Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

Question Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

Hey Guys,

finally got my system stable, specs below:

E7200 duo 9.5 multi 395fsb - 3.7ghz - 1.3250v bios, 1.295v cpu-z, 1.280v cpu-z load

P35-DS3L - +0.1 all voltage bar mch which is +0.2

2x2gb budget ram @5-5-5-18@1.9v

gigabyte 9600gt OC'd via rivetuner - core 800, memory 2150

2x seagate barracuda raid0 via pci card

budget 5.1 pci souncard

2x optical drives, 1x 140mm fan on a fan controller, 4x 120mm fans, 1x 80mm fan + 1x 40mm fan

1x cold cathode

Power supply calculator eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 rekons i draw about 430w at full load of all components (minus the graphics card OC as there's nowhere to put it in), my power supply is a 500w, 4 years old unbranded thing, probably only cost about £40-50 back then. Possibly i was quoted its peak output rather than constant?! the name superflower/sunflower something like that rings a bell...

The problem is that after 2-3 hours the whole pc dies as if there were a power cut, up until then everthing works perfectly - occt, orthos etc.
    yesterday i put it through an hour of orthos blend, then played stalker clearsky for a couple of hours absolutely no problems, then surfed the web for a bit and the machine just died! it reboots fine, doesn't loose any bios settings etc. but after it's cut out once it'll only last in windows for maybe 5 mins before doing it again.

Once i've left it to cool down completely e.g. overnight it'll work for a couple of hours before it happens.

i get the impression the PSU is under too much load + generating so much heat it's thermal trip switch is... tripping?!

if it were the case would one of these:

PC_World - Power Supplies - £75 - £100

^ i can get either of those same day

would have to order the below:

Product Details :: evilgaming.co.uk_

be recommended?

cheers for all the replies!
    Last edited by dylan0451; 09-29-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Default Re: Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

While a good power supply is essential why are you not talking about your case and what the different temps are??? CPU and System. Are you using CPUID Hardware Monitor??? If not get it.

Just for an example if CPU temps are very high the cooler may have to be re-seated. Though as you are aware you may need a better PSU not matter what. Take a look at and give accurate infomation about it.

The second link in your post does not work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    While a good power supply is essential why are you not talking about your case and what the different temps are??? CPU and System. Are you using CPUID Hardware Monitor??? If not get it.

Just for an example if CPU temps are very high the cooler may have to be re-seated. Though as you are aware you may need a better PSU not matter what. Take a look at and give accurate infomation about it.

The second link in your post does not work for me.

can't get the link to work, its a PC power + cooling silencer 750

the case has 2 120mm fans in the side panel running @ 7v, 1 140mm fan at the front on a fan controller and the rear is a 120mm running at 12v

cpu cooler is a scythe ninja with a 120mm fan running at 12v

with a 50% OC @ 3.7 GHz cpu temps never go above 55-59c at full load with occt/othos using realtemp to monitor (calibrated) and idle at about 32-33c

NB never seems to go much over 30-35c

there may be an issue that the exhaust fan + cpu cooler are working so well in a push/pull config that the psu air intake is unable to draw much air and hence overheating... though the problem is compounded i guess by the fact its operating at 85% ish
    Last edited by dylan0451; 09-29-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Wow! What you are doing with your E7200? 1.3250v?
    Typo error or are you trying to suicide your CPU?

Bring down that BIOS voltage to 1.27, max. Probably your issue is related to temperature shutdown.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Quote Originally Posted by dylan0451 View Post
    try this

Product Details :: evilgaming.co.uk_

the case has 2 120mm fans in the side panel running @ 7v, 1 140mm fan at the front on a fan controller and the rear is a 120mm running at 120mm.

cpu cooler iis a scythe ninja with a 120mm fan running at 12v

cpu temps never go above 55-59c at full load with occt/othos using realtemp to monitor (calibrated) and idle at about 32-33c

NB never seems to go much over 30-35c

there may be an issue that the exhaust fan + cpu cooler are working so well in a push/pull config that the psu air intake is unable to draw much air and hence overheating... though the problem is compounded i guess by the fact its operating at 85% ish
    The link does not work this is what I get: Sorry there has been an Error.

