Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: EX38-DQ6 8GB G Skil PQ Ram

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX38-DQ6 8GB G Skil PQ Ram

That is about what it should be, mine is 3.2160

Did you try 150-300 Skew? Yes, less may not work as well as more and as you noted when you are trying that you are also lowering vcore? So that is not going to work as a test methodology

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    That is about what it should be, mine is 3.2160

Did you try 150-300 Skew? Yes, less may not work as well as more and as you noted when you are trying that you are also lowering vcore? So that is not going to work as a test methodology
    I only altered skew after finding it was stable at 1.387 using the 50ps i had in place. I wasnt testing other skews with my other earlier results.

Ive notched the voltage back up to 1.4v to be sure and reverted my bios version back to F4.

What i dont really understand is why there are far more bios releases for the X38 gigabyte varient of my board and not the ex38?

If we can sum this up, what exactly more can I try, so far i have :

1- Raise MCH Skew
    2- Try 4gb rather than 8gb.

I'm not sure how im going to be able to diagnose this quad bios problem, it seems to happen even with stock settings occationally..
    Last edited by Dodgexander; 11-29-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Well the X38 is a older design so they make more BIOS updates to it in a attempt to keep it up to date with EX38

Well? Not sure, maybe that board just does not like 8GB of that ram?

Have you added a NB fan? Redone the paste under there? Do you still have issues even with very loose timings?

The board will do flex-mode have you tested with 6GB at all yet?

Hey Lsdmeasap, its been a while since my last reply, but i have been testing what you suggested, different mch voltage, 4gb of ram etc.

It doesnt seem to matter what i do, the board just likes to reset itself so often.

So im in the market for a new board. What board will cope with 500FSB with 1000mhz RAM? Will an EP45 cope better than what i have at the moment? What would you reccomend (taking your gigabyte cap of also:))

Also, do you think the input electrics could be a problem? how can i diagnose this? we live in a old house and the electrics are a bit dodgey...
    Last edited by Dodgexander; 12-09-2008 at 07:45 AM.

GA-EP45-UD3R or P

Or GA-EP45-DS4 or DQ6

Or if you want the same easy BIOS get a GA-EP35 or P35-DS4 or DQ6

Aside from GA boards? I dont know what is good these days, I used to be all Asus but they left a bad taste in my mouth and have not used them for years? So I really could not say, I have been using Gigabyte boards for about the past 4-5 years now

You could buy a UPS and see if that stops your issues with power if you think power is too blame

Well, i'm beyond confused lol. I bought a board which costs excess than the P45's out today! Is there any reason to believe why my board shouldnt be capabable of 8gb? You mentioned it may just be my board?

Ive been testing a while and havent had a restarts on 449x9, but i feel it will come back again. Im wondering if the SATA mode has anything to do with it as at the moment i have just IDE Emulation enabled.
    Last edited by Dodgexander; 12-10-2008 at 05:03 AM.

I mentioned it may be your board, as in a faulty board. Not that the board itself as a version/model was a issues

Since that ram is not on the QVL it may or may not be compatible. Have you asked G.Skill if they have tested in GA-EX38 at all yet?

SATA Settings are likely not a issue, do disable any controllers you are not using though

Yes! This is the reason I bought this ram. I needed 8GB but wanted to make sure it worked. After browsing various memory manufactures test logs, i found that g-skill had tested the ram with 4 Dimms. They even posted the bios settings they used (all on Auto apart from 5,5,5,15).

Here is the Product PDF showin my board as compatible:

http://www.gskill.us/145.pdf

I notice however on Gigabytes EX38-DQ6 product page, the QVL does not certify any 2GB DDR Dims for single or dual channel apart from DDR 800.

Also, Gigabytes QVL does not mention anything about 4 Dimms or not, it has single channel and dual channel, which means they may just be used 2 Dimms to test!

Well the QVL's are normally never updated. And they surely did test more then 2 sticks

Your board should be fine with 8GB, so I am not sure what the problem could be other then settings or incompatibility maybe

I am sure we went thru the "Give me your settings" thing already, but lets see it again. Let me see what you are trying and I will advise back. You have tested each stick one by one at stock speeds with memtest86+ to be sure none are faulty right?

Hi Mate. I realise its been a while since I last got back to you, but I trust youll be back from your brill reviews soon.

As an update for you, after all the stress testing etc, I finally found a way to repeat a memory error on my pc. Surprisingly enough when playing World of Warcraft. The program quits maybe once every 6 hours with an unknow exception '0x0402e32 cannot be read' error message. Its clearly a memory error.

SO, in the good ol annoying process of elimination, i have been swapping sticks around:

1- Tried the first to pair of 2x2GB Modules in Red Sockets.Error Exists
    2- Tried the second pair of 2x2GB Modules in Red Sockets. Error Exists
    3- Tried the second pair of 2x2GB Modules in the Yellow Sockets. Error Exists.
    4- Upped MCH voltage by +0.30 and FSB by +0.05. Error Still exists.

Now this suggest to me one of a few things.

- The NB of my board is faulty
    - All memory sockets of my board are faulty(or at least 1 yellow and 1 red is)
    - My memory simply wont work due to incompatibility.

Having done some more research, looking at various QVL Lists in desperration to find a board that is GUARENTEED to run DDR2 1000 I find that even in most cases where a 2GB DDR2 1000 module is listed, its mostly only for use in 2 sockets only, not the full four.
    More importantly however, there are a few QVL's (Asus P5Q Pro for instance) that has tested the new PK gskill memory and has deemed it to be incompatible when using four slots. Now if that memory isnt compatible, surely thats why I am receiving problems?

To round up, I found that GSKILL also make a 2x1GB version of my memory that 'coincidently' uses the same product page as my 2x2GB varient, therefore i Suspect very much when they tested my board to be compatible, the only tested 1GB Modules.

My question really is, if my memory will not run at 800mhz with slack timings without coming up with an error, does this then suggest the motherboard is at fault?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information