Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS3 broken? Problems prevent reinstalling Vista, system unstable.

Default Re: EP35-DS3 broken? Problems prevent reinstalling Vista, system unstable.

Have you changed your tRFC setting to atleast 54 in the bios. This is recommended by OCZ when using 4GB or more of RAM.
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...4%2F8GB+memory

You should ideally:-

1) Load up the bios optimized defaults.
    Save & Reboot
    2) Set "Performance Enhance" = Standard
    3) Main Memory settings to = 5-5-5-18
    4) tRFC = 54
    Save & Reboot & Run Memtest

If errors still occur,
    5) Increment the DDR2 voltage by 0.1 volts at a time and test with Memtest.
    Do not exceed 2.1volts though..

I'm assuming this is your RAM, which has the same specs as mine:-
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...b_dual_channel

My RAM:-
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...b_dual_channel
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-08-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Default Re: EP35-DS3 broken? Problems prevent reinstalling Vista, system unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoeller View Post
    Just to make sure: You have set the RAM timings and RAM voltage to the values specified by the RAM manufacturer? The RAM voltage may even need to be set in the BIOS 0.05V - 0.1V above what the manufacturer writes, because of the voltage drop on the board. I assume you have done this, but just to make sure, otherwise any further analysis is useless.
    Well, these are the specs:
    OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Platinum 4GB Dual Channel

Ok, it says 2.1V on the page, but to be honest I haven't changed DDR2 volts from the defaults. It has run now 8.5 hours of memtest 86+ error free with default memory voltage, I have only pumped the MCH volts up by 0.1V. I have also used loose 6-6-6-18 settings, but I reckon that should not cause any instabilities.

About the MCH voltage. I personally would not worry too much about setting the MCH voltage 0.1V above default. What I have seen in forums you wouldn't be the only one that needs to do that. On my GA-EP45-DS3R I can run 4x1GB at default MCH, which may just be luck with my RAM. Besides 4x1GB can be different from 2x2GB and not every board is 100% identical.
    Since this class of MBs (less than 100 euros) have just small passive cooling pieces on the chipset and the more expensive ones have ginormous heatpipe constructs, it scares me to think about pushing the temps even further on the surface of the MB.

Have you checked what the Gigabyte RAM compatibility list says? Only if you can find some OCZ 2x2GB RAM there, you could expect it to run with default MCH.
    Hmm... According this memory compatibility list, there seems to be less than a handful of 2GB memory makers that are supported by this MB (mine is not one of them):

http://tw.giga-byte.com/FileList/Mem...35-ds3_2.1.pdf

Well, perhaps this mobo is not well-suited for 2GB and higher sticks then, and my friends just have had boatloads of luck with their system.

I personally would only RMA something when it is really broken, meaning no more use to me. Or if I am really sure that something is totally wrong (which I would not be in your case).
    [/quote]

Me too, I just know that since the beginning something has not been quite right with this system, errors have forced me to change my 4870 already. It took me over 3 weeks to get replacement. And now there was a meltdown of my Vista install and reinstalls last weekend.. I'm just tipping over the edge to get rid of the entire thing.....

Thanks for your comments though, folks! Perhaps I should try and install XP and run some more stability tests with it before packing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Have you changed your tRFC setting to atleast 54 in the bios. This is recommended by OCZ when using 4GB or more of RAM.
    The importance of tRFC and 4/8GB of memory - OCZ Forum

You should ideally:-

1) Load up the bios optimized defaults.
    Save & Reboot
    2) Set "Performance Enhance" = Standard
    3) Main Memory settings to = 5-5-5-18
    4) tRFC = 54
    Save & Reboot & Run Memtest

If errors still occur,
    5) Increment the DDR2 voltage by 0.1 volts at a time and test with Memtest.
    Do not exceed 2.1volts though..

I'm assuming this is your RAM, which has the same specs as mine:-
    OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Platinum 4GB Dual Channel

My RAM:-
    OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition 4GB Dual Channel
    Yep, that's the stick. I have now set performance enhance=std, 5-4-4-15, tRFC=54, MCH +0.1V and let it run memtest 86+ overnight.

If things are cool in the morning, I might try reinstalling tomorrow based on the encouragement received here.

Sorry for being such a sceptic, but the glass feels half empty right now with all the problems I've had. I was planning an easy build for this PC setup, consisting only with parts that are tried and true by my fellow system builders, who have had luck with their default setup.
    Last edited by eikka; 10-08-2008 at 07:22 AM.

I would set as per the OCZ link I provided tRFC to 54, not 52 as you have just posted. Also if you are looking to setup the memory to it's best specified timings 5-4-4-15, I think you'll have to increment the DDR2 voltage to prevent errors. But as I suggested above, only increment by 0.1volts at a time and test.
    You say yo have increased the MCH voltage by just 0.1 volts (which is fine), but that may not be neccessary and you could try exchanging that increase with the RAM voltage etc.

But try it as you have it set up now and see how it goes.

EDIT: Make sure you set Performance Enhance to STANDARD!
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-08-2008 at 07:07 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Yes, tRFC was set at 54, it was a typo in my mail reply. Perf. enhance is also set to standard.

