Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweaking ga-p35-ds4 rev.2.0 / Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Tweaking ga-p35-ds4 rev.2.0 / Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by dosign View Post
    Thank you very much for the info. Itīs now clear for me. Just installed the latest version and the boards driver situation is still the very same as shown up, no change what so ever. DriverAgent is telling that there are more resent versions available..

BTW. it only supports AGP and not PCI-e?? Just the other day downloaded ATI drivers so those should be the newest. Iīll do the install again as i remember it should be done after the rest of the chipset driver install.
    Driver Agent is BUNK. Not only does it find things you do not need, nor could ever install. They tell you things to try to get you to buy something.

See, here is a scan of my PC (Same crap, all mine are the latest yet they offer "Better") >>>

Ok. With a little bit of tweaking (cleaning the registry etc.) i managed to get the latest chipset installer program to install the latest driver version for PCI-e (according to the release notes that shows during the install) and not for AGP that it gave me at first (if i recall right that driver was for chipset X48 according to the release notes. That was a bit strange for me since the chipset driver packet from the Gigabytes site for P35 is not ment to be for X48 too or is it?).

Even now itīs not installing those PCI Express root drivers. Should it do it in the first place is my next question?? Since if so then i may have to do a clean OS install again, it doesnīt seem to get it right like this. I havenīt ever needed before to wipe off already installed chipset drivers so if there is something to know about the procedure before you do it, it would be nice to know now or else iīve to do a clean OS install again to make sure to get it right. As it should have gone in the first place.

Then again all these problems might be related to the fact that the boardīs s/pdif is not working and because of that i may not get this board stable with Server 2008 64-bit???
    It is non specific, it will scan and install what driver are needed for your system AGP or PCI are both included. And yes, X48, P35/45 all use the same install package. It is a universal type installer.

Ya, A clean install may be best. Be sure to install SP1 before you install any drivers though. Then once it is installed you can install Chipset, GFX, sound, ect drivers

Does those PCI Express root drivers come with Intel RAID drivers; that will not install because my "system does not meet the install requirements"?

Is that because iīve only one SATA HDD in use since thatīs the only mechanical reason i can think of besides of broken chips?
    PCI express is included yes, HDD should have nothing to do with it.

I think may since using Driver Agent and possibly installing incorrect drivers you may want/need to do a clean install

Ok, itīs a first time for me to actually believe these DriverScans since i didnīt know what else to do. I think this OS tryout has got SP1 already since it will not get it from Windows Update. Everest, i think, told that i have SP1..

Are you saying that by installing Intel SATA RAID driver i get PCI Express root drivers? Thatīs a big problem, never got that driver installed in any of my OS because of that mentioned reason and have been using only 1 SATA HDD on this board so havenīt really needed RAID function at all. Just wondering are those needed for Server 2008 to be stable since all other OSīs have been stable?
    GA-EP35-DS4 rev. 2.1 BIOS F6a
    G.SKILL F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK
    Intel Pentium D 940 (OC YESS!)
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    WD RAPTOR 36Gb with 12cm fan (no OC)
    Corsair HX620W
    Razer DeathAdder firmware 1.25 driver 1.08 (no OC)
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v.1.0 (no OC)
    Water to keep cool prosessor, air for passive copper heatsink
    with 12cm fan for graphics card, one 12cm fan for chipset and voltage sinks
    No more Windows XP Pro + all fixes + maintained well (no OC)
    Samsung (some) DVD-R/RW (no OC)

BTW. I have been now reading about memory issues on Gigabyteīs boards and this G.Skill as a brand has 3.rd place and Mushkin is supposed to be the best in compatibility. 64-bit OS should also be used with just one 2GB stick, i have understood.... so that might be the real reason for these reboots. Checked my memory with Memtest86+ 2.01 and it passed 2 times, no errors.
    Last edited by dosign; 10-05-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

You can easily see what Version you have by hitting the windows key + R and type in Winver, then you will see if it says SP1 or not.

