Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Q-Flash guide

Default Q-Flash guide

Hello

I have read the Q-Flash guide as I am thinking of buying EP45-DS4, now I get the part that says you have to extract the .Fxx file from the downloaded .exe file from gigabyte and I see no .Fxx file. Please see attched file to output of winrar.

Furthermore, can I assume if you tell me the file is the file called 1MB .f8 file then from there can we see if my procedure is correct.

1. Copy ep45ds4.f8 and FlashSPI.exe to USB drive (FAT32)
    2. Reboot PC, and reboot to enter bios.

3. Load Optimized Defaults, set the ram voltage to the specified Voltage for your ram

4. Go into the Hard Disk Boot Priority Option In Advanced BIOS Features Page and select your USB drive as the first bootable drive.

5. Reboot.

6. Once it boots to the USB, you will see a Windows 98 screen, and then the DOS prompt.

7. Run flash utility by typing "flashSPI ep45ds4.f8" without the quotes at the DOS prompt

***DO I ALSO NEED TO USE THE HPUSBFW program to make the USB stick I intend to save the BIOS file bootable first?****

thanks

krishan
    Attached Images Attached Images Q-Flash guide-winrar-bmp 
    Last edited by krishcanag; 10-02-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: file name

Default Re: Q-Flash guide

hmm don't all EP45 boards already have Qflash included? Just keep hitting the "End" key on boot, and it'll take you straight to the utility, no need to boot from USB drive.

arctia
    At the topof this forum is a Q-Flash guide, which says how it is done, most of what I wrote is copied from there, you still have to make a FAT32, USB containing BIOS and FLASH EXE file plus maybe autoexec.bat file, not sure about that. Just becuase the P45 board has q-flash does not mean is automatic, i think.
    krishan

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

1. OK first off the .Fxx means .f0-100 BIOS file, which is explained in the thread. Sorry if I did not make it more clear. The xx is just a generic for the numbers of letters of the .f BIOS files

2. The ONLY file you need on your USB to flash with Qflash is the .fxx BIOS file, Or .f8 in your case.

As said above the USB Bootable method is only for those who have issues with certain USB Sticks.

All you need is a USB Stick with Only the .F8 BIOS file on it, none of the other files are needed at all. Then enter Qflash with the End Key at boot or F* on the MAIN BIOS page. Leave the USB stick in when rebooting to Qflash, meaning always have it plugged in. Dont try to plug it in later once inside qflash or it will not be seen.

Here is the guide, simplified for only what you need to do >>>>
    Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R oc attempt - Page 3 - TweakTown Forums

Hi

thanks for your answer.

So it is;

1. Copy BIOS file onto USB (fat32), make sure USB is first bootable in BIOS.

2. Reboot and enter Q-Flash

3. Select USB BIOS flash and press enter to flash

No doubt it would seem easier when I have a mobo in front of me, just wanted to understand gigabyte method before diving into it.

thanks

krishan

Na, no need to set USB bootable in the BIOS, that is only if you want to boot from a Bootable USB stick

You can leave your boot device settings and order like you normally have them

When you get into qflash you will see HDD 0 and maybe HDD 1 look in both until you find your BIOS file, select it and hit enter

Ya it would be easier to get if you was on the board!

Good luck, when are you getting the board?

In 2 weeks time, though I have to say I am still not 100% sure weather to go for EP45-DS4 or asus P5Q-Deluxe, the asus is made in china!!! gigabyte made in tawian, tawian has many more years of making h/w, quality might be an issue with china. But the asus I believe is faster at default settings and also overclocks better the the gigabyte mobo, but I want reliability first.

krishan

Remember that a good computer is not made only by a good motherboard, like Gigabyte.
    All the other components added like the fans & coolers, the case, the CPU, the OS, compatible RAM (speed, maker, setup) and the Power Supply are mandatory to get full stability.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

This is so true and another handicap a new PC builder faces if choosing gigabyte is that gigabyte mobo's don't seem to work as many memory modules as asus and also the tested memory modules list on the gigabyte website is far more limited.

krishan

Get Mushkin or G.Skill, or Geil and you will be fine. Not only do I think GA's list is dated, Several brands on their I personally note as incompatible and should be removed. And several should be added as well

Thread Information