Let's see what happens with the default DDR2 voltage, but for me lowering MCH to default does not work at all, 140000 errors will occur in single pass if I use the default value (that's what is pressing me to RMA atm).

Quote Originally Posted by eikka View Post
    Yes, tRFC was set at 54, it was a typo in my mail reply. Perf. enhance is also set to standard.

Let's see what happens with the default DDR2 voltage, but for me lowering MCH to default does not work at all, 140000 errors will occur in single pass if I use the default value (that's what is pressing me to RMA atm).
    I understand, but what happens if you "exchange" the voltages?

So MCH to Auto and DDR2 to 1.9 or 2 Volts?

I really don't think you have a board fault and you can see yourself that changing just a few settings has a dramatic affect on stability.

Remember that if you are attempting the memory's advertised "best" settings ie, 5-4-4-15, you may find you run into problems with your board, then again you might not.

Tightening the timings an/or overclocking does take a lot more optimising work for some makes/combinations opposed to others.
    Also many of the Memory manufacturers use different chips over the life of the product. So even if the exact same product exists some months later, it could very likely have different makes/models of chips on the memory module itself.
    So just because one person might say I have X board and Y memory works fine, that might not be the same experience you have with the "exact" same combination.

I've very rarely RMA'd anything, because 99/100 times I've found something else or a combination of something causing the problem.
    When you see people who have RMA'd the same Hard drive/s or motherboard/s etc a few times, they have either been extremely unlucky, or like the manufacturers state, a large number of their returns are No fault Found.

2x2GB will not work with all default settings on a P35 based board. You've gotta increase the NB Overvoltage to +0.1-0.2V (so the volatge is 1.2-1.3V) and you'll also have to loosen the advanced timings alot, especially tRFC and Static tRead (try 56 and 11, respectively, for these values).

Your board is NOT broken... you just need to get your settings right. Although 2x2 mightg be a cheaper solution, its not ideal for Gigabyte P35 boards because they havent got so many BIOS settings you can customise. You're just gonna have to increase the MCH voltage (maybe the strap too) make sure the DRAM voltage is right (2-2.1V for Platinums) and loosen your timings alot, then run MemTest86+ and loosen them until you get errors. Just keep fiddling with your settings 1 at a time and it'll start working for you.
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Thanks for posting guys. I just asked because I felt he needed some reassurance that additional MCH voltage is a norm with 2x2GB

Thank you lsdmeasap for the reassurance, my apologies for being sceptical... Here are the results from my nightly memtest run:

I have set following changes from the default settings:

performance enhance: std,
    memory timings: 5-4-4-15,
    tRFC: 54,
    MCH overvoltage: +0.1V

This is left as default:
    DDR overvoltage: normal

The result is 6.5 hours with no errors!

I did also second test according to VorLonUKs recommendation with following settings:

DDR overvoltage: +0.2V

This is left as default:
    MCH overvoltage: normal

I ran two passes, no errors. My earlier tests with +0.1V DDR were not successful, so the trick is to use at least 2.0V to the OCZ sticks.

So.. it seems that the memory/memory controller voltages have been too low in my default setup after all...

Do you think either of the above configuration is ok and stable?
    If I want to be on a safe side and loosen the memory timings a tiny bit, would you recommend 5-4-4-18 or something more loose?
    Last edited by eikka; 10-08-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Thank you lsdmeasap for the reassurance, my apologies for being sceptical... Here are the results from my nightly memtest run:

I have set following changes from the default settings:

MCH overvoltage: +0.1V

This is left as default:
    DDR overvoltage: normal

The result is 6.5 hours with no errors!

I did also second test according to VorLonUKs recommendation with following settings:

DDR overvoltage: +0.2V

This is left as default:
    MCH overvoltage: normal

I ran two passes, no errors. My earlier tests with +0.1V DDR were not successful, so the trick is to use at least 2.0V to the OCZ sticks.

So.. it seems that the memory/memory controller voltages have been too low in my default setup after all...

Do you think either of the above configuration is ok and stable?
    If I want to be on a safe side and loosen the memory timings a tiny bit, would you recommend 5-4-4-18 or something more loose?
    The way i see it and the way i have set up my board at present is with looser timings and I prefer doing that for starters with all the voltages at stock.

On my P35 (see sig) incrementing the DDR2 voltage by 0.1volts doesn't appear to raise the voltage (according to the PC Health Screen) to anything higher than 1.840volts, however incrementing by 0.2volts which in theory gives a DDR2 voltage of 2.0volts actually gives 1.98 volts.

Personally if I'm not overclocking and wish to use the memory's best advertised specification, then as I've mentioned above I'd use all the boards defaults, bar:-

1) Performance Enhance = Standard
    2) tRFC = 54 or 56
    3) DDR2 Voltage = 1.8, 1.9 or 2.0volts.

Now if that was stable and memtest reported no errors, i personally wouldn't touch another setting even the MCH one.

If I wanted to then overclock and KEEP those tight timings I would then consider incrementing the MCH voltage etc, but I'd most likely (and have) relaxed the timings when overclocking. (5-5-5-18)

If you want additional info, you can find more specific info on the OCZ forums.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-08-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information