Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweaking ga-p35-ds4 rev.2.0 / Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit

Default Tweaking ga-p35-ds4 rev.2.0 / Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit

After using this board almost a year now and only once in a while (like 15 times all together?) used the submitted OC program to OC the board those 20% thatīs the max in easy mode (s/pdif has not been working but not RAMīed yet) with XP Pro (32-bit) mainly. Some Linux too but not very much.

Boardīs been ok otherwise (iīm gonna switch in the near future to a board that runs well with Solaris too..) and i have now installed a fresh Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit tryout to get familiar with it.

I just donīt know how to stop these random reboots that started right away and occur many times a day with this new Server 2008 tryout install.. it had no problems with XP-64 (64-bit) or Server 2003 (32-bit) that i also used for a while. I do know something about PCīs but iīm not a guru in everything..

So how do you tweak these to like each other to work well?

Iīm using 2 x 1GB G.skill memory (No mistakes in any OS, havenīt checked this Server 2008 yet but i doubt that a bit (right?) and iīm using these memories in dual mode, not in their actually rated specs because i want to maintain the general stability of my PC) and almost a year old now, bought those as a new ones from the shop (i did try to raise Volts manually just a bit for the very first time like ever for me with this problem now but no help at all) and havenīt mostly changed my HW during this time.

Only Corsair HX620W PSU is 6 months old, (seems to be holding Volts in every rail just fine) bought as a new one from the shop. Used Nexus for a while because of a high pitched sound (donīt know where it came from) that was related to mouse movements (USB problem?) and that was really annoying in a quite silent PC.. Using only one WD Raptor 36GB SATA I HDD and USB disks or sticks sometimes too. Prosessor is a Pentium D 940 now and 6 months old, bought as a new one from a shop and itīs water cooled too (really well, temperature is less than 10C in idle. I know, it shouldnīt be used that cold for the little bit raised electricity bill..).

Everything has been really OK with other OSīs.. with this Server 2008 iīm using Intel Virtualization thatīs been switched on from the f13 BIOS now. Donīt know how to check if Intel VTīs working at all the way it should.. havenīt yet installed any virtualization program for this new OS build because of these reboots.
    Last edited by dosign; 10-04-2008 at 06:58 PM.
    GA-EP35-DS4 rev. 2.1 BIOS F6a
    G.SKILL F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK
    Intel Pentium D 940 (OC YESS!)
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    WD RAPTOR 36Gb with 12cm fan (no OC)
    Corsair HX620W
    Razer DeathAdder firmware 1.25 driver 1.08 (no OC)
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v.1.0 (no OC)
    Water to keep cool prosessor, air for passive copper heatsink
    with 12cm fan for graphics card, one 12cm fan for chipset and voltage sinks
    No more Windows XP Pro + all fixes + maintained well (no OC)
    Samsung (some) DVD-R/RW (no OC)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Tweaking ga-p35-ds4 rev.2.0 / Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit

Well if you are running your ram under spec, then it could still have some settings wrong. Need some help with suggested settings for your ram? If ya do let me know.

And so you know, at spec they should be 100% stable

I would imagine your ram settings is the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well if you are running your ram under spec, then it could still have some settings wrong. Need some help with suggested settings for your ram? If ya do let me know.

And so you know, at spec they should be 100% stable

I would imagine your ram settings is the issue

The rams are in the very same specs that were in those when i bought them. Factory set for those. Havenīt changed the factory timings at all even though itīs said that i can use them more tight, bought those as tight ones but havenīt had any real need for tweaking.

Do you think it might be the real problem with Server 2008? I can of course try that, why not?
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

Ahh, well sorry. I misread you then, I thought you were underclocking them

Have you ran memtest86+ on them? You should always on each stick one at a time when you buy the, but since you have been using them without issue I would say they are likely fine. But I would test them now still incase maybe one is dying (p35 must have this version 2.01) >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

It could be a server 08 issues, do you have all the latest drivers installed? And Intel chipset package?

I did test the sticks well but not separately, thanks for the tip and link too. :)

The driver situation is now this because of a different versions of Intelīs site and Gigabyteīs site as a driver for P35. Using Gbīs chipset driver now for this board. Not sure yet which ones to use for ICH9.

Do you know which ones and from where to get those for free? Canīt get those anywhere iīve tried for free. (not Intelīs yet because of the different version of chipset driver for P35)
    Attached Images Attached Images Tweaking ga-p35-ds4 rev.2.0 / Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit-da-jpg 
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

So as you can see iīm in the middle of refining my driver situation for this new build but itīs quite difficult with all these reboots. Just rebooted when i was typing my previous message and was just about to hit the post button.. so had to do that post again..

Was hoping if someone would have had similar situation and found a solution already. Have been working with this issue for days now and getting a little bit tired of it.

But iīll try that separate memorytesting, how knows if one is bad?
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

You can get Intel's chipset driver for ICHxR here >>>
    Just choose Vista 64* and download the EXE and it will scan and install only the drivers that need updated. This is Version 9.0.0.1008>>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Here is the direct link, incase you get some issues (Which there often is there) >>>
    Confirm Download

The reason gigabyte's differs is that they just repack it. And the reason you may have issues at intel sometimes or when you choose certain system is because Intel wants only the Motherboard manufacturers to host them for users. They are trying to quit letting people get them there.

And you may also always get them at softpedia for free as well, Actually as you see a newer version is available there now 9.0.0.1011>>>
    Download Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 9.0.0.1011 - The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility installs Windows* INF files to the target system - Softpedia

It is always a universal package and will only update what drivers it needs per that version, supports the following >>>
    * Microsoft Windows* 2000
    * Microsoft Windows* XP
    * Microsoft Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition
    * Microsoft Windows Server* 2003
    * Microsoft Windows Server* 2003 x64 Edition
    * Microsoft Windows Vista* and SP’s
    * Microsoft Windows Server* 2008
    * Microsoft Windows Server* 2008 x64 Edition

Thank you very much for the info. Itīs now clear for me. Just installed the latest version and the boards driver situation is still the very same as shown up, no change what so ever. DriverAgent is telling that there are more resent versions available..

BTW. it only supports AGP and not PCI-e?? Just the other day downloaded ATI drivers so those should be the newest. Iīll do the install again as i remember it should be done after the rest of the chipset driver install.
    Last edited by dosign; 10-05-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

Ok. With a little bit of tweaking (cleaning the registry etc.) i managed to get the latest chipset installer program to install the latest driver version for PCI-e (according to the release notes that shows during the install) and not for AGP that it gave me at first (if i recall right that driver was for chipset X48 according to the release notes. That was a bit strange for me since the chipset driver packet from the Gigabytes site for P35 is not ment to be for X48 too or is it?).

Even now itīs not installing those PCI Express root drivers. Should it do it in the first place is my next question?? Since if so then i may have to do a clean OS install again, it doesnīt seem to get it right like this. I havenīt ever needed before to wipe off already installed chipset drivers so if there is something to know about the procedure before you do it, it would be nice to know now or else iīve to do a clean OS install again to make sure to get it right. As it should have gone in the first place.

Then again all these problems might be related to the fact that the boardīs s/pdif is not working and because of that i may not get this board stable with Server 2008 64-bit???
    Last edited by dosign; 10-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

Does those PCI Express root drivers come with Intel RAID drivers; that will not install because my "system does not meet the install requirements"?

Is that because iīve only one SATA HDD in use since thatīs the only mechanical reason i can think of besides of broken chips?
    Club3D HD2400PRO 256MB
    Corsair HX620W

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information