Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S3 Sleep Problem With My P35 Board

Default Re: S3 Sleep Problem With My P35 Board

Yes - S3 sleep is set in the BIOS. Yes - Sleep in set in vista, not hibernate.

I cannot insert images into this post so below are the results you asked for:

powercfg -a
    shows:
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby <S3>Hibernate Hybrid Sleep
    The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby S1 <S1><S1>The System firmware does not support this standby state
    Standby S2 <S2><S2>The System firmware does not support this standby state

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    shows:
    C:\> (no data, just the C prompt)
    GA-P35-DS4, E6850 C2D 3.0ghz, G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Radeon HD3870, 650W Blue psu, Vista Ultimate

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Just so you know for later You can insert images anytime. Host them at tinypic.com, or imageshack.us photobucket.com and put the direct URL into img tags like shown here >>>

[img] Direct URL to Image Here [/img]

If you do not get what I mean by the above, quote this post and you will see the coding I use for the images below

So unless you copied some data wrong S3 is not set right, but I do think maybe you just did not copy it fully since it only says S1+2 not available. It should say S3 (Hibernate and hybrid Sleep) as you see here. That command "powercfg -a, as your likely know, shows the available sleep states for your system >>>

So I think your issue may be caused by the fact that you have nothing to wake your system up maybe part of your problem as well. The command powercfg -devicequery wake_armed shows devices that will be able to bring your out of sleep properly. Since you do not have any listed that is why you cannot come out of sleep. You either have some things set wrong in the BIOS, or do not have a S3 Compatible setup. Like you may need to use a PS/2 keyboard if you cannot get things to work properly with the correct BIOS settings for your hardware you have now

You should see something listed such as a PS2 mouse or keyboard like you see here >>

So what do you have set to wake your system in the BIOS power options? And do you what do you have set in the Integrated Peripherals page (post a pic please). And, do you have USB only keyboard's and mice?

Hi Lsdmeasap and thanks again for responding

what I posted is exactly - word for word - what was on the screens. Nothing added, nothing left out. I have PS2 keyboard & mouse, don't own USB mouse or keyboard. Resume by mouse and keyboard are disabled in BIOS - BUT - I enabled resume by mouse on one of my attempts. This woke up the computer but with the same results - no monitor. I have tried every conceivable setting in the BIOS power options, all with no success. Believe me, I have been attempting to fix this for months.

Integrated Peripherals:

SATA Raid/AHCI - disabled
    SATA Port 0-3 Native - enabled
    USB 2.0 - both options enabled
    USB keyboard & mouse - disabled
    Legacy USB storage - enabled
    Azalia codec - disabled
    Onboard 1394 - enabled
    Onboard HW LAN - enabled
    Onboard LAN Boot ROM - disabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE device - enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - IDE
    Serial & Paralled ports - disabled
    GA-P35-DS4, E6850 C2D 3.0ghz, G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Radeon HD3870, 650W Blue psu, Vista Ultimate

Well since you have nothing showing in powercfg -devicequery wake_armed that means nothing at that time was set to wake your system. So I think you first need to set something in The Power Section of the BIOS to be able to wake your board. Such as Power on by Mouse and or Keyboard, and or USB

Then once you do that, the powercfg -devicequery wake_armed command should show you a keyboard or mouse.

As for vista and your monitor, sorry I forgot to mention this! There is a few thing in Power options you may want to shut off or change, advanced power options that is. Those would be adaptive display, and link state power management as shown below >>>

I take it you do know this, and have not used it right? >>>
    The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool

I dont think that has anything to do with it, just thought I would ask

If that does not help, and you do eventually get a device to show as being able to wake your system all I could think it would be is your ram. It is on my NON compatible list. As S3 sleep is fixed for your BIOS. I was just using it at 4Ghz in my P35-DS4 with BIOS F11 and F12

Enabled wake by keyboard & mouse in BIOS, Set adaptive display and link state power management to Off, reboot computer for good measure, still have the problem.

I know about the problem with the disk cleanup tool and sleep/hibernate with Vista and have never used it.

The only thing left I can think to do is change the RAM. What do you recommend?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Did you ever get something to show as being able to wake your system?

Ya, I think a few need to be pulled and a few added to that list. Brands I recommend for GA boards are Mushkin (Black or Blue) G.Skills, GEIL and then several other less quality and $$ brands.

Have you tried a clean install lately?

After setting wake by mouse in BIOS I was so aggravated that it still would not work that I never checked for it.

This IS a clean install.

I'll try some new RAM. Thanks for all of your help.

BTW, since I am buying new RAM, can this board take 2GB modules? I am looking at getting one set of these: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Well please check, otherwise it is a issue for sure.

New ram may or may not fix the issue, And likely will not be any different if your ram does pass memtest86+. I was just at a loss for other reasons for it not working.

I do know it does work in a stable, properly setup vista. As I said I was using it in my Vista Ultimate, GA-P35-DS4

Yes, that ram will work fine in P35, and is a good choice
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-07-2008 at 12:28 PM.

spec is offline Member

I had a similar issue with the same RAM when I upgraded with 4GB.
    For the TWIN2X2048, the reference voltage at 1066Mhz is 2.2, but you can run this on 2.1v.

For me I changed the following settings and it's worked...

CPU Clock Ratio _____9 (You must set according to your CPU)
    CPU Host Clock Control__[Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)____266 (You must set according to your CPU
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)________ [100]
    C.I.A. 2____Disabled__________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)__Manual_____ [4.00A]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1066______1066
    DRAM Timing Selectable____Manual___ SPD ____ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Turbo]
    CAS Latency Time___________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay____5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay___5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)______15
    Refresh to ACT Delay______[52]________ 56 (Corsair have run Dual channel tests at 56 for RAM SPD with 52)

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_____Normal______ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control_____Normal________ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control ____Normal________[+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control____Auto (Leave this at Auto)

Also reset all DDR termination/reference voltage settings - Set them to Auto.

For me, the key was setting Refresh to ACT Delay to 56 & setting
    CPU Voltage control back to Auto... I had initially set it to 1.38 after reading Lsdmeasap's detailed Overclocking guide thread. After a few tests I checked my ref voltage for a Q6600 on G0 stepping was 1.25v, so I set it back to Auto. The higher voltage worked fine till I added new RAM, for some reason the board didn't like the combination.
    You can give this a try if you are still trying to solve the problem. Great if it works...
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Thanks spec - will give it a try.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information