Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz on ga-ex38-ds4 - help please!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz on ga-ex38-ds4 - help please!

No need for that, I answer posts when I get in here in the order they were posted.

So sorry if I missed you this afternoon but it seemed you were just chatting about games above so I thought you had not got into testing things yet.

Well all you have to do is up the FSB until it fails, then you know you need more cpu volts. When you do this make the ram loose and be sure you watch your memory multiplier so you don't overclock your ram way over and not notice that is what is causing you to fail.

You should be able to get 3.4-3.6 easy

Okay, thanks. What about FSB and/or NB voltages, and those two/three important sub-timings like tRFC and Static tRead?

Well it all depends. Likely you wont need and FSB/MCH/NB voltage at all over what you have now.

As for the memory timings, you will have to/should set them all loose until you find your stable CPU overclock. Then tighten them back down when you are done, that way when you fail you know it is your CPU and not your ram

I attempted to overclock to 3.4ghz (425 FSB) and it was a failure!

Lsdmeasap, remember when I said Static tRead value "7" refused to be accepted and attempted to reset all the MIT BIOS settings? A similar thing happened here when I tried to set the FSB at 425 from 400. So unless I know for sure what caused it I don't want to OC further. Can't risk damaging 3200 AUD worth of PC equipment!

It wont be damaged, it will just reboot back to default, you will be fine. Static tread of 7 may only work at certain FSB and certain Ram speeds, and does also depend on your other settings.

Post for me what you tried for 3.4 and I will advise you of some better settings.

Lsdmeasap, here is the MIT BIOS page you requested. That which is in bold has been changed to "try" and sustain 425 FSB/3.4ghz...

R.G.B = auto
    CPU Clock Ratio = 8x
    CPU Host Clock Control = enabled
    CPU Host Frequency = 425 mhz << the target FSB
    PCI-E Frequency = 100 mhz
    CIA2 = disabled
    Performance Enhance = standard
    System Memory Multiplier = 2.00D << still keeps the 1:1 sync

CAS Latency Timer = 5 << I loosened the first 3 to help sustain the new FSB, previously they were all at "4", the 4th value remains at 12
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
    DRAM RAS# precharge = 5
    Precharge Delay = 12

ACT to ACT delay = 3
    Rank write to read delay = 3
    Write to precharge delay = 6
    refresh to act delay = 56
    read to precharge delay = 3
    static tread value = 9 << I think 425 FSB likes this value, just as 400 FSB liked "8"
    static tread phase adjust = auto (0)
    command rate = 2T

System Voltage Control = manual
    DDR2 OV Control = +0.30v
    PCI-E OV Control = normal
    FSB OV Control = +0.10v
    (G)MCH OV Control = +0.100v
    CPU Voltage Control = 1.28125v << EDIT: This is the current value!
    Normal CPU Vcore = 1.25000v

Any further suggestions for 3.4ghz/425fsb would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I tried for 3.6 ghz/450 FSB but the system refused to go to POST screen. I tried 3.5ghz (438 FSB) and it booted fine (no settings above were changed except of course the FSB).
    Last edited by Nova Phoenix; 10-14-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: VCore change!

UPDATE#2
    After having troubles getting to 3.6ghz, I decided to go back to 3.4ghz! The following settings are those that were changed...

CAS Latency Timer = 5
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
    DRAM RAS# precharge = 5
    Precharge Delay = 12
    ^-- I don't think 4-4-4-12 is possible with 425 FSB!
    Static tRead Value = 8 << it seems a value of 8 is possible with 425 FSB after all
    CPU Voltage Control = 1.27500v << lowered one increment from before

UPDATE#3
    I've now found what I am happy with with 425FSB/3.4Ghz! (ps. those two withs are not a typo!)
    System Memory Multiplier: 2.40B (1020mhz)
    Static tRead Value = 7 (yeah i'm surprised too)
    Primary Timings: 5-5-5-12 (changing any of the first three to 4 wouldn't boot)

Nothing else including the Vcore or any other voltages were changed. Anymore advice will be much appreciated, as always.
    Last edited by Nova Phoenix; 10-14-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Well, I was about to post, but seems you are now getting somewhere!! Nice to see

Ya, sometimes depending on ram quality 444-12 wont work after about 840Mhz or so. You should easily be able to use 5-4-4-12 though, did you try that. And this is also dependent on what memory multiplier you are using, letter/symbol for strap wise I mean. Like if you are using a high strap you may not be able to boot 444-12 with a 7trd, but if you use a looser strap you may be able to boot 444-12 at 425FSB

So.......

Let me know again, where you are and if you still need more help. Seems like you are getting the hang of changing things though. Nice to learn what affects what isnt it!

And hey More MCH will help alot when trying 444-12 trd of 7 at higher FSB, as will more then default vcore. But I would think now that I looked again your main issue with 444-12 was either trd 7, strap choice, And for sure More MCH was likely needed
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-14-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Seeing as 4-4-4 and 5-5-5 are only 1ms (correct measurement?) apart, I'm not entirely sure I would miss out on not having the former.

I tried 5-4-4 but it didn't like that either. It did a CMOS reset thing (I guess to protect against unbootable settings) and then everything in MIT was back at default.

Yeah, it is getting pretty easy now. I think I've gained much understanding thanks to your help and that of others.

Well CAS 4 over 5 is a much larger movement the the middle ones would be. But you are right, not actually noticeable in reality

Plus using 555 you will have much more headroom and stability to push things anyway.

Nice to hear you have learned alot, after a few weeks you will know for sure what each setting may or may not be able to do if you keep at them. Knowing how each one affects the others will help you a great deal when trying to push further as you will know which will have to be loosened up and which wont matter so much.

Good luck with your testing, hope you are using BIOS profiles. It will save you alot of time when you need to clear CMOS or things get reverted. F11 on the MAIN page is save, and F12 is load

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information