Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: So...what is a Chipset Strap????

1. Question So...what is a Chipset Strap????

I must have read close to a hundred different post/articles within the last 2 days and I still have the same understanding of a "strap" as when I first started out.

Must have some esoteric meaning that only 10 people on the planet know about.

Are they modes of frequency the NB uses to communicate with the CPU or RAM?

Are they a physical circuit or address in the NB or FSB??

Is a "strap" to the NB = "ticks/timings" to the RAM???

**sigh**
    Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-05-2008 at 12:13 AM.
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

2. Default Re: So...what is a Chipset Strap????

Alright. I just made a breakthrough that gives me a better understanding of straps.

On my board, if I have the Memory Multiplier (a.k.a Divider) set on 4.0+ it means the memory is on the 800 strap at 4x the FSB speed. When I hit the Page Up key it lowers the values to either 3.33, 3.30, 2.4 or 2.0. On the other hand, if I have the Memory Multiplier set on 4.0~ (1066 strap) and then hit the Page Up key it lowers the values to either 3.00 or 2.50 (if I hit the Page Up key again it goes to AUTO).

So, in other words the Memory Multiplier (Divider) values of 4.0+, 3.33, 3.20, 2.40, and 2.0 are all on the 800 strap. The Divider values of 4.0~, 3.00 and 2.50 are all on the 1066 strap. I assume the reason why I don't have the 4.0# (1333 strap) option available is because I'm using only DDR2 1066 memory modules.

All of the Divider values have their own respective FSB/DRAM ratio regardless of what strap they're on.

I reckon that the choice of strap along with it's corresponding Divider value plays big role when overclocking, especially when overclocking the memory.

Straps have their respective latencies too and how they reflect performance and stability is something that I am endeavoring to understand.

So....I'll search on....

Any comments, suggestions, etc...would be graciously welcome.

Thanks.
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: So...what is a Chipset Strap????

It is all about what FSB you are using, nothing to do with your ram. Of course you may or may not be able to use a certain strap if your ram will not go that high though. But it is the FSB that determines the strap you are using.

Here is some reading on this >>>
    FSB Strap explained...

FSB Strap for noobs. - XtremeSystems Forums

Secrets of the i965 based Asus P5B and chipset strap uncovered. - The Tech Repository Forums

Is there a table of which memory multipliers are available at each MCH strap? Probably be a PITA to compile, as I assume it's different for each different northbridge...
    I'm thinking, in advance of having the board (X48-DQ6):
    Q9550 @ 412 FSB x 8.5 = 3.5G cpu
    400 MCH strap
    412 x 2.66 (if it's available @ 400 MCH) = 1.096G mem
    Am particularly fascinated by your comment elsewhere that you wanna 'get off the strap', i.e., 401 FSB @ 400 strap will be much more successful than 400 FSB @ the same strap... Latency collision?

I'll write one up, only take a few. Gimmie a second to reboot and I will post back. It is the same no matter the NB, but in P35 I do know you can choose with or without a strap like 2.00 or 2.00x something you cannot do it P45

I am not sure why that is, but I know it is true, especially with the 400 Strap, not so much with the 333 for some reason.

Available Northbridge/MCH Straps

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-06-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks much! AHA! I see that my 2.66 IS available from 400 strap!

Thread Information