Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory recommendations

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Memory recommendations

They sure will man, and they will work great. 8GB will take you a few to get going though for sure, but I can help no problems

Mushkin is GREAT in Gigabyte boards, and D a m n Fine Quality Ram

kpo6969 is offline Member

GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
    i7-4790K
    Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
    Asus GTX 970 Strix
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Ocz Vector 150 240GB Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Fractal Design R4
    Noctua NH-U14S
    SeaSonic 660XP2
    Creative Extreme Music
    U2412M
    Windows 10 x64 Pro

Hey, thanks for pointing out that video card. The reviews posted on Newegg are awesome......97% 5/5 with 31 posted. Do you have any idea whether it will fit easily into the Antec Sonata Plus case I'll be using? Several of the reviews mention that the card is *big*.

quepos, I don't know if that 9800Gt will fit , most probably, but you should look closer at the ATI 4850. It is the better buy than the 9800GT . In my opinion. It is the same price as the 9800GT, if you look somewhere other than NewEgg !! Keep in mind that the 9800GT is "just" a 8800GT. They are identical ! The ATI 4850 wipes the floor in most games compared to the 8800gt / 9800gt. The only downside to the ATI part is that some models from certain manufacters are hotter and louder than the Nvidia card. Hope my two cents help ! I got one to replace my old Nvidia 7900GS and cannot complain.

quepos,

As for a ~$100 card for "light gaming" go for the Nvidia 9600GT which is just a fraction faster than ATI's last generation flagship the 3870.

Happy building.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmark View Post
    quepos,

As for a ~$100 card for "light gaming" go for the Nvidia 9600GT which is just a fraction faster than ATI's last generation flagship the 3870.

Happy building.
    oldmark, thanks or your helpful input. The reviews on that Newegg.com - ASUS EN9800GT ULTIMATE/HTDP/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards cited by kpo above mostly include a mention of "make sure it fits. "since I've already ordered the case(see beginning of my thread) at a best-I've-seen price, I will be working w/in those parameters.

Cheers

Good luck in picking a card! I need to get me a new midrange card, I dont game. But my Sapphire X1950PRO GDDR3 is just getting old I think.

What would be it's counterpart today?

Or would it be just as good to get 2 cheaper DDR2 cards and crossfire them? I am using a 20" Monitor, but again no gaming at all.

I been thinking about crossfire just because I can and it would be nice for looks as well. Anyone know what would be good choices for DDR2 and DDR3 256MB Sapphire full length cards?

Lsdmeasap,

There is no real counterpart to your old "midrange" X1950PRO today as the 'budget" cards of this year's generation are exponentially faster.

If you want to crossfire two cheap cards (sub $100) for the fun of it go for the brand new Radeon HD 4670.

SAPPHIRE HD 4670 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E

They are not big or impressive but a single card should handle "light gaming" in 1280 x 1024 with no problems. Here is a picture (scroll down) of what a crossfire setup would look like with the 4670.

PC Perspective - AMD Radeon HD 4670 512MB Review - Good gets cheaper

If you want bigger ,meaner, hotter, louder and only slightly faster cards, pay an extra $40 each and get the pervious generation leader the radeon HD 3870 in any flavour you want. There are now many !

SAPPHIRE HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink

The next step up would be the HD4850 but here we are getting closer to $200 and one single card will be powerfull enough for "light gaming" at 1440 x 900. Crossfire at this point becomes problematic. There are better options, unless you want to use your computer as a room heater !! HaHa!

Hope this is helpfull.

more reading if you want it

X-bit labs - PowerColor PCS HD4670 512MB GDDR3 Graphics Card: Light-Weight Champion

AnandTech: AMD Radeon HD 4670: Ruling from Top to Bottom

PC Perspective - AMD Radeon HD 4670 512MB Review - Good gets cheaper
    Last edited by oldmark; 10-05-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks, I do not game but I do use 1680X1050 Resolution. And I would like a Large card

SO I guess I need to spend more then I was thinking. I dont like the dual slot size so much, but the long cards I do. Guess I will have to ebay around a bit, as I would also like to for SURE get cards with Blue PCB

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Thanks, I do not game but I do use 1680X1050 Resolution. And I would like a Large card

SO I guess I need to spend more then I was thinking. I dont like the dual slot size so much, but the long cards I do. Guess I will have to ebay around a bit, as I would also like to for SURE get cards with Blue PCB
    I know for sure Sapphire is making 4850's w/ blue PCBs, and most 4850's that I have seen have been pretty long (my 1GB Sapphire 4850 is long AND blue). I know how you feel in that regard, I always stick with GA mobo's, but I have a huge window on my case so I have to consider how new components are going to look together before I buy. Nvidia cards tend to come w/ a blue pcb more often, but then you can't crossfire. I realize a 4850 may be a little more of a gamer card than you need, but it would still be good to have for HD video playback and other applications @ 1680X1050. They are starting to get pretty cheap too man.

quepos747, most modern video cards (except maybe some of the budget stuff) are at the point where they are averaging quite a bit longer than previous gen stuff. I would not worry too much about it fitting into any decently designed mid-tower or larger case; you should be cool since you aren't using a desktop/ HTPC case. If you really want to make sure you will have enough clearance, make sure that your case dosn't have internal hardware that will overlap the motherboard (I REALLY doubt it, Antec makes decent stuff) like drive mount cages etc. My 1 Gb Sapphire, although long, IS NOT wider than my GA-EP45C-DS3R. If you want to compare our case dimensions, I use a Raidmax Sagitta mid-tower and everything fits fine. Remember that you will want a little clearance at the end of your GPU for the power connector.

Also @ quepos747, I meant to mention earlier (and I don't think anyone else did) that since you are using a 32-bit OS it will only recognize about 3.5GB of memory (and I think that includes your GPU's memory in addition to system RAM). I'm in the same boat, but I havn't even bothered to look at what it can actually see in XP Pro because everything works fine. I know I'll need to get into a 64-bit OS eventually, so I don't mind having the hardware in place ahead of time. You will obviously still have more useable memory than if you went to 2X1 GB, and will be more future ready. I just didn't want you to be disappointed when you got everything up and running if you were not aware of that.
    Last edited by Rooster45; 10-06-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information