Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

Default Re: Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    It is really the bios vid as vid is dynamic and yes Intel advises 1.3625v for your CPU.

Target idle voltage is as you now know the bios voltage after V-offset. Since you already know the current offset use that amount to compute what you want. After that it is just trial and error using CPUZ.
    ahh, i see... so when people quote what sound like great low voltage over clocks they're actually quoting idle voltage after v-offset rather than VID....

Quote Originally Posted by svcglobal View Post
    Wow! What you are doing with your E7200? 1.3250v?
    Typo error or are you trying to suicide your CPU?

Bring down that BIOS voltage to 1.27, max. Probably your issue is related to temperature shutdown.
    I'm still a bit confused with this post then, surely the voltage i'm running it at is safe?! if a max voltage spike cannot exist past 1.3250v then thats miles away from intel max 1.3625v....
    i do intend to see how low i can get the cpu voltage stable as it seems pointless not to! however a bios voltage of 1.27v would give an approx cpu-z idle of 1.24v and load of 1.225v which seem a bit hopeful?!

LSDmeasap:

cheers for those recomended settings i'll give them a go tonight + try to post up some memset screens.

one thing though, I've noticed most people have No-Execute Memory Protect set to ENABLED wheras mine is disabled, is this anything worth changing?

static TRead value is called performance value/mode something in memset right? if so i'm sure i remember it read as being 12 which seems high, but again, will first try 7 as you suggest and put it hrough some memory torture with all the auto settings revised.

I'm pretty sure the cpu-z tab timings table shows timings of:

3-3-3-9 @266fsb
    4-4-4-12 @333fsb
    5-5-5-15 @ 400fsb
    Last edited by dylan0451; 10-01-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can leave it disabled if you like, but it is a security feature so you are better off with it enabled

Yeap Static tRead Value AKA TRD is Performance Level in Memset. You may need to use 8 at first

I would like to see pics if possible of that tab, and the available tabs in Memset (EPP if it is there, if not no need as all will be shown on CPU-z's SPD tab anyway) when you get time of course

cheers,

when i get home I'll post pics up of memset + cpu-z as the settings stand, then I'll try the manual settings and post up pics of those should they be stable

K, Good luck I will see ya this afternoon or tonight

Ok LSD...

this pic is of current timings with the settings mentioned above (maybe the previous page?!) with some on auto.

I'll give the settings you suggested a go and hopefully if all boots well I'll post up a memset + cpuz of those also
    Attached Images Attached Images Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!-memset-cpu-z_auto_settings-jpg 

so far tonight i've found out that....

running the ram at 790mhz as i was before wasn't occt/orthos stable. considering the quality of this ram i've dropped the fsb slightly (from 395 - 390fsb) rather than consider loosening timings

i can run performance level/trd at 8 rather than the original auto value of 12

this 2x2gb dane-elec celenade pc6400 stuff seems to be surviving with +0.2v ddr2 voltage (2.0v total) infact it needed this to get the trd/performance level down past 10. chips are still cool to the touch

i did try putting in the loosest, top end values that you prescribed for the memory subtimings however orthos/occt failed within seconds. now i'm at 2.0v i will begin adjusting the settings left on auto one by one perhaps looser than the values you first suggested.

basically, i'm not sure what settings i should be primarily focussing my efforts on, if you could give me an idea of priorities, that'd be good!
    Attached Images Attached Images Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!-crap_ram_testing-jpg 

Looks like that ram is at the top of it's performance maybe? Did you also try 1.9V as 2.0 may be too much for it being budget, I just though ti may be worth a try

You would be better off buying some 2.0-2.1 rated good name brand ram. And I see in SPD of Memset your ram is already by Stock at 6400 at 40% overclock for the chips on it. Normal 800 ram would be 10-15% overclock on the chips in it. So that is very cheap chips they used to begin with and programmed them up to 800. So right at 800 is likely almost as good as they will get and you may need to raise settings to stabilize them instead of trying to tweak them at all.

So you might just have to back off things a little bit in your whole overclock to gain stability until you can buy better ram

I guess you're right, running at 1:1 divider @780mhz i managed to get a few of the timings down a bit. something quite odd happened though (well, i thought it was odd anyway)

Rank Write to READ Delay________ bios says auto setting of 3 - in memset its 11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ bios says auto setting of 6 - in memset its 14

now when i tried to change these values from auto to a higher manual number in the bios, when i went into memset rather than retain the manual settings they had doubled themselves - 22/28 or something close to that

as they are at 5-5-5-15 trd-8 and 2.0v is stable

what do you think of this kit?

Mushkin 4GB ES2-6400 Essential Series (2x2GB) - Aria Technology

about $100 or just under seems good value for those latencies, and i imagine i could perhaps get them slightly tighter running at my current fsb

i'm trying to stay away from ram with heatspreaders that make the sticks taller as they won't clear my hsf
    Last edited by dylan0451; 10-02-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Ya, so now you can up the FSB a little more. I would say keeping ram around 800-850 would be good until you can get some decent ram

You may be able to use trd 6-7 at those speeds

Ya, I need to update the memory guide. I forgot to add two things to it about those. One is added >>>

Rank Write to READ Delay (tWTR)_______ (4-6) 9-11 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 7+)

I will update the other two now

Well How much room do you have? I say that cause those again are budget sticks, and I cannot vouch for how good any budget stick is as I do not use/test them. Regular Mushkins heatsink is only about 1/4" Taller them ram without any on it. What cooler do you have and I will see if it will fit, it should.

These are the good ones there 996580 (Both are the same chips, different color sinks is all) >>>
    Mushkin 4GB XP2-6400 X-Line Extreme Memory (2x2GB) - Aria Technology

Those should fit under your fan, let me know what it is and I will check for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, so now you can up the FSB a little more. I would say keeping ram around 800-850 would be good until you can get some decent ram

You may be able to use trd 6-7 at those speeds

Ya, I need to update the memory guide. I forgot to add two things to it about those. One is added >>>

Rank Write to READ Delay (tWTR)_______ (4-6) 9-11 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 7+)

I will update the other two now

Well How much room do you have? I say that cause those again are budget sticks, and I cannot vouch for how good any budget stick is as I do not use/test them. Regular Mushkins heatsink is only about 1/4" Taller them ram without any on it. What cooler do you have and I will see if it will fit, it should.

These are the good ones there 996580 (Both are the same chips, different color sinks is all) >>>

Those should fit under your fan, let me know what it is and I will check for ya
    the original problem was that the ram wouldn't do 800mhz at 5-5-5-18 trd12 let alone the timings i've got it to now at 780mhz!

glad to hear those two timings wern't an indication of an unstable ram issue, odd though as i've never heard of them moving themselves before...

i suppose i could just about stretch to either of those, they do look pretty good...

the cooler is a scythe ninja rev.b - the cooler itself clears fine, its just the 120mm fan almost sits on top of the first ram stick as it is.

thinking about it... would it be detrimental to performance to use slots 2&4 rather than 1&3? i ask as i think there would be enough room for the ram if i were to do this, and it would run in dual channel still right?!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information