Product Details :: evilgaming.co.uk

Though I suspect you do want a good name brand PSU and that's a great idea especially if the old one is not a good one.

As for your case not being able to draw air: I think only if obstructed even though you didn't name the case. The reason I think that is if you have that many fans the case is probably new and designed for good air flow and you usually don't need to worry about intake if you have a good exhaust. It is just physics that air will rush in if not obstructed.

I understand why you think the PSU is the problem if the system is shutting down at those temps.

You probably know the top brands without being told but I would read up and these are the best places on the net for PSU reviews:

[H] Enthusiast --- enthusiast.hardocp.com

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - News

Uncomplicating the Complicated | Hardware Secrets

My opinion??? Corsair. Always top designs with the best parts with a decent price, practically always rebates and excellent customer service. They always offer to replace the unit if there are any problems even if its not the PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by svcglobal View Post

Bring down that BIOS voltage to 1.27, max. Probably your issue is related to temperature shutdown.
    That's well within spec.

IntelĀ® Coreā„¢2 Duo Desktop Processor E7200 - SLAVN

are you trying to scare me!!!

i had to read that twice + check the intel cpu specs!

apparentely 1.3625v is max, though i've heard people running them up to 1.45v!

just ordered me a silencer 750, rekon i'm gonna have to fabricate a divider to stop the psu intake being starved of air

Yes, it is in the INTEL manufactoring range but that info is not final.
    The max voltage is printed in its box and strongly dependent of the CPU batch.
    I did tests, Gigabyte board, with the E7200 up to 4.0GHz with BIOS @ 1.27v completely stable with OCCT and Prime95. And, if the cooler in question is not a great one, the CPU will be toasted.

See below the shipping box of my CPU with the info of 1.25v max. Check yours and see by yourself.

Last edited by svcglobal; 09-29-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added image
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Seeing that you posted a PCworld link I assume you are in the UK (like myself)

I would recommend getting a Corsair PSU from ebuyer. They are Seasonic or CWT built, quiet, 5 yr warranty and packed exceptionally well.

Cheap Computer Power Supplies at Ebuyer - Huge Range In Stock Now!

I've linked to them in price order - these are decent supplies.

Adding to SVCGlobal comments, the VID is the method the chip uses to "talk" to the bios and say I need x amount of volts. I believe (i may be wrong) that the max figure on the box, is max VID, ie for the batch.
    http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/318732.pdf

I have noted that Everest shows the chips programmed VID, although I don't know how accurate Everest is.

According to the data sheet, the Absolute Maximum Voltage for your chip is 1.45volts. (page 17)

Real Temp will give you your VID range too.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-29-2008 at 09:04 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Yes, it is in the INTEL manufactoring range but that info is not final.
    The max voltage is printed in its box and strongly dependent of the CPU batch.
    I did tests, Gigabyte board, with the E7200 up to 4.0GHz with BIOS @ 1.27v completely stable with OCCT and Prime95. And, if the cooler in question is not a great one, the CPU will be toasted.

See below the shipping box of my CPU with the info of 1.25v max. Check yours and see by yourself.

Intel is conservative but you saw for yourself the max voltage recommended is 1.3625volts. That is the same for most all 45 nm processors even though the boxes read 1.25 or 1.225 volts. This amount is echoed in the processors' datasheet.

2.6.2 DC Voltage and Current Specification

Table 4. Voltage and Current Specifications

Symbol Parameter Min Typ Max Unit Notes
    2, 10
    VID Range VID 0.8500 — 1.3625 V 1

As noted its section 2.6.2

This is also the maximum voltage to set in bios. With V-offset and V-droop the processor runs at lower voltage. As the OP states the voltages are 1.295 and spikes are restricted to 1.3250.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information