Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Everest

1. Question Help with Everest

Just trying to understand all the different numbers that I'm getting with Everest.

Here's a pic of the motherboard/memory bus properties:

Here's a pic of the Cache and Memory Benchmark:

Trying to understand how the numbers in the memory bus properties and the numbers in the benchmark relate:

Memory bus bandwidth = 17062 MB/s

Cache and memory Benchmark = (R)7438 MB/s (W)4860 MB/s (C)5556 MB/s

What about the L1 and L2 Cache??

How does all this stuff fit in with each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

Default Re: Help with Everest

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDavisLeeSomething View Post
    Just trying to understand all the different numbers that I'm getting with Everest.

Here's a pic of the motherboard/memory bus properties:

Here's a pic of the Cache and Memory Benchmark:

Trying to understand how the numbers in the memory bus properties and the numbers in the benchmark relate:

Memory bus bandwidth = 17062 MB/s

Cache and memory Benchmark = (R)7438 MB/s (W)4860 MB/s (C)5556 MB/s

What about the L1 and L2 Cache??

How does all this stuff fit in with each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Your Level 1 & 2 Caches are "On Chip" (say current Intel)

The idea of the Cache is to store regularly used bits of data in very fast memory (much faster than standard DDR ram). This way when the CPU is crunching numbers, it doesn't have to keep on going back to the slower main memory.
    CPU cache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

3. Default Re: Help with Everest

Thanks for the response VorLonUK.

I think I understand the roles of the CPU caches alot better now. I reckon I should separate the Cache speeds and Memory speeds. I assume neither effects the other and that they work indepentantly..???

I also I believe I have figured out why Everest lists my Memory Bus Bandwidth as 17062 MB/s:

FSB bandwidth = 8,531 MB/s

Memory Bus bandwidth = 8,531 MB/s x 2(Dual Channel) = 17,062 MB/s. Heh...so simple it caught me off guard.

Right now I am trying to figure out where the overclocking threshold is on my system. I'm pretty sure all of the memory timings are overclocked as far as they will go. I don't know for sure, possible they could be tightened up a little bit more. I have had the memory speed OC'd to upwards of 1100+ Mhz with the CPU OC'd 5% to 6% to 3.3 -3.5 Ghz. If I OC'd the CPU any more without adjusting the Memory Multiplier to bring down the memory speed then I would get triple reboots and the settings in the BIOS would resort back to factory defaults.

What I would like to know is how do I use the numbers
    memory Benchmark = (R)7438 MB/s (W)4860 MB/s (C)5556 MB/s
    in the Everest benchmark to determine how fast the memory bandwidth is. Do I need to average the 3 different numbers to get close to 8,500 MB/s labeled memory speed so as not to toast my memory???
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

The best place for your questions is Lavalys discussion Forum:

Lavalys Discussion Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Fiery is the man.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDavisLeeSomething View Post

What I would like to know is how do I use the numbers in the Everest benchmark to determine how fast the memory bandwidth is. Do I need to average the 3 different numbers to get close to 8,500 MB/s labeled memory speed so as not to toast my memory???
    If you want to get close to the 8500MB/s your ram is rated at, you must properly and fully tweak the ram timings.

Just for a comparison here is my 6400 MB/s ram at 900Mhz or 7111 MB/s with some tweaks made, but nothing fully tested or tweaked. Posted this yesterday
    >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/huge...tml#post261736

So your ram will do MUCH better then it is set to run at now, for sure with some tweaked settings

And Yeap, Lavalys Forums is a great place to read for info or make some posts about things

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    And Yeap, Lavalys Forums is a great place to read for info or make some posts about things
    Not for you Lsdmeasap but that is the Everest Forum and Fiery is a developer. No better or accurate information about Everest than there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeah, I know. Why do you say "Not for me"?
    Because you already know.

10. Default Re: Help with Everest

If you want to get close to the 8500MB/s your ram is rated at, you must properly and fully tweak the ram timings.
    I reckon I'm gonna need some help then. For the last 2 or 3 days I have been tweaking a little here, tweaking a little there and mostly unsuccessfully. What you see in the pics below is the best that I have been able to do and have a successful reboot.

Here's the benchmark for the above settings. They're kinda slow, I'm using up some bandwitdth writing this and setting up the pics. They're usually about 125+ MB/s higher than this:

The only way I have been able to increase the memory bandwidth is to overclock the CPU. I 've tried adjusting the memory multiplier, with no help. I have been able to get 8,600+ MB/s but only once though. Was a couple of day ago and I can't for the life of me remember all of the settings. I had to oc the CPU quite a bit though, all the way up to 3.55 Ghz. In fact, increasing the FSB and/or CPU has been the only way I've been able to increase the memory bandwidth. I can oc the CPU to 3.2Ghz, FSB 320 Mhz, downclock the memory to 1066(533 Mhz). If I oc any higher it won't fly. Triple reboots and resets to factory defaults.

Been reading the sticks trying to understand what the heck I might be doing wrong. I just can't figure it out.

P.S. Here a better snapshot of the benchmark. I didn't have anything else up and running:

Almost forgot. I adjusted the memory multiplier to 4.0~ --> 1066 Mhz Strapping...whatever that means. Didn't make any difference. Also adjusted the memory multiplier to 4.0+ --> 800 Mhz Strapping without any difference.
    Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 09-30-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information