Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4

Ya, likely. But that is good, so maybe you just need a small bump to vcore, and maybe some other voltages. But likely only vcore since it is stable otherwise

Ya, you may just need a bit more vcore then since it tests out stable in everything else

Hey!

I recently bought my DS4, along with an E8400 and 2x2G Geil Ultra memory, 600W Nexus PSU. When I wanted to boot for the first time, the the system shutted down after 1 sec. I tried my old PSU (420W Chieftec), removed each memory module, placed them in different dimm... but the results were the same. I got my MB replaced, and still nothing changed, 1 sec and the shutdown.

Last I remowed the CPU, and this way the MB didn't shut down after 1sec, but of course I was not able to do anything with it.

What could be the problem? Old BIOS? Broken CPU? Maybe something with the PSU?

Did you try with only one stick of ram in slot one? Have you tested the ram in another board to be sure it is good?

Can you get into the BIOS at all with one stick, or two? It is likely BIOS settings and not the actual BIOS version (But you may want to update it once you get a bit stable)

If no luck with one stick, have you tried it outside of the case, off the tray on a box or wooden table? If you do this, connect ONLY CPU/Heatsink, One stick of Ram, and your GFX card. Nothing else.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

"Did you try with only one stick of ram in slot one?"
    I tried every possible ram setup, but it wont even get to the point where it checks the ram.

"Have you tested the ram in another board to be sure it is good?"
    My old MB uses DDR1 so I couldn't

"Can you get into the BIOS at all with one stick, or two? It is likely BIOS settings and not the actual BIOS version (But you may want to update it once you get a bit stable)"
    As I mentioned computer shuts down after 1 sec.

"If no luck with one stick, have you tried it outside of the case, off the tray on a box or wooden table?"
    Tried it in and outside, on like 3 different surfaces with 2 different PSU

"If you do this, connect ONLY CPU/Heatsink, One stick of Ram, and your GFX card. Nothing else." Been there, nothing different (1sec shutdown).

"Have you tried clearing the CMOS?"
    I did, but it wont even get to BIOS.

Bottom line is, the only thing that changed the 1 sec shutdown pattern is removing the CPU, or disconnecting its power. I tried to get my hands on an other LGA775 CPU for cheap, but all my friends use either notebooks, AMD systems, or old computers. Funny thing is I dont know wich part is reallly defected, so I don't know what to return to the store.

Well How did you try to clear the CMOS?

You really should either be borrowing some other ram or testing that ram on someone's PC to be sure it is ok and not the issue. That ram and CPU will work fine on that board, with any BIOS.

So if you cannot test the ram somehow, or test other ram in your system I would RMA the board, DOA boards happen. CPU's do as well, but not very often. If you can test your CPU in another board.

All BIOS's for this board support that CPU, at least all posted/available BIOS's do. F5 and up, you may have got shipped a board with a lesser BIOS but I doubt it.

You are plugging in Both Power plugs right? Have to ask, the ATX 12V 4 or 8 pin and the 24 pin right? Like I said I just have to ask, you would be surprised.

If you cannot somehow test parts you are just going to have to RMA something before you run out of time.

Well I have every aspect of the problem quad checked. PSU pins, ram, cpu, in-out switched and twisted. :) I'll take my CPU and RAM to a friend of mine today and will beg to be able to try it out in hes Ep35-DS4. Well... let's hope something will be defected, coz, I really start to think I am cursed or something. :)

You should also take your board, since you have a friend where you can do testing I would ask him to test his ram/cpu in your board as well incase you do not find your ram or CPU to be faulty

Keep in mind, p35 is SIMPLE to get going compared to P45.

You never answered me about CMOS clearing, there is several ways to do this and I think you may have just not got it fully cleared

Fortunately taking the CPU and the ram was enough. The CPU produced the same 1 sec shutdown error in the EP35 as in the two EP45 (I RMAd it once allready). So i guess we can be almost 100% sure, that this is a CPU problem.

So Gigabyte-Intel 1:0 :)

I did the clearing with the button on the bord, also removed the battery. Is there a better way?

Wow, very surprised to hear that! I rarely see a DOA CPU. (Added to my list)

YA, there is several ways, and a combo of all often may be needed. But that is a later post, if you would like many methods let me know and I Will post them tomorrow as I am about to leave. But sounds like it wont help today in this case as you have a Dead CPU

Intel is great on RMA, link them to this thread if you like. If you need the RMA info for Intel let me know

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information