase."

<o:p itxtvisited="1">I originally learned FORTRAN as a fourteen year old junior in a Catholic high-school from a NUN who had made arrangements for us to use a mainframe at a local company. Disk drives were brand new (everything ran off tape) and looked like half a chest freezer. We programmed on punch cards, and the most horrible thing that could happen was not a bug requiring a rewrite, it was dropping your card deck, and having to put it back in order! :)</o:p>

Bill
    I remember having a 48MB drive in my Amiga 1200. It was still huge capacity compared to a floppy disk.
    I found an old catalogue from the late 80's/early 90's which I used to buy add ons like 512k of RAM from. I also found an old invoice where I had paid £400($700) for 8MB of ram. This was for my second PC which had a P90 and a VIP board. The VIP board at the time was new and also a pain as it was a hybrid board (Vesa, ISA and the latest PCI!).

It's crazy when you think I purchased 8MB of ram for £400 (this is pre EDO) and now you can buy 8GB for a THIRD of that...

Edit: I see you mention the Zilog Z80. I learnt basic machine code using a console based on the Rockwell 6502 - that was at college though.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.

Yeah, I recall those 6502's; seems to me there were about 2 or 3 versions, all with 'proto-board' stick-in wiring segments on 'em - I think Rockwell probably sold a lot of micro-controllers based on the fact that so many people learned machine coding on 'em; sorta like Apple's policy of getting their systems into schools...

I remeber what a big deal it was to the Z-80 crowd when we finally got, WOW, an ASSEMBLER, & could quit hand-coding machine language!

Finally noticed (Duhh! Guess the UK at the end of your handle should've given me a clue... ) the you're from Great Britain: ever see any Midtec Spyders there? Worked for a while some time ago to import them here.
    Built a prototype to re-engineer for US bits & pieces

[IMG]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/743/****pitpb2.th.jpg[/IMG]
    Was made for little four cylinders: dumped an aluminum V-8 into it - 325HP x 1300 pounds!
    Always wondered if they were still in business?

Yeah, I recall those 6502's; seems to me there were about 2 or 3 versions, all with 'proto-board' stick-in wiring segments on 'em - I think Rockwell probably sold a lot of micro-controllers based on the fact that so many people learned machine coding on 'em; sorta like Apple's policy of getting their systems into schools...

I remeber what a big deal it was to the Z-80 crowd when we finally got, WOW, an ASSEMBLER, & could quit hand-coding machine language!

Finally noticed (Duhh! Guess the UK at the end of your handle should've given me a clue... ) the you're from Great Britain: ever see any Midtec Spyders there? Worked for a while some time ago to import them here.
    Built a prototype to re-engineer for US bits & pieces

[IMG]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/743/****pitpb2.th.jpg[/IMG]
    Was made for little four cylinders: dumped an aluminum V-8 into it - 325HP x 1300 pounds!
    Always wondered if they were still in business?
    I might have done :) . There was a garage I remember going to with an ex of mine to get her a second hand Ford Puma and they sold loads of that type of car you show. I think one of the makes was Caterham..
    Caterham Cars - Designed for racing, built for living

The CSR260, 0-60 in 3.1 seconds!
    http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/showroom/csr.html
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-28-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information