Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My fastest overclock yet....

1. Talking My fastest overclock yet....

First, I couldn't believe it actually worked!!

Second, I couldn't believe that it passed 90 minutes of Orthos!! Like it barely even broke a sweat it seems. Core temps hovered around the mid to upper 60's celcius.

I initially had the FSB all the way up to 533Mhz, CPU at 2x (approx. 3.5 to 3.7 Ghz), Divider at 2.0 (I think), memory at 1066mhz w/ timings of 5-6-6-18. It was, well successful, I mean after I made all the settings it rebooted fine. But when Windows started to load I got BSOD's or blank screens. Apparently it's too fast for 32 bit Windows XP...????
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: My fastest overclock yet....

That just means you still had some timings off or not enough voltages if it would reboot but not fully load windows. Sounds like you are getting there!

I would suspect voltages being off since you have that ram looser then stock settings at rated speeds, unless you had some advanced memory timings too low.... Such as Static tRead Value under 7-10

3. Default Re: My fastest overclock yet....

I'm not too sure how to explain this.

I have gotten away with having the Advanced DRAM and Voltage settings set on MANUAL when I was doing stock or some light overclocking.

But for the higher powered overclockings I have had to have the DRAM and Voltage set on AUT0 for them to be successful. I got tired of trying to adjust everything over and over again only to have all the settings returned back to factory default after saving and rebooting.
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

4. Default Re: My fastest overclock yet....

Almost forgot...

Do you know any about the Load Line Calibration??? What should it be set at???

VimesUK is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDavisLeeSomething View Post
    Almost forgot...

Do you know any about the Load Line Calibration??? What should it be set at???
    I'm just so jealous of having that setting

6. Default Re: My fastest overclock yet....

I'm just so jealous of having that setting
    Okay...so you're jealous.

Ffffff..........I reckon you're being a tad sarcastic LOL

So...uh...do you know what it is for? I mean being an infant overclocker I do have some idea what it....uh....does.

Is it a good thing?
    Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-03-2008 at 02:14 AM.

7. Default Re: My fastest overclock yet....

Anyways....

On a different note....

I did manage to superclock successfully without having the Advanced DRAM settings on AUTO. You were right LSD. Had to play around with the timings. After 2 or 3 shots at it I finally did it.

AND...I managed a successfull superclock with the FSB @ 533 Mhz, 1:1 DRAM/FSB ratio , CPU at 6x to 3.17 GHz, and loading of XP. Went back and tightened the memory up a little bit and it continued to boot up and load XP.

Was thinking about testing it with Orthos. But, Since I'm not that anxious to frying my motherboard I decided not to with a 100% overclock. If that overclock wasn't daring enough, I changed the CPU x to 8 which brought the CPU up to 3.8 Ghz. It rebooted alright but when I hit the Delete key to get into the BIOS, my monitor went black with just a blinking cursor, probably cause by the tighter timings...right???
    Wound up having to clear the CMOS.

Any thoughts and or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

VimesUK is offline Junior Member

An example...

When you go into your BIOS and enter a v-core voltage of say 1.4v and you then go into Windows and read the v-core via several utility packages it might come back as 1.35. The difference between the two figures is known as vdrop.

However if you continue to monitor that v-core voltage whilst placing the CPU under 100% load you might notice another drop to, for example, 1.3v. That difference is known as vdroop.

The above values are made up just to illustrate the differences between vdrop / vdroop. Some boards are worse than others. Some people have modified their boards to "overcome" the issue.

If you knew, from previous testing, that the CPU was perfectly stable at 1.32v at 100% load then because of vdroop you could not set that value in the BIOS as you would be aware that the vcore set at 1.32v, which is fine for light load or idle, would then drop under load (vdroop) and so compromise the stability of your OS. So because of vdroop you would have to set a v-core higher than you might like to allow for the voltage drop under load.

Take a look at one of my graphs of the vcore...

...you will notice at the start and end of the loading test that the vcore is around 1.35v and during the loading period it drops to 1.31v.

You can find graphs of some peoples v-core that has flatlined due to using LLC, having stabalised the v-core voltage whilst under load.

For me, and many others, the higher that you need to go in vcore the greater the difference that the vdrop can be and also the vdroop.

So on some motherboards they introduced LLC, Load Line Calibration, a method to resolve the vdroop issue by stabilising the vcore whilst the CPU is under load.

However life is never as simple as that, in hoping that the vroop issue would be resolved.

Technical info on vdrop/vdroop...

Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums

less technical but an opinion why LLC should not be used...

AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

and another...

AnandTech: ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48

As we have discussed before Loadline Calibration is best left disabled, especially when using the newer 45nm CPUs. Our testing has shown these settings induce power instabilities, even when using lower voltages. In addition, when enabled the option sometimes requires more CPU voltage than would otherwise be necessary, meaning increased power dissipation and higher temperatures.
    I would have liked to have had the chance to try that LLC on my motherboard and Gigabyte have introduced it on a few BIOS updates on some boards but not mine, even though I know it could have the potential for problems I had some real issues with vdrop/vdroop on the board that I'm using. You must have not read my post that I placed today about the new beta BIOS which has just been released for my board and I hoped that LLC had been included.

But I am reminded as to why vdroop has been built into the design of the chipset by Intel and methods of stabilising the v-core might have a detrimental effect on the CPU.

However now that I have gone to the E8500, which uses less vcore, then the vdrop/vdroop issues are less apparent. They were more of a problem with my E2180, which required a higher v-core voltage.
    Last edited by VimesUK; 10-03-2008 at 05:21 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sounds like you are coming right along man. Ya at 3.8 either to tight of timings or Not enough volts.

Having to clear CMOS can happen often at a high clock, what Static tRead Value was you using when this happened?

You will have to be testing your ram settings as you change them with Memtest86+, then and only then when they pass you can try orthos. If your ram settings are not right orthos will fail right away, same applies with voltages not being right. So if you ram is memtest stable and orthos fails right away you need more voltage

10. Default Re: My fastest overclock yet....

I had the Static tRead at 6 I think. Can't remember. Maybe even 8.

I had the voltages manually set the same for both the 3.17 and the 3.8 oc

DDR ------ 2.1
    PCIe ----- +.1
    FSB ------ +.15
    MCH ------ +.2
    Vcore ----- 1.45

Did you ever have your P35 DQ6 FSB up to 533 Mhz???

Or did you have a Quad Core on it? In that case you could have only gotten it up to 340~350 Mhz right???

I would like to know how others have done with having the FSB overclocked that HIGH. 100% overclock !!!!! Scares me do death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information