No, I did not mention installing RAID drivers at all, what I was referring to was the Intel Chipset package. Not RAID drivers at all. Somehow I guess I may have confused you somewhere? If so, sorry. The chipset package is what I meant would install proper PCI Bus drivers

Mushkin is great, but that is my personal opinion. Nothing official, as you see it is not even on the QVL list. But yes, I do think it is best for gigabyte boards. G.Skill is just as good compatibility wise, but depending on stick choice may not be of such great quality

2GB would only be "Maybe" needed to install Vista, 32 or 64bit. Sometimes 2x2 at install can cause issues is all. After install you can use 2x2 or more, especially with 64Bit

4-8GB or more can be used in 64bit. So you are fine with using more for sure

Yeah, i got a little confused but now itīs clear that this is a memory issue for me. I do have SP1, that was a very neat way to check it. You did mention that you could help me adjusting my timings for better, do you know how to tweak my memory settings (in Windows or BIOS) for more compatible? Iīve read that itīs possible somehow but itīs out of my knowledge. You have been a great help so far.
    Last edited by dosign; 10-06-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

Have to stress out that iīve not been using Vista before and itīs workarounds arenīt familiar to me. By reading posts about a varies issues that might be related iīve notised that iīve set up my system to a quite minimum and i wonder if that might be causing problems. Iīve set this S08 on a partition a bit less than 20GB and it has a 2.345 MB pagefile for all my (1) disks thatīs got two partitions. On the other hand people just say to leave things the way Windows wants and itīs ok.

A thing i notised now when playing around with settings and getting to understand the way Vista works that by stopping some prosesses in GUI, it didnīt seem to actually stop those prosesses according to the Task Manager so i did it manually from there again and a prosess stop takes a very long time to be updated in the Resource Monitor, i mean a really long time at least for me! Is this all normal behaviour for Vista?

BTW. the random reboot happens like this: suddenly thereīs a lot of disk writing and by that i know that a reboot is about to happen. To where does that indicate? To me thatīs related to the memory/program usage in someway or an other. Iīm running now without ATIīs CCC (i managed to install 8.6 thatīs seems to be working ok and didnīt bother to try any resent versions) and windowīs DEP (itīs ON only for windows and essentials) so letīs see where this leads me to..
    Last edited by dosign; 10-06-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

WOW 2MB pagefile! That is far to low! I would advise you to set it to at least 1.5-2GB

Not sure exactly what you mean by your Stopping processes comment, but things should close when you close them same as XP

The disk writing write before a BSOD could be DrWatson writing down errors anc error causes. Have you looked thru event viewer to see if you can find any possible causes?

Ya, I can help you for sure with your BIOS memory settings. Please Fill this in with what you have now and I will post back some suggested changes >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Still reboots without ATIīs CCC and DEP almost cripled.. I left PC running on the Windows LogOn page when i was out and it had rebooted while i got home after 2 hours.. not so good?

.. oops, that was GB and not MB ..

MBīs would have rised my eyebrows really high! īD

I mean that this Vista is closing appīs really slowly. Itīs clearly visible from Task Manager, i noticed about 20sec delay until it got updated in the Resource Monitor and thatīs alot!

Iīll have to come back to posting back your wish list (but before christmas) since i need to get my printer up and running first. How do i get those hidden memory adjustments shown in BIOS again?? Havenīt never checked those out so donīt know how to right now.
    Last edited by dosign; 10-06-2008 at 11:28 PM.
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

I would try a clean install, I think after many installs of drivers and various apps you just have a messed up/crippled install now. Save yourself some headache and start over properly now that you have a bit more knowledge of the correct drivers

You should not have anything hidden in the MIT section of your BIOS since you are using the latest BIOS. You do flash properly right? IE: Load and apply optimized defaults after you flash before you go back in and make adjustments? If not, you have to do this. But the hotkey, so you know, is Control + F1 on the MAIN screen of the BIOS.

Please do flash properly though >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

No problems with BIOS flashes, ever, when you just follow the prosess info. :)

Starting to really like this OS, itīs behaving like a proper OS should. After a bit of snooping around iīve now printer and HSDPA-USB stick working and that was pretty fast comparing to W2K, in less than 24 hours.. so i can soon give you your wish list. Yes, you have a point in telling me about the clean install (even though i did it according to the manual as always) but iīm inthegroove now!! (for my girlfriend i would say: slap me but donīt stop me, babe.. =))
    Last edited by dosign; 10-07-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information